Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

jlai

Question everything
I think there is something to be said about staying calm with a referee but I also see the tech advantage.

*Jen*

IIRC Hawkeye makes the calls at the Australian Open but players are allowed to challenge. I don’t think a single call was wrong/overruled last time, and I also don’t recall players getting mad at the AI!

Desperado

Venus Williams vs Rebecca Marino - my love of underdogs is torn.

ETA. I meant “come back stories”, me tired. 😩

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Saw Elizabeth Mandlik, daughter of Hana Mandlikova (4-time grand slam champion) blow Alison Riske off the court last night in San Jose. She might be ranked as 232 in the world, but not much longer. Her twin brother plays at the University of Oklahoma as well.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Daria Kasatkina won the final in San Jose, CA - this clip cuts off just before she hugs girlfriend Natalia Zabiiako: https://twitter.com/TennisChannel/status/1556456338233987074

ETA:

Awww :): https://twitter.com/NataliaZabiiako/status/1556481216135716864

She also tweeted 2 photos of them after the trophy presentation together with these words - "It’s difficult to perform and compete, but how difficult is to cheer and worry about people you love!
So happy for you @DKasatkina": https://twitter.com/NataliaZabiiako/status/1556524914244403200

Last edited:

Desperado

Victoria Azarenka will not be Toronto because of her “visa not being approved”. Canada has been terrible in approving visas for scientists attending an AIDS conference in Montréal but as far as I know, she’s the only players who had a visa issue.

Watching Serena right now. Both Williams sisters are playing today along with Leylah Fernandez. 🤩

It’s raining ☔️ in Montréal so no ATP play yet.

Sylvia

TBD
Serena won 6-3 6-4 over Spain's Nuria Parrizas-Diaz in Toronto.

Kaitlin Hawayek posted an Instagram story photo with Félix Auger-Aliassime (he turned 22 today; men are competing in Montreal this year) to wish him a happy birthday and that wrote that she's "Excited to cheer you on this week!"

hydro

Serena finally ready to start talking about what's next: https://www.wtatennis.com/news/2736460/serena-williams-i-m-ready-for-what-s-next-

This makes me so sad. :wuzrobbed I have longed for her to get that 24th Grand Slam title so badly. I just can't even that a person I loathe and despise in Court will likely hold onto the Women's all-time Grand Slam record for who knows how long. :blah: :scream:

The Vogue article Serena wrote is really beautiful and worth a read.

Margaret Court's record is so arbitrary. The way it's called an "all-time" record is disingenuous, because it's anything but. While Court was a note-worthy champion, her grand slam title count is meaningless. She didn't win those slams, I believe eight of them, when they were slams. They were tier 3 events if that. It'd be like going retroactively back and claiming the Miami Open is a slam, and thus Serena won it 7 times, so she's a 30 time grand slam champion. It's completely made-up. (And Miami had an even more competitive field than any of Court's Australian Open titles).

Why the Tennis media insists on inaccurately counting those pre-open era slams is beyond me. I guess it makes for a good story, but it's an apples to asteroids comparison.

Desperado

Serena played her last match in Canada, beaten by Belinda Bencic who was quite gracious in giving Serena the floor for an interview and short goodbye ceremony.

It looked a bit rushed and awkward, probably because Serena, from her Vogue text, is heartbroken about retiring and the tournament was also not given much of a heads up.

There was also a slight misstep from the interviewer who mentioned birthday celebrations (she was gifted Toronto NBA and NHL jerseys) and Serena said she doesn’t celebrate birthdays for her or her daughter.

I wish her last match would’ve been in Montreal with her speaking a few words in French as she always liked to do, but it is what it is.

On to Cincinnati now I think.

ice coverage

Serena designed a figure skating ⛸️ -inspired dress for her to wear at the U.S. Open.

ESPN's article has photos of her dress, jacket, and sneakers. Excerpt (emphasis added):

"As she prepares to play in the final tennis tournament of her illustrious career, Serena Williams and Nike have a series of elevated outfits and sneakers in store for the US Open.

Designed months ago through insights from Williams, the tennis icon will take the court in a figure skating-inspired dress. With cues and construction details drawing from the competition dresses often worn on ice, according to Nike, Williams was looking to draw on the gracefulness and elegance of the figure skating silhouette.

The skirt is made with six layers, as a nod to her six prior singles titles at Flushing Meadows, which began in 1999 with her first US Open championship at age 17. Nike is also providing Williams with a matching jacket and tote bag for her arrival, each featuring affixed crystals meant to shine bright through the evening tennis match." ...

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/34482087/serena-williams-wear-diamond-encrusted-nike-fit (Aug 29)​

From Nike's press release today:

"... For her latest outfit for Flushing, Serena took control, providing the full vision and dialing the details for a thrilling design created to make her feel comfortable and confident.

Inspired by graceful competition dresses worn by figure skaters, the embellished bodice and the skirt place Serena in the spotlight and allow her freedom of movement. ..."

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

I am, as well, but probably not nearly as much as his tiktok influencer/model girlfriend (Fritz was married with a baby, but must have gotten divorced). She had several two-page spreads in NYC publications talking about all of the outfits she planned to wear at his matches.
I think that Fritz is a trust fund baby and may not be hungry enough. I remember when he married his ex-wife. I remember that she was 18 and I think he was 20. A lot of people on tour thought he was crazy for getting married that young.

nylynnr

I think that Fritz is a trust fund baby and may not be hungry enough.
It's true his mother is a member of the May Dept. store family, but she was a top player in her own right, and his father was a pro as well.... I thought Fritz was having a breakthrough season but this result kind of nips it in the bud. Not as shocking as Tsitsipas losing to a qualifier, but still.

Speaking of the Open, I went out to watch practices the last few days and Nadal looks abysmal. He cannot seem to get a serve over the net, and has taken about 10-15 mph off his first serve. I haven't read any tennis reporters comments on this, so perhaps I exaggerate, but many in the crowd were shocked. Will be interesting to watch him tonight.

sk9tingfan

It's true his mother is a member of the May Dept. store family, but she was a top player in her own right, and his father was a pro as well.... I thought Fritz was having a breakthrough season but this result kind of nips it in the bud. Not as shocking as Tsitsipas losing to a qualifier, but still.

Speaking of the Open, I went out to watch practices the last few days and Nadal looks abysmal. He cannot seem to get a serve over the net, and has taken about 10-15 mph off his first serve. I haven't read any tennis reporters comments on this, so perhaps I exaggerate, but many in the crowd were shocked. Will be interesting to watch him tonight.
Most likely due to the abdominal tears he suffered previously. His body is falling apart. I would hate to see him go out on a low. How sad.:fragile:

nylynnr

Most likely due to the abdominal tears he suffered previously. His body is falling apart. I would hate to see him go out on a low. How sad.:fragile:

I am a huge Rafa fan, but let's face it, he has had his day and then some. I fear inviting Ben Stiller to join his team for dinner means the end is nigh.

Sylvia

TBD

NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on the U.S. Open tennis tournament (all times local):

12:10 a.m.

The children of past champions Tracy Austin and Hana Mandlikova are making their own U.S. Open memories.

Brandon Holt, Austin’s son, knocked off No. 10-seeded Taylor Fritz in four sets after advancing through the qualifying tournament into his first Grand Slam main draw.

Holt says he couldn’t remember what advice Austin, the 1979 and 1981 U.S. Open women’s champion, gave him before the match, but that it was probably to have fun and enjoy it.

Austin also owned a victory over Kathy May, Fritz’s mother, from a tournament in Philadelphia in 1978.

Mandlikova’s daughter, Elizabeth Mandlik, received a wild card into the tournament and edged Tamara Zidansek 5-7, 7-6 (3), 6-4.

Mandlikova won the 1985 U.S. Open for one of her four Grand Slam singles titles.

Aaron MB Fan

And defending champion Raducanu is out in the first round at the USO losing in straight sets to Cornet. Her ranking will plummet to around #79, one of the lowest rankings ever for a Grand Slam winner the year after their first win. I believe if Dart wins her next match she will take over the British #1 spot.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Don’t count Rafa out :mad: He has had all kinds of nasty injuries this year and still won 2 slams and a few other tournaments. Yes he is being pretty cautious with the serve so he doesn’t re-tear the last injury. If it wasn’t for that he might have won all 4 slams this year.

Positive vibes for Rafa! :kickass:

sk9tingfan

Too nervous to watch Serena vs. Kontaveit live.... They split two sets. As of right now, Serena is ahead 2-0 in the third, with Kontaveit with an advantage in the 3rd game with Serena serving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information