Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Could not watch this live during the last 15 minutes. Watched the score on Google and simultaneously recorded it on my DVR. I've been doing this more frequently and not just tennis.
I had to do that during Novak's SF. I always watch the first two sets unless it's a nerve-killer. Hopefully Novak today in three...

sk9tingfan

I had to do that during Novak's SF. I always watch the first two sets unless it's a nerve-killer. Hopefully Novak today in three...
Looking forward to the woman's doubles final. Nervous for McNally and Gauff and would so like them to win. I can't help but think that this continued success will be good for their respective singles games. Surprised that Gauff has not been more successful. It's almost that Gauff is deliberately pacing herself and hiding to protect herself.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Looking forward to the woman's doubles final. Nervous for McNally and Gauff and would so like them to win. I can't help but think that this continued success will be good for their respective singles games. Surprised that Gauff has not been more successful. It's almost that Gauff is deliberately pacing herself and hiding to protect herself.
Yes. Who would have thought that the final would be two unheralded teenagers, and she wasn't one of them!!! I like Coco's game, and playing doubles will help her net game, like the Williamses. I'm glad she's playing doubles, and very successfully!

quartz

scratching at the light
Okay! Got the kitchen mostly cleaned up after the husband’s salsa making event, and I see I haven’t missed anything yet. Will be rooting for Medvedev as he is a slightly more tolerable doof than Djokovic.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I hear you. I don't exactly love Novak's words/behavior but I'm still rooting for history to be made. I probably wouldn't want to know him personally, much like I feel with that awful homophobic witch Margaret Court.

jenny12

Rooting for Medvedev and he's looking good so far but I'm just going to assume Djokovic comes back and wins this.

Glad I was wrong! ;)

Last edited:

caseyedwards

Medvedev serve was so good! Saying djokovic was too tired to face it seems wrong. He seemed normal. It’s like when cilic had that great 2014 at the us open based on his serve being on. The serve was impenetrable except when he was being heckled.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I’m happy with this :40beers: Congrats to Medvedev on his first slam, and I will still keep my fingers crossed that the big 3 will be in Melbourne for 21. Or if not all 3 at least 2 of them. Rafa is now recovering from his surgery.

Aaron MB Fan

Wow I really didn’t expect this! I’m not a huge fan of Novak solely due to his personality as compared to Roger and Rafa, but I really wanted someone from this elite generation of Serena, Novak, Roger and Rafa to have the Calendar Career Grand Slam.

It has been so long since any male or female player did that, and I feel like those 4, especially Novak and Serena who came within 1-2 matches of doing it deserve to have that honour as I view them at par with the greats like Graf, Laver, etc.

And I really want a female to have that honour and also win more Slams to reduce the impact of Court whom I have no respect for. Feels like it may not happen anytime soon in this current era of play with how physical the game has become.

ioana

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
This is so cute, it has an interview with Emma when she was 11. She looks exactly the same, just smaller :D

DaveRocks

Eh?
Probably not much of a surprise, but Raducanu lost her opening match at Indian Wells. She was defeated in straight sets by Sasnovich, ranked 100, but as high as #30 a few years ago.

Fernandez was on fire in her opening match, beating Crozet 6-2, 6-3. Her next match is gonna be a tough one; she plays Pavlyuchenkova, currently #11 in the world.

It was great to see Murray win his opener! :cheer2: He plays Alcaraz next. I'm torn who to cheer for in that match!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I've been seeing buzz that a "controversial" Olympic female athlete is preparing to come out soon. I wonder if it is Naomi Osaka? It kind of makes sense, with how she's been acting all year. If it is she, I hope she does come out and that it will be one less 'thing' to pull her down emotionally.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Has anyone read Billie Jean King's autobiography "All In"? I just read a review, and I requested my library to order it and I'm first in line. BJK has lived an incredible life. This will be a very good and interesting read.

hoptoad

Anyone following this story? It seems like this tennis player has just disappeared after making a #metoo claim.

eusebius

Anyone following this story? It seems like this tennis player has just disappeared after making a #metoo claim.
Yes it appears that no one has heard from Peng Shuai in some time. This is really scary ...

Desperado

Press release from the WTA asking for a transparent investigation into the allegations. They state:

“Peng Shuai, and all women, deserve to be heard, not censored.”

They’re also threatening to pull tournaments out of China, so kudos.

Also saw on Twitter Ben Rothenberg reporting that the WTA CEO (Steve Simon) said they had heard from multiple sources that she was safe. One of the sources mentioned is Tennis China so I’m still not quite convinced.

eusebius

Press release from the WTA asking for a transparent investigation into the allegations. They state:

“Peng Shuai, and all women, deserve to be heard, not censored.”

They’re also threatening to pull tournaments out of China, so kudos.

Also saw on Twitter Ben Rothenberg reporting that the WTA CEO (Steve Simon) said they had heard from multiple sources that she was safe. One of the sources mentioned is Tennis China so I’m still not quite convinced.
I do hope that she is safe and will continue to be!!

Sylvia

TBD
Statement from Steve Simon today:
... with the full support of the WTA Board of Directors, I am announcing the immediate suspension of all WTA tournaments in China, including Hong Kong. In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault. Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022.
I have been gratified by the massive amount of international support the WTA has received for its position on this matter. To further protect Peng and many other women throughout the world, it is more urgent than ever for people to speak out. The WTA will do everything possible to protect its players. As we do so, I hope leaders around the world will continue to speak out so justice can be done for Peng, and all women, no matter the financial ramifications.
I very much regret it has come to this point. The tennis communities in China and Hong Kong are full of great people with whom we have worked for many years. They should be proud of their achievements, hospitality and success. However, unless China takes the steps we have asked for, we cannot put our players and staff at risk by holding events in China. China’s leaders have left the WTA with no choice. I remain hopeful that our pleas will be heard and the Chinese authorities will take steps to legitimately address this issue.”

caseyedwards

Lol would you believe this is toughest action ever against totalitarian communist China? Even after tiananmen square America gave China great trade status

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information