Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Awww :( For a moment I thought I might actually get my dream final. Oh well. At least Rafa made it :kickass: Hopefully Stefanos will have many more chances in future.

jlai

Question everything
This Is one of the shortest games in one of the longest rivalries in tennis history

D

Deleted member 40371

Try Google translating Świątek to Catalan and you get Nadal :)

Congrats Nadal, I am so happy. I read somewhere that Nadal winning the French open is the most normal thing to happen in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvia

TBD
Roger Federer's post after Nadal's victory: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNcspGlSi7/
I have always had the utmost respect for my friend Rafa as a person and as a champion. As my greatest rival over many years, I believe we have pushed each other to become better players. Therefore, it is a true honor for me to congratulate him on his 20th Grand Slam victory. It is especially amazing that he has now won Roland Garros an incredible 13 times, which is one of the greatest achievements in sport. I also congratulate his team, because nobody can do this alone. I hope 20 is just another step on the continuing journey for both of us. Well done, Rafa. You deserve it.
Iga Swiatek shared these 2 photos with the trophy earlier today: https://www.instagram.com/p/CGNHqeighdi/

Desperado

Sam Querrey abruptly left St-Petersburg, Russia after he, his wife and 8-month old child tested positive for the crud.

ESPN article

On top of this selfish decision, I strongly question his judgment in having his family travel across the globe in a pandemic.

I hope his child will not suffer any more ill effects from this.

mjb52

Seeing this thread updated made me curious about whether there was ever any follow-up to the Querrey incident. I found this: https://tinyurl.com/y2utqxjq from around a week ago. One of the stranger stories to come up with all of this imo.

Sylvia

TBD
The Australian Open qualifying tournament is taking place now in Doha, Qatar (men) and Dubai UAE (women).

Today's update:

Francisco Cerundolo of Argentina and American Denis Kudla have been withdrawn from the Australian Open qualifying event in Doha after testing positive for COVID-19, organisers Tennis Australia said on Tuesday.

Last edited:

*Jen*

Predictable.

Tennis stars slam Australian Open quarantine rules . Also predictable.

It's a huge shame that the players were seemingly given wrong or incomplete information and couldn't make an informed decision about whether it was worth their while coming, but sympathy in Australia is very limited and they're being slammed on twitter. Australia worked very hard to eliminate the crud from the community, and given it's an airborne disease that doesn't respect "sections" of planes, they were never going to be allowed out to train if exposed. The strict quarantine requirements are the main reason the country is almost crud free.

Desperado

Twitter also showed Novak Djokovic and Svetlana Kuznetsova not wearing a mask on transport bus and plane respectively, not a good look.

And poor Yulia Putintseva was stuck for hours with a mouse in her room. :eek: I would not have handled that well. :yikes:

skatingguy

decently
Twitter also showed Novak Djokovic and Svetlana Kuznetsova not wearing a mask on transport bus and plane respectively, not a good look.

And poor Yulia Putintseva was stuck for hours with a mouse in her room. :eek: I would not have handled that well. :yikes:
Yeah, there supposed to be quarantining alone. If the mouse ends up testing positive for the virus Putinseva will have made the trip to Australia for nothing.

*Jen*

Djokovic is a known covidiot :rolleyes:

But OMG poor Putintseva! I wouldn’t have handled that well either. Mice freak me out so badly.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I don't understand why this international event was allowed to run in the first place. Victorians have sacrificed so much to eliminate the virus.

Apparently, the State Government and Tennis Australia feared that if another city outside Australia offered to host, that they would try to take this prestigious Grand Slam event from Australia for good.

Too bad that some of the tennis players arriving here for the event are behaving like entitled brats.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
The worst part is everyone's acting all shocked and horrified that a bunch of the tennis players are acting like brats. They're tennis players! Of course they're acting like brats!

Even the Indian cricket team were better behaved, and I had no such lofty expectations of them!

Desperado

It has been confirmed, Yulia got a hopefully mouse free new room. 😁

Players have the same refrain, that they were not told they would need to quarantine if a case was found on the plane. Not sure where the comms break happened.

It is brutal to not be allowed fresh air for 14 straight days or to train on a court, so I understand their dismay, but complaining IG messages often lack perspective.

One player who I haven’t seen complain is Bianca Andreescu. Her coach was one of the positives on the Abu Dhabi plane. He seems like a good guy so he must be crestfallen, but from what I’ve seen recently, I also wonder how seriously players and they entourage shieldagainst the virus.

The flight from Doha also had a positive case so 72 players are now in hard quarantine. :yikes:

skatingguy

decently
It has been confirmed, Yulia got a hopefully mouse free new room. 😁

Players have the same refrain, that they were not told they would need to quarantine if a case was found on the plane. Not sure where the comms break happened.

It is brutal to not be allowed fresh air for 14 straight days or to train on a court, so I understand their dismay, but complaining IG messages often lack perspective.

One player who I haven’t seen complain is Bianca Andreescu. Her coach was one of the positives on the Abu Dhabi plane. He seems like a good guy so he must be crestfallen, but from what I’ve seen recently, I also wonder how seriously players and they entourage shieldagainst the *****.

The flight from Doha also had a positive case so 72 players are now in hard quarantine. :yikes:
Well there was this statement from Craig Tiley in October.
Er28Qx4U0AEBdFh

sk8nlizard

I think that Australia is doing the right thing with the quarantine but I do agree with the players that the updated quarantine procedures should have been communicated to them. It makes it seem like Tennis Australia was being shady. I imagine If players knew the whole plane would be quarantined, more would have pulled out of the tournament. I hope everyone stays healthy and that this doesn’t hurt this Grand Slam in the future!

manhn

It seems like such a weird rule, either have everyone quarantine or not. To have players quarantine if they happen to be on a plane with another person who tested positive will just highlight the class inequalities of the sport. Don’t The higher ranked players board private jets?

Desperado

The planes were chartered especially for the Australian Open so the cases are players or a member of their entourage. Just showing up guarantees each of them $100,000 Australian dollars and free room and board at the Hyatt. That's privilege for all.

Some very special VIPs (Djokovic, Nadal, Osaka, Serena Williams, etc.) get to have even more (of course) by "quarantining" in Adelaide and playing in an exhibition (article).

So inequalities, yes, but the baseline is high for everyone.

starrynight

Really weird that Tennis Australia would try to tell them that sitting on the same plane as a positive rona case would not get them hard quarantined.

When transmission of rona amongst a floor of a quarantine hotel resulted in the guests having extended 4 week long hotel quarantines recently. A friend of a friend hasn't even been quarantining in a hotel on her return from UK - it was a miner's hut at a mining camp in the Northern Territory.

Australia has some of the strictest entrance quarantine procedures in the world, so it's utterly bizarre to me that there was an attempt to have a heap of tennis players bypass it??

There's stories in the media that some of them are attempting to breach it and that if that continues the trouble makers will end up in a special facility under police guard. But hopefully someone in their teams will explain to them the virus control measures are more important than a sporting competition.

But yes, the thing is in Australia the government has the power to quarantine people hard and even for over a month if it deems necessary. And Tennis Australia really can't do anything about that.

EDIT: Just told that Tennis Australia did tell the players about the quarantine procedure but they didn't pay attention. So I retract my comments about Tennis Australia's procedures.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information