Love, Balls and Courting: Tennis V

Fiero425

Why are we comparing Pete Sampras to the big three? That's not even a good comparison in more ways than one.

It's what historians do! Heaven knows I've invoked the name of Laver & Borg more than a few times over the yrs.! :rolleyes:

jlai

Question everything
Hey, One guy just can’t compare with three guys combined, esp with the records each of the three brings.

Anyway, nail biter on the ladies side today on some of the matches.

Fiero425

Hey, One guy just can’t compare with three guys combined, esp with the records each of the three brings.

Anyway, nail biter on the ladies side today on some of the matches.

Iga's beginning to bug me! I was hoping she'd fill the void left by Serena, Barty, & Osaka, but she overplays shots all too often! Bencic can be on the run, but instead of hitting behind her, Swiatek just goes ahead and whacks the ball right to her! She made the match go entirely too long and deserved to lose! :eek: :rolleyes::scream::confused:

Lacey

Ons Jabeur, of Tunisia, played great throughout the tournament, but Czech Republic's Marketa Vondrousova was the better player today. Congratulations to her!

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Marketa Vondroušová (CZE), 24, is the first unseeded Ladies' Singles Wimbledon champion in the Open Era! She defeated:
#6 Ons Jabeur (TUN) 6-4 6-4
Elina Svitolina (UKR wildcard) 6-3 6-3
#4 Jessica Pegula (USA) 6-4 2-6 6-4
#32 Marie Bouzková (CZE) 2-6 6-4 6-4
#20 Donna Vekić (CRO) 6-1 7-5
#12 Veronika Kudermetova (RUS) 6-3 6-3
Peyton Stearns (USA) 6-2 7-5

SidelineSkater

Marketa Vondroušová (CZE), 24, is the first unseeded Ladies' Singles Wimbledon champion in the Open Era! She defeated:
#6 Ons Jabeur (TUN) 6-4 6-4
Elina Svitolina (UKR wildcard) 6-3 6-3
#4 Jessica Pegula (USA) 6-4 2-6 6-4
#32 Marie Bouzková (CZE) 2-6 6-4 6-4
#20 Donna Vekić (CRO) 6-1 7-5
#12 Veronika Kudermetova (RUS) 6-3 6-3
Peyton Stearns (USA) 6-2 7-5
I love an underdog and all the history makers, but I was really rooting for Ons. All the pressure was on her and she couldn’t capitalize when she had opportunity. She played an excellent tournament until today.

Desperado

Interesting pairing in invitiational/masters doubles… James Blake and Lleyton Hewitt…
Good showing against the Bryan brothers too. It would’ve been more fair to separate them but Wimbledon has never been known for fairness and it could’ve been a requirement to participate too.

Martina Hingis and Kim Clijsters won the Women’s Doubles again this year. They were fun to watch.

Desperado

Jessica Pegula blows Samsonova out of the water at the Canadian Open. 6-1, 6-0 in 49 minutes.
I feel bad for Samsonova who had to play a really late match against Kasatkina Friday, and wait until late in the evening Saturday to see her semi-final match postponed to a few hours before the final. Weather wasn't kind, but neither was the scheduling throughout the week. She took the WTA to task for this in her press conference.

Full congrats to Jessica Pegula however, who had no control over the situation either.

sk9tingfan

Pegula gave as much as she got in her match against Swiatek as well as playing in doubles through the round of 16. Her three hour quarter final match against Gauff going 6-3, 5-7, 7-5 with very windy conditions was no walk in the park

skatingguy

decently
I feel bad for Samsonova who had to play a really late match against Kasatkina Friday, and wait until late in the evening Saturday to see her semi-final match postponed to a few hours before the final. Weather wasn't kind, but neither was the scheduling throughout the week. She took the WTA to task for this in her press conference.

Full congrats to Jessica Pegula however, who had no control over the situation either.
That was Rybakina that played Kasatkina late Friday/Early Saturday - finished just before 3am local time - Rybakina then lost to Samsonova in the semis on Sunday.

Desperado

That was Rybakina that played Kasatkina late Friday/Early Saturday - finished just before 3am local time - Rybakina then lost to Samsonova in the semis on Sunday.
Oops - thanks. I got confused over the delays and was too lazy to reconfirm. Still, scheduling sucked all around. Next year the Canadian Open will be over 2 weeks so hopefully things will be better for all involved.

skatingguy

decently
Oops - thanks. I got confused over the delays and was too lazy to reconfirm. Still, scheduling sucked all around. Next year the Canadian Open will be over 2 weeks so hopefully things will be better for all involved.
I believe it's 2025 for Canada, and Cincinnati to change to 2 week events. Still some of the same issues will occur, but maybe they will add a roof to the main stadium, and that would relieve some of the issue with matches being delayed.

Fiero425

I believe it's 2025 for Canada, and Cincinnati to change to 2 week events. Still some of the same issues will occur, but maybe they will add a roof to the main stadium, and that would relieve some of the issue with matches being delayed.

I heard Shanghai is going 2 weeks this season in Oct.! :scream: :cool::rolleyes:

skatingguy

decently
I heard Shanghai is going 2 weeks this season at the end of the year! IDK why? It's indoors & doesn't have weather issues! :confused:
The reason that they're changing the events to two weeks is to allow for larger draws - 96 players in the main draws like Indian Wells & Miami have been for many years - which allows for more sessions, and that means more tickets to be sold, and more television revenue. Also a two week event allows for days off for the players in the early rounds so in theory better quality tennis as the event proceeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information