Looking Back: 2000 Worlds Ladies LP - Slutskaya vs Butyrskaya vs Gusmeroli

giselle23

My final word on this is that all three of these skaters--Slute, Bute and Kwan--were just larger than life figures. I think they make today's skaters seem like kindergartners in terms of personality, ice presence and competitiveness. Add in Sasha Cohen, and the late 90s, early 2000s was the golden age of ladies skating, to me, at least.

Marco

I doubt Maria landing that second Salchow attempt would have had any effect on the outcome. She only narrowly beat Gusmeroli, and came nowhere close to Slutskaya on most scorecards.

I think if she had just landed the solo sal, the outcome might not have changed (although it should, since I think she already deserved 2nd without either sals).

If she had landed the 3sal in combination instead, she could have beaten Slutskaya - because it would have been a difficult 3-3 sequence that Slutskaya didn't have and would have been her only clean combination.

I was just thinking about the strategy for RUS Fed mid-competition: Kwan and Bute had already skated - and Slutskaya could theoretically beat both if she was on - but she wasn't. Once her 3/3 passes had come and gone without actual attempts, should someone yell to her mid-skate to maybe double the final 3toe? She would still secure a bronze for herself but would ensure RUS would win the gold. Of course I am pretty sure Slutskaya wouldn't listen. :p

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I always kind of questioned Butyrskaya's strategy to try the 3sal again instead of the scheduled 3loop/2toe. The salchow was her weakest jump (after the flip), the loop was definitely her strongest. I guess she wanted to demonstrate a full set of clean triples, but I don't think it would have made any difference with the judges marks? Why risk trying the salchow again when she could do another clean loop?

Again, not that it would have made any difference in the standings, but I could have wuzrobbed her even harder.

My final word on this is that all three of these skaters--Slute, Bute and Kwan--were just larger than life figures. I think they make today's skaters seem like kindergartners in terms of personality, ice presence and competitiveness. Add in Sasha Cohen, and the late 90s, early 2000s was the golden age of ladies skating, to me, at least.

So many diverse personalities and styles! I miss it, too. Although things are looking more promising today: Wagner, Osmond, Daleman, Radionova, Miyahara...

asdf334

That's harsh, even for me. :lol: Speaking of costumes, has it ever been validated that Kwan lost her luggage at 2001 Worlds, which is why she wore what looks like a practice dress for her LP? Don't get me wrong, it was a nice looking practice dress.

I thought she talked about it in the TSL interview?

bardtoob

Gusmeroli's free is my favourite ladiezzz programme of all-time. All the spins at the end were an artistique statement! :glamor:

I'm going to have to rewatch it. The IJS has caused me to look at programs as the sum of their parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information