Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

watchthis!!

Who doesn’t like a warm blanket on a cold, rainy day? The movie equivalent of that is A Birder’s Guide To Everything. Kodi Smit-McPhee and Alex Wolff play birders (not birdwatchers!) who believe they may have spotted an extinct duck. They spend a weekend searching for it along with a friend and a newcomer to their group. I liked how this movie had a more realistic portrayal of teens rather than the stereotypes we see of teenagers in film. And the winning performances help to elevate an already good story. Ben Kingsley and James LeGros co-star.

smurfy

I ventured back to the movie theatre. I was a past member of the A List at AMC and they gave an offer - $5 for first month, 3 month signup. Get to see 3 movies per week, I can average one per week - so a good deal.
I saw 'The Eyes of Tammy Faye'. Great movie. I have always enjoyed Jessica Chastain and she did not disappoint. Garfield was pretty good too.
From Tammy Faye's point of view - ignorant wife, unaware of what her husband was doing, yea right.
I had never heard of them when their scandal broke back in the 80s - and they were comedy fodder with her crying and the mascara running. So I knew about them from the scandal.
I have never watched any of those religious shows/pastors - and not very in depth, but movie provides a glimpse into the connection of Baker with Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell. Greedy bunch and film shows Tammy was not stupid and knew how to play politics. They showed that they grew these networks - and before cable/internet - pretty amazing how much they grew.

manhn

Judy is on Netflix, and I finally got to see it. The movie is fine, the first half works better than the second. Renee is FANTASTIC. I know very little about Judy Garland but I felt I was watching Judy, not Renee. She was particularly great in the quiet moments (the domestic scenes with the gay couple).

PeterG

Who doesn’t like a warm blanket on a cold, rainy day? The movie equivalent of that is A Birder’s Guide To Everything. Kodi Smit-McPhee and Alex Wolff play birders (not birdwatchers!) who believe they may have spotted an extinct duck. They spend a weekend searching for it along with a friend and a newcomer to their group. I liked how this movie had a more realistic portrayal of teens rather than the stereotypes we see of teenagers in film. And the winning performances help to elevate an already good story. Ben Kingsley and James LeGros co-star.

I just watched "Interrogation" with Kodi Smit-McPhee in it. He played a ragged, drugged out elder teen basically abandoned by his family. So different from his doe-eyed, innocent younger roles. He seems to be a forgotten movie star. Maybe because he's a bit strange looking? He was in two X-Men movies, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes and the wonderful Let Me In. He will be in the upcoming The Power Of The Dog (which we've talked about) and in 2022, a movie called Elvis. I have no idea what that will be about.

vgerdes

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I just watched "Interrogation" with Kodi Smit-McPhee in it. He played a ragged, drugged out elder teen basically abandoned by his family. So different from his doe-eyed, innocent younger roles. He seems to be a forgotten movie star. Maybe because he's a bit strange looking? He was in two X-Men movies, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes and the wonderful Let Me In. He will be in the upcoming The Power Of The Dog (which we've talked about) and in 2022, a movie called Elvis. I have no idea what that will be about.
I've heard of him, but didn't know what he looked like.

If Hugo Weaving and Uma Thurman had a baby together, maybe Kodi would be the result.

manhn

Unsurprised. I thought Shang Chi was a much better movie. I really like Scarlett, and I didn't hate it, but IMO the BW movie was not one of Marvel's best (it didn't hold up as well as others on a second viewing).

I have not watched either (I would probably prefer Shang Chi for various reasons) but wasn’t Black Widow on streaming services the same time as its movie release (or very soon after)? There’s a big lawsuit. I don’t think it has much to do with quality of either movie.

PeterG

I have not watched either (I would probably prefer Shang Chi for various reasons) but wasn’t Black Widow on streaming services the same time as its movie release (or very soon after)? There’s a big lawsuit. I don’t think it has much to do with quality of either movie.

As more and more people get vaccinated, I would expect that month after month, the major movie releases will do better than whatever was released the month before. People are slowly moving towards feeling comfortable being in a movie theatre again. Plus seating restrictions are being relaxed as time goes on, so movies released in 2020 and in the earlier months of 2021 had less opportunity to bring in box office revenue as less seats were available to be used.

In the future when I look back at movies released in 2020 and 2021 (and maybe 2022.......) I will wonder, how much would that movie have made in "normal" times?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't think the fact that it was released on streaming services hurt the box office. There are two movies out now that I would like to see. But I'm not paying to see them in the theater. I will wait for them to stream. If they stream at the same time as all the hype about being released, even better. Because if they wait to stream them, I will probably forget to watch them.

PeterG

I don't think the fact that it was released on streaming services hurt the box office. There are two movies out now that I would like to see. But I'm not paying to see them in the theater. I will wait for them to stream. If they stream at the same time as all the hype about being released, even better. Because if they wait to stream them, I will probably forget to watch them.

So not everyone keeps a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or two...) of movies they want to see?? :shuffle:

watchthis!!

October 15th: Halloween Kills

Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode. In the last movie, the Strode women left Michael Meyers caged in the basement of a burning house. But could he have...ESCAPED? You bet your sequel! Judy Greer and Will Patton return with Anthony Michael Hall joining the cast.

I've heard of him, but didn't know what he looked like.

If Hugo Weaving and Uma Thurman had a baby together, maybe Kodi would be the result.

Well, maybe...they ARE HIS PARENTS!!! :eek:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Judy is on Netflix, and I finally got to see it. The movie is fine, the first half works better than the second. Renee is FANTASTIC. I know very little about Judy Garland but I felt I was watching Judy, not Renee. She was particularly great in the quiet moments (the domestic scenes with the gay couple).
I saw the play, End Of The Rainbow starring Tracie Bennett about a decade ago in London, on which the movie was based.

They really toned down a lot of the more confronting language for the film, and both she and Renee gave very different yet equally striking performances as Garland.

I did love those quiet moments with the gay couple, and found them tremendously moving, too.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

October 15th: Halloween Kills

Jamie Lee Curtis returns as Laurie Strode. In the last movie, the Strode women left Michael Meyers caged in the basement of a burning house. But could he have...ESCAPED? You bet your sequel! Judy Greer and Will Patton return with Anthony Michael Hall joining the cast.
Back in late 1991, I went to a studio taping at 20th Century Fox for Anything But Love starring Jamie Lee Curtis.

During the break between shooting the episode a second time, we were allowed to ask the stars questions. One lady wanted to know if Jamie Lee planned to do any more Halloween movies, to which she replied, "No". That was 30 years ago!

Not that I have any plans to see the latest installment. But never say never, I guess!

PeterG

10/10 – The Normal Heart is the 2014 HBO dramatic film based on Larry Kramer’s 1985 play. It’s about a group of gay men (and some women) in New York City who deal with the emerging AIDS crisis beginning in the early 1980’s. Many actors in this movie give career-best performances, including Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts, Taylor Kitsch and Matt Bomer . Joe Mantello (known more for his direction of plays, such as Wicked) has a small role, but in one scene he gives the performance of a lifetime. It’s heartbreaking and shocking and powerful all at the same time. One of the best screen moments I have seen in many years. The Normal Heart won the Emmy for television movie and received eight other nominations (four in the supporting actor category). This one is a must-see.

Trailer for The Normal Heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPou_eDisQ

Foolhardy Ham Lint

10/10 – The Normal Heart is the 2014 HBO dramatic film based on Larry Kramer’s 1985 play. It’s about a group of gay men (and some women) in New York City who deal with the emerging AIDS crisis beginning in the early 1980’s. Many actors in this movie give career-best performances, including Mark Ruffalo, Julia Roberts, Taylor Kitsch and Matt Bomer . Joe Mantello (known more for his direction of plays, such as Wicked) has a small role, but in one scene he gives the performance of a lifetime. It’s heartbreaking and shocking and powerful all at the same time. One of the best screen moments I have seen in many years. The Normal Heart won the Emmy for television movie and received eight other nominations (four in the supporting actor category). This one is a must-see.

Trailer for The Normal Heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpPou_eDisQ
I bought the DVD as an ex movie rental a year or so ago, but haven't got around to watching it yet. Maybe now is the time.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I really enjoyed "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" starring Melissa McCarthy in a stand-out performance that really showcases her tremendous range as a serious dramatic actress. She was fearless here.

Trailer below.

VGThuy

I really enjoyed "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" starring Melissa McCarthy in a stand-out performance that really showcases her tremendous range as a serious dramatic actress. She was fearless here.

Trailer below.

I love this movie! In retrospect, I think she was the most deserving of an Oscar in that packed year. Close had my heart, Colman had my mind, but I think McCarthy captured both.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I love this movie! In retrospect, I think she was the most deserving of an Oscar in that packed year. Close had my heart, Colman had my mind, but I think McCarthy captured both.
Oh God, I'd forgotten she was up against Olivia Coleman for The Favourite.

I hated, hated, hated, that movie. A shame it was my introduction to that actress. She was such a manipulative hoot in FLEABAG.

I actually thought Glenn Close would win that year for THE WIFE. But wearing that ridiculous beaded cape to the Oscars (and learning it was allegedly made by slave labor) really turned me off her.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I wanted something quiet, intelligent and sweet and dug into my dvd pile and pulled out "84 Charing Cross Road" starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins. If you love books and miss letters then this is the movie for you. I could not find a trailer so here is the synopsis and a scene: Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins sparkle in this touching drama about a trans-Atlantic romance that begins when a vivacious New York writer with a passion for literature writes to a London bookstore in search of rare English classics. A reserved Englishman answers her request--thus beginning an extraordinary relationship that spans two decades. (Original Title - 84 Charing Cross Road)

Found the trailer! https://youtu.be/fs01gT67upE

Last edited:

PeterG

Philip Seymour Hoffman's son and one of the Haim sisters among established stars???? I'M IN! Licorice Pizza:
https://youtu.be/Xq9bosVddd0

The trailer makes it look like a comedy, but wikipedia says it's a drama. Which seems more apt as Licorice Pizza was written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Most famous for There Will Be Blood. Anderson also wrote and directed Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love and Phantom Thread (for which he re-teamed with Daniel Day Lewis). I like that Anderson is going for a lighter tone with this movie. Could he stretch towards a romantic comedy at some point?

Cooper plays Jon Peters, who was Barbra Streisand's hairdresser, then boyfriend and then movie producer. I wonder if Anderson ever met him, or if this role is completely fictionalized. Lots of other talented people in the cast, Maya Rudolph, Ben Stiller, Sean Penn, Tom Waits and John C. Reilly. :cheer:

Cachoo

The trailer makes it look like a comedy, but wikipedia says it's a drama. Which seems more apt as Licorice Pizza was written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Most famous for There Will Be Blood. Anderson also wrote and directed Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love and Phantom Thread (for which he re-teamed with Daniel Day Lewis). I like that Anderson is going for a lighter tone with this movie. Could he stretch towards a romantic comedy at some point?

Cooper plays Jon Peters, who was Barbra Streisand's hairdresser, then boyfriend and then movie producer. I wonder if Anderson ever met him, or if this role is completely fictionalized. Lots of other talented people in the cast, Maya Rudolph, Ben Stiller, Sean Penn, Tom Waits and John C. Reilly. :cheer:
You know, I love that his two leads look like regular folks and not some glossy movie stars trying to be regular folks. Plus I love that trailer. Kudos to whoever put it together.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Free Guy is now available at no extra cost on Disney+ while it is still #3 in cinemas!
Only in Canada though. Apparently it'll be hitting HBO Max in the States when it hits streaming. Presumably because Greg Berlanti, who works with Warner Bros., produced it.

PeterG

9/10 – Merchants Of Doubt – A 2014 documentary based on a book by Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway. The movie is about how big business (specifically tobacco and the oil industry) hire people whose careers are dedicated to create doubt in the mind of the public about products which could be (are) harmful. And how these businesses are behind the creation of organizations which appear to be consumer watch groups, but whose purpose are to spread mis-information and deflect from the possible harms the businesses are involved with. It’s unbelievable to watch people talk about the work they are doing for these companies. Marc Morano (specifically) smirks with glee as he talks about the doubt and mis-information that he instills in the public. This makes this movie tough to watch, but overall it's very much a worthwhile viewing.

Trailer for Merchants of Doubt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8ii9zGFDtc

vgerdes

I think we've discussed Mel Brooks in this thread before, haven't we? Right now, Prime Video is offering free streaming for subscribers of what I consider to be his greatest work, "Young Frankenstein." It's still one of the most hysterically funny movies I've ever watched, so for those who have Prime and haven't seen it -- as well as those who have, and love it as much as I do -- check it out. You won't be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information