LAKE PLACID 2023 FISU WORLD UNIVERSITY GAMES

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Yes!!! Lagouge/Caffa were also selected by the FFSG to compete in Lake Placid!!!

Sylvia

TBD
I've posted an article on GBR National bronze medalist Henry Privett-Mendoza in the British skating news thread that mentions at the end that he will compete in Lake Placid: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ws-2022-and-beyond.109770/page-3#post-6358798

Compiling from this thread (corrections/additions welcomed)...

MEN
Callum BRADSHAW (AUS)
Luc MAIERHOFER (AUT)
Petr KOTLARIK (CZE) - eta his post 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CmhJeRhIigT/
Euken ALBERDI (ESP)
Tomas-Llorenc GUARINO SABATE (ESP)
Iker OYARZABAL ALBAS (ESP)
Landry LE MAY (FRA)
Henry PRIVETT-MENDOZA (GBR)
Elliott THOMPSON (GBR)
Kai JAGODA (GER)
Nikolaj MEMOLA (ITA)
Yuma KAGIYAMA (JPN)
Shun SATO (JPN)
Tatsuya TSUBOI (JPN)
Younghyun CHA (KOR)
Jaeseok KYEONG (KOR)
Sihyeong LEE (KOR)
Nurullah SAHAKA (SUI)
Micha STEFFEN (SUI)
Gabriel FOLKESSON (SWE)
Nathan CHAPPLE (USA) - international debut
Goku ENDO (USA)
Dinh TRAN (USA)

WOMEN
Romy GROGAN (AUS)
Emily SAARI (AUT)
Lucia RUIZ MANZANO (ESP)
Eva-Lotta KIIBUS (EST)
Lara Naki GUTMANN (ITA)
Mai MIHARA (JPN)
Kaori SAKAMOTO (JPN)
Rion SUMIYOSHI (JPN)
Dabin CHOI (KOR)
Yelim KIM (KOR)
Siwon LEE (KOR)
Ekaterina KURAKOVA (POL)
Shaline RUEGGER (SUI)
Julia BROVALL (SWE)
Ting CUI (USA)
Finley HAWK (USA)
Wren WARNE-JACOBSEN (USA)

ICE DANCE
Marie DUPAYAGE / Thomas NABAIS (FRA)
Natacha LAGOUGE / Arnaud CAFFA (FRA)
Charise MATTHAEI / Max LIEBERS (GER)
Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTI (ITA)
Raffaella KONCIUS / Alexey SHCHEPETOV (USA) - international debut
Angela LING / Caleb WEIN (USA)
Lorraine MCNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOV (USA)

Last edited:

mtnskater

I didn’t know many of these skaters are attending universities as students like Kaori and Mai or Kurakova. And I’m really surprised the current womens world champion plans to attend here, but not 4 Continents. The criteria to be eligible to compete says you only have to be registered with a university, but no minimum number of credits are required. I’m more impressed if the skaters at this competition are actually working toward degrees though.

Karen-W

I didn’t know many of these skaters are attending universities as students like Kaori and Mai or Kurakova. And I’m really surprised the current womens world champion plans to attend here, but not 4 Continents. The criteria to be eligible to compete says you only have to be registered with a university, but no minimum number of credits are required. I’m more impressed if the skaters at this competition are actually working toward degrees though.
I'm pretty sure most of them are, but you go ahead and try to imply that they aren't serious about their education and able to multi-task and balance skating and university.

Andrea82

WOMEN
Romy GROGAN (AUS)
Emily SAARI (AUT)
Lucia RUIZ MANZANO (ESP)
Eva-Lotta KIIBUS (EST)
Lara Naki GUTMANN (ITA)
Mai MIHARA (JPN)
Kaori SAKAMOTO (JPN)
Rion SUMIYOSHI (JPN)
Dabin CHOI (KOR)
Yelim KIM (KOR)
Siwon LEE (KOR)
Ekaterina KURAKOVA (POL)
Shaline RUEGGER (SUI)
Julia BROVALL (SWE)
Ting CUI (USA)
Finley HAWK (USA)
Wren WARNE-JACOBSEN (USA)

Frida Berge for Norway

swissskate

I'm pretty sure most of them are, but you go ahead and try to imply that they aren't serious about their education and able to multi-task and balance skating and university.
Can’t really comment about figure skaters but I can remember reading some decades ago that male Swiss gymnasts had just registered at University so that they could participate at Universiade a couple of weeks later. Maybe they are more strict now controlling this kind of thing.

Sylvia

TBD
Oona and Gage Brown will perform in the World University Games gala, per their Instastory a couple of days ago. 🥳
Also Karen Chen, FS in Harlem and ITNY:
The Lake Placid 2023 FISU World University Games figure skating events wrap up with the Exhibition Gala on Jan. 16, at 2 p.m. The event is expected to be a fan favorite as some of the Lake Placid 2023 FISU Games’ biggest performers will relax and enjoy entertaining the crowd. Without a medal on the line, the athletes are free to showcase their talent in a way not seen during the FISU Games’ competitive events.
Alongside the Lake Placid 2023 top finishers from the women’s singles, men’s singles and ice dance competitions, fans will be treated to performances from two-time Olympian Karen Chen and some of New York’s finest figure skaters, including the reigning junior world champion ice dance team of Oona and Gage Brown, Figure Skating in Harlem, the Ice Theatre of New York and others.

Andrea82

Thank you @Andrea82. I can't remember for certain - ISU minimum technical scores can be attained at World University Games, right? (I looked but couldn't find an official document link.)
I think so (assuming panel of judges will fit the relevant criteria). It would fit within Article 107 Paragraph 3. The fact that is limited to athletes with certain characteristics (attending university) is envisaged by Article 107 Paragraph 9 (international competitions can be "restricted in any other way").
No World Standing points though regardless of the number of entries because it is restricted to only specific group of athletes.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Will this competition be streamed or broadcasted? (figure skating competition, Jan 13-15)
Not on the Peacock list.
Not on the ISU YouTube list.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I think so (assuming panel of judges will fit the relevant criteria). It would fit within Article 107 Paragraph 3. The fact that is limited to athletes with certain characteristics (attending university) is envisaged by Article 107 Paragraph 9 (international competitions can be "restricted in any other way").
That answers my question about Lara Naki Gutmann that I asked some time ago in another thread -- she still has a chance to get to Worlds. This will be interesting. I would love to see Pezzetta make it to Worlds, but then again, it'd be cool to see Gutmann's Hitchcock program there!

Sylvia

TBD
ESPN has bought the TV rights of 2023 Winter University Games for US.
August 1st article:
ESPN has been appointed Lake Placid 2023's official television and digital distributor in the United States.
Under the agreement, streaming service ESPN+ is to carry close to 140 hours of coverage across the International University Sports Federation (FISU) event's 11 days and it is promised more than 20 hours will be shown on the channels ESPN2 and ESPNU.
Never before has the Winter World University Games been shown on ESPN, although the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" did show the Kazan 2013 and Gwangju 2015 Summer Universiades.
TSN, which is partly owned by ESPN's parent company, will stream the event in Canada.
Men's and women's free skates, both ice hockey finals, snowboard cross and the Opening Ceremony are due to be among the events shown on ESPN TV channels.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Looks like a subscription to ESPN+ is $10/month, no free trial. Google tells me it's included with Sling TV but no other cable/satellite/streaming services, but it can be bundled with Disney+. Glad at least some skating events will be on TV.

Amy L

I have the Disney bundle but I've never tried to log in to ESPN+. Guess I still have a little time left to play around with it.

Andrea82

Gaukhar Nauryzova/Boisangur Datiev for Kazakhstan in Ice Dance
It is not clear to me if the presence of Mikhail Shaidorov in the pic means he is also set to partecipate.

Karen-W

Gaukhar Nauryzova/Boisangur Datiev for Kazakhstan in Ice Dance
It is not clear to me if the presence of Mikhail Shaidorov in the pic means he is also set to partecipate.
I'm guessing yes, since he shared her postponed his IG story.

sk8momma

Can’t really comment about figure skaters but I can remember reading some decades ago that male Swiss gymnasts had just registered at University so that they could participate at Universiade a couple of weeks later. Maybe they are more strict now controlling this kind of thing.
For the US skaters--they needed a form authorized by the college/university stating they are enrolled in a degree-seeking program

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information