Ladies figure skating at the Olympics

coppertop1

This isn't a thread about predicting the results but more who will make the team and spoilers for the Olympic team and possibly where they could finish at the Oylmpics. Just to recap: Russia, Canada and the USA have three spots. Japan, Italy, Korea and Kazakhstan have two spots. China just has one spot. Who else has qualified at this point? Who will we see at the Olympics? My thoughts:

I'll start with Canada, since I'm Canadian.
Kaetlyn Osmond and Gabrielle Daleman are likely shoo-ins. Kaetlyn is looking great early on and I am looking forward to seeing her LP develop. She went back to her SP from last year which everyone loves. If she skates well at the Olympics, I can see her taking silver. Gabrielle Daleman hasn't competed yet, but I'm looking forward to her material. She was the dark horse at Worlds and could be the dark horse again at the Olympics. The third spot is up for grabs with Alaine Chartrand looking right now like it will be her. On a good day, she can be in the top ten. Her big problem are her URs and low GOEs/

With Russia, the ladies event will be brutal. I call it the Hunger Games on Ice. So many fighting for three spots. Med is a gimme. After that, it's anyone's guess. Many think Zagitova will make it but she is yet to compete in the Grand Prix on the senior circuit and I don't think we can predict anything at this point. I think Pogorilaya, Sotskova and Zagitova are the most likely candidates for the other two spots.

coppertop1

I will be very surprised if the Japanese team is not Miyahara and Honda.

I can't wait to see Honda in the senior ranks. She's poised and mature. Love her. Japanese nationals will be tough. Only two spots and five fighting for it

RoseRed

So far we've seen three of the top Japanese ladies. Wakaba looked great, as did Marin. Mai looked pretty good too. The big question of course is Satoko's jumps after her injury. Cup of China will be very interesting for this Olympic race with Mai, Marin and Wakaba all competing head to head.

RoseRed

Has the Japanese Fed published the criteria for Olympic Team selection?
I think I saw them earlier on GS. It was a yahoo link in Japanese, but other posters explained that the first spot goes to the skater who wins Nationals and the second spot will be between the skaters who place 2nd and 3rd at Nationals based on:
a) the skater who had the best finish in the GPF
b) if neither competes there, the world ranking, season ranking and season best score at the time of Nationals

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I will be very surprised if the Japanese team is not Miyahara and Honda.

Man, I hope you're right about Miyahara. Ideally I'd want her and Mihara both, but if I could only have one, it'd be Miyahara.

As for the Russians, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Sotskova made the team. There's a little-engine-that-could quality about that girl. Zagitova I don't know about yet. I don't think she has Medvedeva's mental toughness, which seems to be a requirement if one is going to make it as an Eteri skater. But we'll see.

coppertop1

I think that may be true of Radionova. Sotskova has just started, let's not write her off. I don't think we can count Pogorilaya out

coppertop1

Also Pogo. She's toast after her Helsinki melt-down.

I think that could go either way. If she has a good season and rebounds from Helsinki, she still has a chance. If she lets it get to her like with Gracie Gold last season, she's done.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Ricoā€¦With Love! Not LatinX!
I think that could go either way. If she has a good season and rebounds from Helsinki, she still has a chance. If she lets it get to her like with Gracie Gold last season, she's done.

I was thinking more about the Russian Fed and politics. No matter how well she skates this fall they don't forgive easily.

coppertop1

That's probably true. They drop skaters from the team as soon as they fall in the standings. So, who will replace her? Med, Zagitova and there's still one spot

How about Rika Hongo who also had a bad time in Helsinki and finished 16th. Can she still make it.

Xela M

I was thinking more about the Russian Fed and politics. No matter how well she skates this fall they don't forgive easily.

That's probably true. They drop skaters from the team as soon as they fall in the standings. So, who will replace her? Med, Zagitova and there's still one spot

How about Rika Hongo who also had a bad time in Helsinki and finished 16th. Can she still make it.

I don't see that at all :confused: They allowed Tuk's come back and did everything for Lipnitskaya even after it was clear she had major problems and Leonova is still skating...

RockTheTassel

With all of the emerging talent and skaters who have ups and down, I'd imagine that Russia selects on a season-by-season basis. Whoever's doing well in the current season (primarily GPF + nationals) will get the coveted spots. It's exciting to see who will end up going since only one (obviously Medvedeva) seems to be a lock. I really hope someone kind of unexpected, like Radio or Tuk, can go. :)

bardtoob

You have to consider that the Russian Fed already has the OGM wrapped up, and getting Pogo in the top 10 won't be that hard.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You have to consider that the Russian Fed already has the OGM wrapped up, and getting Pogo in the top 10 won't be that hard.

I don't think anyone has a medal wrapped up. The competition has to take place.

I dont think they are interested in a top 10 in Ladies. They would rather go for a podium sweep if possible. I do t think they will sweep though.

bardtoob

I don't think anyone has a medal wrapped up. The competition has to take place.

I dont think they are interested in a top 10 in Ladies. They would rather go for a podium sweep if possible. I do t think they will sweep though.

That's what you think ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information