Kurt Browning and Sonia Rodriguez

fan

Yeah yeah, I hear Kurt has shacked up with Tennis icon Chris Evert (well after all, she married a tennis champ, a champion skier and a golf pro, so I'm guessing a Rugby player wasn't available), and Sonia has joined the cast of Instinct along with Alan Cumming, where she portrays Secret Agent P. Rowette. Then I convinced my source to get back on her meds. Granny, you have quite the imagination.......
Um, ok. Let’s just all choose to believe whatever we want. Some of us are quite involved with the skating world...

chantilly

Um, ok. Let’s just all choose to believe whatever we want. Some of us are quite involved with the m
skating world...
That’s fine if you are connected. But you don’t have to chastise people or cop a superior attitude to others on a public skating forum, when there’s absolutely no other source than a semi anonymous person whose claims to
be connected can’t be confirmed other than by their own admission.

Last edited:

chantilly

I honestly am not really that invested in whether Kurt and his wife split or not really, I just objected to some of the tone of posts in here

icie

Keeping up appearances
I agree with Willy Elliot, I won't assume that a couple that I don't personally know are "happily" married. Sometimes that's hard to gauge with couples I know. I wish the best for Kurt, Sonia and their sons.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I know people are cynical about the commercials - but I LOVE seeing Kurt sharing the ice with Don Jackson.

I actually feel I see too much of Kurt Browning - as a commentator, in commercials, and with SOI.

The last SOI I saw here in Vancouver began with Kurt making a comment about communicating with Sonia on his cell phone. I don't remember the details because it was some years back, back remember thinking that Kurt had to put himself front and center even in a group ice show. Granted, it is his show IIRC, but even so, the man has much too massive an ego for my taste.

I really prefer Pelletier's commentary on CBC, and would like Kurt to be replaced by someone else - but he seems to have the contract in perpetuity.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Kurt Browning was still delivering commentary from his grave. :shuffle: :scream:

Last edited:

Rafter

That’s fine if you are connected. But you don’t have to chastise people or cop a superior attitude to others on a public skating forum, when there’s absolutely no other source than a semi anonymous person whose claims to
be connected can’t be confirmed other than by their own admission.

I’m not seeing any attitude.

It’s interesting to me how fans get so angry/defensive when it comes to rumoured skating divorces.

Rafter

Yeah, this is old news.

Old news to skating insiders perhaps but definitely not to the casual fan or general public. Because Browning and Rodriguez never announced anything publicly, fans and the media think they are still married.

From I can gather they’ve been divorced since about 2015 or 2016.

barbarafan

I think Kurt deserves everything he’s got. He has always been the clear leader and star of CSOI and deservedly so, IMO.

Skatewise he has deserved everything and performance wise he has been the best.But he is getting on so not surprised he is stepping back. Commentary ...at first he was a lot worse...sorta like Dave Lease...just kept giving anecdotes of the past and who said what but he has really toned that down and I don't mind him now except when he plays puppet to Carol Lane. I really like David Pelletier though. He is great.

Judy

I actually feel I see too much of Kurt Browning - as a commentator, in commercials, and with SOI.

The last SOI I saw here in Vancouver began with Kurt making a comment about communicating with Sonia on his cell phone. I don't remember the details because it was some years back, back remember thinking that Kurt had to put himself front and center even in a group ice show. Granted, it is his show IIRC, but even so, the man has much too massive an ego for my taste.

I really prefer Pelletier's commentary on CBC, and would like Kurt to be replaced by someone else - but he seems to have the contract in perpetuity.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Kurt Browning was still delivering commentary from his grave. :shuffle: :scream:

I believe he has retired from CSOI?

I personally never get tired of him.

Judy

It’s interesting to me how fans get so angry/defensive when it comes to rumoured skating divorces.

Not defensive at all but posters do react when other posters are condescending.

Marriage can be difficult - if this is true that is good they are on good terms especially for their kids. The important thing is that they are both happy.

Erin

Banned Member
Not defensive at all but posters do react when other posters are condescending.

Considering one of the responses to a confirmation of the divorce was a made-up scenario and finished with "Granny you have some imagination", implying that the poster who confirmed it made it up, I wouldn't fault someone for being condescending in return.

Marriage can be difficult - if this is true that is good they are on good terms especially for their kids. The important thing is that they are both happy.

I agree with all of this. I'm not sure why the rest really matters. This thread is mostly interesting for the overreaction of some posters who apparently won't believe something is true unless it is in the mainstream media.

WildRose

What a horrible thing to say. We get that you hate Kurt, but must you take every opportunity to slam him? I’ve met him a number of times over the years and always found him to be down to earth, friendly and a genuine good guy, without the massive ego you seem to think he has. He has done a lot of good for the sport of figure skating in this country, and there is a reason he is loved and respected by his fellow skaters and a Canadian icon. You will no doubt be overjoyed to hear he has decided to retire from Stars on Ice this year, but he is the reason this tour is still alive and successful for the next generation of skaters, and he will be missed.

WildRose

Old news to skating insiders perhaps but definitely not to the casual fan or general public. Because Browning and Rodriguez never announced anything publicly, fans and the media think they are still married.

He mentioned major changes in his personal life in an interview in an Edmonton paper several years ago. They didn’t make an announcement but it wasn’t a secret either. Kind of surprised it took this long to hit FSU LOL.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Yeah yeah, I hear Kurt has shacked up with Tennis icon Chris Evert (well after all, she married a tennis champ, a champion skier and a golf pro, so I'm guessing a Rugby player wasn't available), and Sonia has joined the cast of Instinct along with Alan Cumming, where she portrays Secret Agent P. Rowette. Then I convinced my source to get back on her meds. Granny, you have quite the imagination.......
Best wishes for Kurt with his new bride, my wife is a huge player and fan in woman's tennis although she always was more a fan of Martina Navalorativa more then Chris. I hope Martina also has a nice husband.

As well, I have always been a strong fan of Cumming.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Best wishes for Kurt with his new bride, my wife is a huge player and fan in woman's tennis although she always was more a fan of Martina Navalorativa more then Chris. I hope Martina also has a nice husband.
:: spills his Cinnamon Tea on his lap from being WTF startled ::
:: does poster know Yours Truly was being sarcastic? ::
:: Martina's husband? Can't tell if poster was being counter-sarcastic or has lived under a rock for 30-plus years ::
:: goes back to watching Iron Man on TV ::

skategal

Bunny mama

I had to go on a hunt through Youtube after I saw this thread... :shuffle: :lol:

And I came to a similar conclusion.

I found an interview in April of 2015 where he was wearing his wedding ring and referred to Sonia as his wife, but nothing past that.

Jenny

From the Bloc
In June 2015 Sonia celebrated 25 years with the National Ballet, and was honoured on stage after a performance. After the usual presentations of flowers and gracious curtsies and extended standing ovation, all of a sudden Kurt popped up on the stage with flowers for her. Should have been a sweet moment, but I have to say it felt really awkward and she looked really uncomfortable.

Obviously just my own impression, at the time having no idea they were anything but a happy couple. There were a bunch of other skaters in the audience that night too - friends sharing in Sonia's big night, or moral support for Kurt during a trying time?

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.

I wasn't copping any sort of attitude either. Some random person on the internet declares they are still happily married as a fact. Their evidence? Because there is no evidence on the internet that they divorced... However, they found no evidence on the internet that they are still married. Ergo, with authority this person states that they are still happily married. I'm sorry if my amusement at that logic seems like I am copping an attitude.

honey

I’d noticed his lack of wedding ring as well a few years back and wondered.

I also remember he pulled out of this figures competition in Lake Placid in the summer of 2015 due to “personal reasons” and it seemed a bit strange. Too bad as they seemed like a nice couple. But what do any of us know from the outside looking in? Good for them for remaining on good terms and making the best of it for their children.

Judy

I wasn't copping any sort of attitude either. Some random person on the internet declares they are still happily married as a fact. Their evidence? Because there is no evidence on the internet that they divorced... However, they found no evidence on the internet that they are still married. Ergo, with authority this person states that they are still happily married. I'm sorry if my amusement at that logic seems like I am copping an attitude.

I certainly don’t take everything I read on the internet as fact. I’m taking this with a grain of salt. Being divorced myself I have no idea how they’d really go about announcing it - or if they have to. It’s a difficult thing to go through for sure.

icie

Keeping up appearances
I wasn't copping any sort of attitude either.
You were not the person copping an attitude. It was the poster that stated, since there isn't anything they could find on the internet about a divorce = Kurt & Sonia are "happily" married.

pat c

Kurt by himself is good, great with Pelletier, and if he and Carol Lane parted company I wouldn't be unhappy.

I have been watching old youtube skating vids........and we forget how caustic Toller Cranston could be, or how U&M never shut up nor a few others. We're getting pretty picky. ;)

bbkenn

Wow, didn't expect my "happily married" and didn't see any news of divorce to get such an emotional response. It's clearly something everyone knows but no one has written about, so whatever, I'm out of here....

Japanfan

What a horrible thing to say. We get that you hate Kurt, but must you take every opportunity to slam him? I’ve met him a number of times over the years and always found him to be down to earth, friendly and a genuine good guy, without the massive ego you seem to think he has.

Okay, I guess my post came across other than I intended to.

I did not make (nor did I intend to infer) any personal judgments of Kurt. Yes, he does strike me as having quite a large ego, but that's not something unique among sportscasters/sports stars/celebrities. Other than that I don't have much of an opinion. I've never met Kurt in person, but he has always struck me as a solid, loving husband and dad (even if he is now divorced, the marriage lasted a long time).

He has done a lot of good for the sport of figure skating in this country, and there is a reason he is loved and respected by his fellow skaters and a Canadian icon. You will no doubt be overjoyed to hear he has decided to retire from Stars on Ice this year, but he is the reason this tour is still alive and successful for the next generation of skaters, and he will be missed.

I know that he has been a huge player in FS in Canada. I've not questioned the good he's done for the sport/the contribution he has made. Nor have I questioned his involvement in Stars on Ice - the show has been successful, and if that success if largely attributable to Kurt, well then good on him.

And no, I'm not overjoyed that he has retired from SOI - nor unhappy. I don't care much for show skating and SOI once every ten years is enough for me, Kurt or no Kurt. If he was the driving force behind the success of the show, I hope it continues to succeed with someone else at the helm.

He's just not my favorite commentator. We are certainly all entitled to our opinions about commentators, and our preferences.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
All of our Canadian commentators are at a disadvantage being compared to Tracy Wilson - ostensibly one the best there is. So if she's at the top of the scale, Kurt would be... not there. patc's note was a great reminder of what we used to be subjected to. :lol: Paul Martini was bruuuutal, for example, and I couldn't stand Debbie Wilkes' chatter. Kurt isn't that bad either.

As to seeing him shilling reverse mortgages, how soon we forget the house fire insurance may not have played ball fully on reimbursement. :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information