Kevin Reynolds is retiring

Rock2

Kevin has a bright future outside of skating so there's lots to look forward to. I, too, loved his music choices.

After 2017 world's (where he was incorrectly judged and should have been ahead of Kolyada, thus qualifying 3 for CAN for the Olympics, but I digress with continued bitterness), his tenuous grip on his skating all but disappeared. Hard to imagine that it was that moment that was the right time for him to walk away.

These past few months, his skating and reaction to scores reminded me of Jennifer Robinson in 2004 and particuarly at world's, looking at the scores judges were giving her and realizing it was over. She actually announced her retirement in the middle of the event (only JRo had a great world's but the judges where having none of it). No surprise with this announcement from Kevin.

ioana

Best of luck to Kevin! His music choices were always unique. Only skater I remember skating to British composer, Karl Jenkins. Loved that program.

Fumie Suguri also did a Jenkins program back in 06-07 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUd-LSfR-U&t

Agreed Kevin's musical choices got progressively more interesting as he got older and started picking his own music more and more. Was a big fan of his Chambermaid Swing SP back in the day. First program he did that made me realise there could be more to to his skating than the quads. Glad he's putting the fluent Japanese to good use in his degree and best of luck to him in the future. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjAEI5R8Ay0

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Japanfan Kevin definitely had reasons for staying with his coach. But he wasn't always in a situation where the decision to stay was his decision alone.

barbarafan

There's always some "what if, what if" when a skater announces they're retiring. Kevin accomplished a lot, and he really did work hard to improve the overall quality of his skating, especially in the last couple of years. But IMO he could have accomplished so much more with a different coach - a coach that didn't blame his poorer placements on politicks, the judges being unfair, etc. etc. etc. instead of using the feedback constructively.

It's good to know that he has plans going forward, and I wish him all the best in the future.

ITA.. he is very loyal....I always enjoyed his programs more than those who won. Hope he teaches kids a different jump technique without the underroatations.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
He always had something interesting to put on the, even if I wished his basics were better. And THAT HAIR!!! I hope his body can heal now and he doesn't have to deal with long-term problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information