Ken Burns Country Music Documentary

Cachoo

I'm happy they mentioned The Kingston Trio, brief as it was. They weren't "country," (they didn't consider themselves "folk," really), but they did have a big hand in popularizing music that covered numerous genres, as well as Martin guitars, which they played exclusively (and Vega's long-neck "Pete Seeger" banjo) .

They were Woody Guthrie's progeny and I thought Woody was country even if he wasn't claimed by country. Folk music seemed so necessary as a place of love and acceptance for those who desired change. (I thought of them as folk.)

annie720

I'm happy they mentioned The Kingston Trio, brief as it was. They weren't "country," (they didn't consider themselves "folk," really), but they did have a big hand in popularizing music that covered numerous genres, as well as Martin guitars, which they played exclusively (and Vega's long-neck "Pete Seeger" banjo) .

I still play my original Kingston Trio albums. Love their energy! The albums actually belonged to my older sister, but I stole them when she went away to college. šŸ˜

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Dwight Yokum getting all misty eyed singing Merle Haggard made me misty eyed.

The second hour is about the women of the middle to late 60s. How can you not love Loretta Lynn? I still marvel at how well Sissy Spacek captured her, even to looking like her. And, I've been a Dolly Parton fan forever.

Lizziebeth

I was never much of a country music fan, but this reminded me now much I love Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristophersen, Patsy Kline and many others. Some for their fabulous songwriting and some just because of their incredible singing skills.

I think this documentary brings country music alive. So what if it doesn't cover every little fact and every artist?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I was never much of a country music fan, but this reminded me now much I love Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristophersen, Patsy Kline and many others. Some for their fabulous songwriting and some just because of their incredible singing skills.

I think this documentary brings country music alive. So what if it doesn't cover every little fact and every artist?
You just thought you weren't a fan of country music. :lol: You just weren't a fan of some of the sub-genres

rfisher

Let the skating begin
George and Tammy tonight. He Stopped Loving Her Today is one of the saddest songs ever. George used to come to little Cattletsburg, KY every 4th of July for a small town festival and played for free. He was a friend of the mayor. The Judds were from nearby Ashland (they didn't come play for free).

Sunday Morning Coming Down is one of the greatest songs ever written.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I remember Johnny Cash's TV show, but didn't know how much he stood up to the network. The irony that Merle Haggard's greatest hit was Okie from Muskogee and it was written as a joke. The political backstories are fascinating.

We're up to Willie and surely Waylon will be introduced now. I remember in college the fascination of the Outlaws as being radical. But, we were just stupid as there have been so many anti-establishment radicals in music. Willie, Waylon, Jerry Jeff Walker, Jessie Colter, Kris and Rita Cooledge. I'm going to have to go dig out all my LPs. And I have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken LP in pristine condition. :)

Last edited:

Karina1974

I still play my original Kingston Trio albums. Love their energy! The albums actually belonged to my older sister, but I stole them when she went away to college. šŸ˜

I met 2 of the original 3 members, because Nick Reynolds rejoined the group in 1988 and performed with the KT for another 11 years. I saw them 3 times, 1990 in Oneonta NY and in 1994 and 1996 in Saratoga Springs NY. Bob Shane is the only surviving original member still living, and he had to retire from performing in 2004.

I also met John Stewart (he replaced Dave Guard in 1961) twice, once in Woodstock NY and again in Saratoga. He's also passed on as well.

Karina1974

They were Woody Guthrie's progeny and I thought Woody was country even if he wasn't claimed by country. Folk music seemed so necessary as a place of love and acceptance for those who desired change. (I thought of them as folk.)

They covered several of Woody's songs - Pastures of Plenty, Deportee, This Land is Your Land, and Hard, Ain't It Hard, which dates back their 1st album from 1958.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
My parents are so into this. They have been since in the beginning -- my dad is into bluegrass, and plays dobro in a small local band -- but now it's come to their era. My dad did two tours in Vietnam and my mom was at home watching Glen Campbell's show on TV. Glen's "Gentle on My Mind" and Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" are two of her all-time favorite songs.

Sparks

Thank you Ken Burns. So memories are flooding back. I could write 100 paragraphs about it. I will refrain, however.

P.S Glen Campbell got his start in my home town. His uncle had a local show (Dick Bill) and I was on it as a little kid.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
My little sister had a crush on Glen Campbell which was so weird in our family. I teased her mercilessly. Now I still love listening to Galveston, Wichita Lineman, etc.

annie720

This show made me realize that I know very little about Johnny Cash the person, and I want to know more. What an intriguing man. Also, Kristoffersonā€™s film career apparently made me forget about most of his music career. It was nice to be reminded.

Peaches LaTour

I was raised to think that country music was for racist hillbillies, proving that prejudice flows many ways. But in 1991, in the midst of divorce and then tumultuous love affair, I heard Mary Chapin Carpenterā€™s You Win Again on the radio.

That didnā€™t sound like the twangy country I grew up making fun of, but the lyrics really resonated. Turned out Mary was my gateway drug for learning to love it all, from Reba to Garth to Alan and more.

Jerry Lee Lewis also has a wonderful rendition of, "You Win Again". I actually love his country songs as much as his rock 'n' roll music.

I was extremely touched by Dwight Yoakum's emotion while talking about Merle Haggard's song, "Holding Things Together".

Cachoo

Do you have the free tv/movie service called Tubi? I know Tubi carries "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour." I think they are airing nine or ten shows. The guest list is eclectic: Stevie Wonder, Roger Miller, Liberace, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Three Dog
Night, Dean Martin, Anne Murray, Jeannie C. Riley, Dionne Warwick, 5th Dimension, Ray Charles, Vikki Carr and Johnny and June Carter Cash among others.

I suspect Johnny's show is airing somewhere. I'll keep looking.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Do you have the free tv/movie service called Tubi? I know Tubi carries "Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour." I think they are airing nine or ten shows. The guest list is eclectic: Stevie Wonder, Roger Miller, Liberace, Neil Diamond, Linda Ronstadt, Three Dog
Night, Dean Martin, Anne Murray, Jeannie C. Riley, Dionne Warwick, 5th Dimension, Ray Charles, Vikki Carr and Johnny and June Carter Cash among others.

I suspect Johnny's show is airing somewhere. I'll keep looking.
I got both of those series through Netflix DVD to rewatch them. It's been awhile since I got them, but they usually have a lot of those retro shows available.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I remember the days of listening to Waylon/Willie's Outlaw album with my then boyfriend. And playing Red Headed Stranger over and over and over. And I'm laughing remembering my Dad's crush on Emmylou. The album with Dolly, Emmylou and Linda is still one of my favorites. And, I love her hair. She's one of those women who look fantastic when their hair grayed and now is white.

Sparks

This show demonstrates how feminism takes many forms.
Patsy, Dolly, Loretta Lynn, Brenda Lee, Linda Rondstadt, Emmy Lou, even Tammy Wynette. Plus so many others. ā™„

Sparks

I remember the days of listening to Waylon/Willie's Outlaw album with my then boyfriend. And playing Red Headed Stranger over and over and over. And I'm laughing remembering my Dad's crush on Emmylou. The album with Dolly, Emmylou and Linda is still one of my favorites. And, I love her hair. She's one of those women who look fantastic when their hair grayed and now is white.
I still have that album

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This show demonstrates how feminism takes many forms.
Patsy, Dolly, Loretta Lynn, Brenda Lee, Linda Rondstadt, Emmy Lou, even Tammy Wynette. Plus so many others. ā™„
They set the way for the Dixie Chicks, Miranda Lambert, Faith Hill and so many others.

Hazel Smith is cracking me up.

Audrey Williams was a sad piece of work. No wonder Hank Jr. wrote Family Tradition.

And, I'm still sitting here laughing at Vince Gill opening for KISS and telling the audience to kiss his a$$.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information