Ken Burns Country Music Documentary

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I was suprised they didn't talk about the Dixie Chicks as well. I thought they did walk about Urban Cowboy though. Not for very long, but I remember a mention of how it revived interest in Country music.

Peaches LaTour

We could speculate forever what the saddest of all C & W songs would be. "He Stopped Loving Her Today" is right up there. I believe, "Today I Started Loving You Again" has to be up there, too.

Like Marty Stuart, I like the sad ones.:violin::wuzrobbed

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
They deliberately stopped at 1996, long before the Dixie Chicks’ banishment. Personally I think the music got much more formulaic and a lot worse in the’00s and they didn’t miss much.

Except for Kacey Musgraves. She’s wonderful.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They deliberately stopped at 1996, long before the Dixie Chicks’ banishment.
It all seems both long ago and like it was yesterday. :D I definitely thought it had happened within the timeframe of the documentary, but Bush wasn't president in 1996 so I guess it wasn't as long ago as I thought.

skatfan

It all seems both long ago and like it was yesterday. :D I definitely thought it had happened within the timeframe of the documentary, but Bush wasn't president in 1996 so I guess it wasn't as long ago as I thought.

Well they sorta stopped at 1996, except they finished with Johnny Cash’s final years and death and he died in 2003. I’m guessing that trying to cover the 2000s was going to be pretty hard given all the parties are around with feelings and maybe nobody wanted to end on the political craziness.

merrywidow

I missed a half hour around the 5th night or so. Did they ever mention Marty Robbins? He was a huge star, even crossed over to pop.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Well they sorta stopped at 1996, except they finished with Johnny Cash’s final years and death and he died in 2003
Well, there you go. 2003 is exactly the year the Dixie Chicks got in trouble for speaking their minds.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
It's not like they went in-depth about anything in the 21st century. As I recall, they spent a lot of time on Johnny's recordings with Rubin and then touched on his death later on. They didn't really carry their whole story into 2003.

skatfan

For those who didn't see the episodes as they aired, Kanopy, a streaming/download media service that many libraries provide to their members for free, is now streaming them.

Cachoo

Well they sorta stopped at 1996, except they finished with Johnny Cash’s final years and death and he died in 2003. I’m guessing that trying to cover the 2000s was going to be pretty hard given all the parties are around with feelings and maybe nobody wanted to end on the political craziness.
In the preview and "making of" special Burns mentioned that as historians they didn't want to interpret anything recent and I guess that includes the last twenty years.

Peaches LaTour

Cash is a legend in Country music & at the time of his passing he had been in the business for 50+ years. He also married into an equally legendary Country family.

The Dixie Chicks, while very good, cannot even begin to compare to that legacy.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
In the preview and "making of" special Burns mentioned that as historians they didn't want to interpret anything recent and I guess that includes the last twenty years.
Yes. According to the interviews I have seen with Ken Burns and others involved, they were only using the more contemporary country crowd to comment and reflect on the history. There was no intention of highlighting the careers of the recent generation of country artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information