Katarina Witt's Sex Appeal and the Possible Inspiration of Her SP

Husky

This is more for historians - a theoretical question:

I just stumbled over a short dance with Ann-Margret on YT that she was doing for a creepy 1966 'sex comedy' THE SWINGER that almost killed her career (never saw this movie). Here are reviews on imdb that show how bad this movie is. As one user says the whole idea of this movie was to establish Ann-Margret as a star or better a sex icon, similiar to Pamela Anderson in the 80s.

The funny thing is that it contains a paint orgy scene that clearly refers to Warhol (though not autorised by him) and uses his typical rainbow colours that Warhol also uses for his famous star portraits (Marilyn etc.) And yeah, I think, this scene or better costume/colours and hairdo are the inspiration of Witt's 'oriental' short program in 1986 which is interesting if you take into account how much people were gushing over Katarina's body and sex appeal. And it's surprising that the Witt/Mueller team would use such a trashy movie as an inspiration for a choreography if it wasn't for the purpose to underline her sex appeal and star qualities. (20 year old Katarina was at the height of her beauty.)

Or what do you think? Maybe it's only me who thinks this is the inspiration for Witt's SP, links to YT:

"Ann-Margret The Swinger Paint Dance (longer version)"

higher resolution:
"Sex scenes from The Swinger (1966) with Ann-Margret"

Katarina Witt 1986 Worlds SP

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I always wondered what inspired coach Frau M to create her pupils’ programs…such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for Morgenstern in 71. There must have been a way for Western movies to have gotten into the DDR.

bardtoob

I always wondered what inspired coach Frau M to create her pupils’ programs…such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for Morgenstern in 71. There must have been a way for Western movies to have gotten into the DDR.
Frau Muller used this tactic, that is referencing Western pop culture such as Broadway shows like Funny Girl, movies like Superman, and TV shows like the Muppets, intentionally to stroke the ego of Western judges. The programs themselves were good, so who cares at this point.

It is interesting to note that some things were lost in translation when Frau Muller made a program with Western themes, for example Katrina wearing a blue showgirl dress instead of a red showgirl dress in 1988. Katrina looked lovely in the dress, but it was just slightly off to those native to the culture from which it originated.

Last edited:

Husky

The programs themselves were good, so who cares at this point.
Yes, the programs were good and so is her 1986 SP. This thread is for people who are interested in the history of choreography.

BTW at 6:22 of the first video is a close-up of a painter whose fingers are stuck in paint tubes. Reminds me of Edvard scissorhands who is also an artist giving women, dogs, and plants a very peculiar look.

Maybe this trashy movie that disappeared soon was more inspiring than it is publicy known.

bardtoob

Yes, the programs were good and so is her 1986 SP. This thread is for people who are interested in the history of choreography.

And you don't think choreography and art, in general, is political?

Husky

@bardtoob I wanted to say that I care. Probably a misunderstanding. Of course, art and choreography are or can be very political.

Just found another detail that convinces me that Mueller referred to this movie:

At 1:00 of the second video you see a very glossy Ann-Margret (effect of the wet paint) and team Mueller picked this look up and transferred it into Witt's shimmering costume. Well done, I must say.

Husky

Sometimes it is difficult to discern between what is art and what is simply weird junk.
This paint orgy is a parody of Warhol's factory. So I guess the director of this movie would agree with you. He is not very proud of it as I read. The whole movie was done within 10 days. 😄

Winnipeg

I remember that SP and the reaction to it.

A fine balance between creative and insensitive to a culture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information