KaoriFan

I've always been huge Yuna fan, but after she retired I saw Kaori skate at Skate America 2017. She was just fabulous! Johnny Weir and Tara said it very well that her skating is like crushed velvet, with a bit of Midori Ito thrown in.

I'm already a fan then, but next I saw her at Four Continents 2018 later that season, she was even faster and lighter on her feet!

Since then I thought, wow! Kaori is the heir! She's the best pure skater of her generation. That comes because she trains very determined on her skating skills. The Russians warm-up for 2 minutes and then immediately start doing quads at practice. Kaori will train her skating skills for 20 minutes or more sometimes. Even before she tries her first jump!

Now she didn't just skate at one Olympics and retire when she's 15-17, she's had four more years to develop and mature, and her Matrix program really reminded me of Yuzuru sometimes.

I think her personality and disregard for feminine fear and reservation really comes across in that program. Her "slash the judges" move is my all-time favorite!

Skaters will always tell their story if you just watch them skate. Usually in ladies most of the girls will be some variation of ice princess or passionate, dedicated skater with many resources but ceiling to their talent. My biggest pet peeves are the delicate, dainty flower types, and the girls who seem bothered to even point their arms once or twice in between technical element.

Kaori's skating tells her story. She's four years older now, much stronger skater, but not like a truck or bowling ball on the ice. She still has that same crushed velvet, light quality to her skating, that is now combined with all of that incredible power and panache.

Last night at Olympics her "Now We Are Free" program, I thought she even reminded me of Shizuka Arakawa at Torino 2006. She had that same womanly, ethereal quality. I could just picture Dick Button saying: "that is a grown woman on the ice!" It's a quality that takes many years and many different paths to develop. Shizuka is a legend, but Kaori was even better last night.

Kaori Sakamoto is a legend too. There's no other skater like her, and maybe never will be. Last night was her night, and I'm so happy for her she has put herself in position to realize all her dreams!

Go Kaori go!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
That SP footwork is one my favorite things this season. It just seems to flow, and it suits her skating so well.

I think my favorite program of hers is "From My First Moment"

I know a lot of people on this board hated the music, but the way she matches the guitar in her footwork especially is just incredible. Plus she has one of the best loops in the biz. Crossing my fingers for an amazing skate today!

Fadeevfanboy

She absolutely killed it!!! I am just over the moon for her. Personally I'd have her even higher, but hey, we can't have it all. The one little glimmer of light from this whole mess has been Kaori medaling.

Well in this day in age without quads or even a 3axel, bronze is about the highest you can go. I do think her GOE is underscored compared to the Russians and some others, and sometimes her PCS but it wouldn't change the result for sure (atleast not somewhere like here). Super thrilled she had a great competition and finally medaled in a big event. It has been a long time to come through in a big event and overdue to happen for her. I hope she can learn a quad or two over the summer possibly.

Fadeevfanboy

She is such a wonderful skater. And has really improved so much. I am glad she finally put it together in a big event. If quads were not part of womens skating now, she could be almost unbeatable.

DreamSkates

So proud of the way she skated in the short and long programs. She gave them her all and left nothing on the table. I admire her skill, tenacity, high quality of skating, and artistry. Congratulations on the well-deserved bronze medal!

Scott512

I actually thought Kaori could win the Olympic gold but Sasha with her 5 quads and and Anna with her everything over took her.

I've never seen such a level of speed power and presentation in a lady figure stater as Kaori. She scored 233 points and was not over scored and that's incredible to score over 230 points if you don't have an ultra jump or 2 or in Sashas case 5.;)

Most of you probably don't remember but at the 2016 JPGF Kaori finished 3rd behind Alina and Nastya.

She was so emotional after finishing 3rd. I just think these ladies I've been put through so much in the bubble and 2 years full in 2 years of missing practices and competition because of C19. Part of their emotions with just a release like thank God it's over too.

Let's hope worlds is not canceled KS will be a big threat there to whichever Russians show up.

KaoriFan

Olympics channel posted Kaori's programs. Her long program will be remembered most, it's so powerful, statement for strength and beauty for women, but today I have to watch her short program. Her speed, it's so fast!

Some skaters have speed, but it's inertia. Effortless or lumbering momentum. Kaori have cat-like speed and reflexes, it really shows with this video. She's like cheetah on ice. Nobody skate like this before.

Many times in women's skating, girls will just put on sequin and do what they are told, emulate this girl or that girl, who is the ideal, someone who came before. Kaori have her own individual style, pioneer pushing the boundary at the edge of the world in skating.

Johnny Weir called her skating when she was younger like "crushed velvet". Now she grew up stronger, still faster, skip like a pebble across ice, but much more powerful, but still effortless. Everything so smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information