ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

Willin

My biggest question about all this is how it will affect Russian skating long term - beyond the current ban. This genocide with all the current sanctions and future trials will affect Russian leadership in a way that might severely cut sports funding - and if a new regime is in place after who's to say they'll fund sports at all given the dire financial straits Russia will be in. And speaking of financial straits, the average citizens of Russia are the ones hurting the most. We saw what happened the last time there was a recession in Russia, with greatly diminished returns from 2006-2014 because most families couldn't fund the pre-government funding part of a skater's training, or at least couldn't fund it well enough.

I'll also be curious to see which or if any Russian current or former skaters/coaches jump ship after the travel/immigration bans are lifted. The media's making it seem like Eteri will - somehow I doubt it given her new worldwide infamy, possible sanctions related to the doping scandal, and massive earnings in Russia - but maybe she'll "visit her daughter" in Michigan again for an extended period of time. I think Liza and Evgenia are more likely. Liza's English is pretty good and she would be a stellar jump coach to recruit - not to mention her as a draw at shows for Western fans. Evgenia has posted subtle anti-war stuff, has solid English, and is very popular outside of Russia. Both are at an age where they could go to college internationally. I'm waiting to hear who's first...:watch:

caseyedwards

My biggest question about all this is how it will affect Russian skating long term - beyond the current ban. This genocide with all the current sanctions and future trials will affect Russian leadership in a way that might severely cut sports funding - and if a new regime is in place after who's to say they'll fund sports at all given the dire financial straits Russia will be in. And speaking of financial straits, the average citizens of Russia are the ones hurting the most. We saw what happened the last time there was a recession in Russia, with greatly diminished returns from 2006-2014 because most families couldn't fund the pre-government funding part of a skater's training, or at least couldn't fund it well enough.

I'll also be curious to see which or if any Russian current or former skaters/coaches jump ship after the travel/immigration bans are lifted. The media's making it seem like Eteri will - somehow I doubt it given her new worldwide infamy, possible sanctions related to the doping scandal, and massive earnings in Russia - but maybe she'll "visit her daughter" in Michigan again for an extended period of time. I think Liza and Evgenia are more likely. Liza's English is pretty good and she would be a stellar jump coach to recruit - not to mention her as a draw at shows for Western fans. Evgenia has posted subtle anti-war stuff, has solid English, and is very popular outside of Russia. Both are at an age where they could go to college internationally. I'm waiting to hear who's first...:watch:
The funding may be lower but the whole time post Soviet Union Russia has had state controlled and supported sports. Don’t see why that would change. Surely there were people in the 90’s who could have said “let’s save some money stop the state control of sports” but it never happened

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Vagabond

Upon consideration, I am posting this in this thread. If TPTB choose to close this thread or move this post elsewhere, I will have no problem with their decision.

I am making a gift of this. It will be accessible to all for two weeks.

This bit sticks out. I'm not going to cross-post, but it covers matters discussed in GSD, PI, and OS.

They came for Dmitri Kolker, an ailing physicist, in the intensive care ward. They came for Ivan Fedotov, a hockey star, as he was leaving practice with a film crew in tow. They came for Vladimir Mau, a state university rector, the week he was re-elected to the board of Gazprom....

Mr. Putin has said as much himself. In the speech in March in which he railed about the traitors in Russia’s midst, he called out those who physically reside in Russia but live in the West “in their thoughts, in their slave-like consciousness.”

He is also increasingly asserting that truly patriotic Russians must be committed to living and working in Russia. He told an economic conference in St. Petersburg last month that “real, solid success and a feeling of dignity and self-respect only occurs when you tie your future and your children’s future to your Motherland.”

In that context, the news that Mr. Fedotov, the goalie of Russia’s silver-medal national hockey team at the Beijing Olympics this February, signed a contract in May with the Philadelphia Flyers was likely to have been seen as a challenge.

I believe that this will impact figure skating on at least three fronts.

First, Russian skaters may find it difficult getting a release to skate in other countries, if a release is still required for them.

Second, it is things may get difficult for Russian passport holders who live, coach, or train abroad, even if it's for kust a short time and even if they also have citizenship in another country, for example, Diana Davis, Tiffany Zahorski, Jonathan Guerreiro, Evgeni Mishin and his group, and possibly even Eteri Tutberidze

Third, things may get difficult for Russian citizens who live and train in Russia but represent other federations (Team Georgia).

If I were in Davis and Smolkin's place, I would think long and hard before going back to Russia to compete domestically and appear in show

Last edited:

greenapple

Nikolai and Annabelle Morozov would also be included in that group who hold dual citizenship.
In that context, the news that Mr. Fedotov, the goalie of Russia’s silver-medal national hockey team at the Beijing Olympics this February, signed a contract in May with the Philadelphia Flyers was likely to have been seen as a challenge.
A Swedish reporter is posting updates about what is and has been happening to Fedotov and none of them are positive. Agents are now telling their clients not to return to Russia this summer. https://twitter.com/search?q=@karl_khl&src=typed_query

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
@karmena Your link isn't working, and it's doing weird things to the page. Would you mind deleting it and trying again, or maybe finding a similar link? Thanks.

Vagabond

@karmena Your link isn't working, and it's doing weird things to the page. Would you mind deleting it and trying again, or maybe finding a similar link? Thanks.

The fact that he was detained as a draft dodger does not mean that others (women, for example) might be immune. The New York Times article to which I linked above shows that the Russian authorities will come up with whatever charge suits them, such as espionage.

greenapple

This is crazy. A star hockey player signed to the NHL? Does that mean Ovechkin et al can’t go back?
Anyone can go back - but why would they? Russia is now the new "Hotel California....You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."

A journalist friend just sent me a note that "the guy who owns the Russian team Fedotov played for last season (CSKA Moscow) is a Putin crony" and that he reported him to the authorities for accepting the offer to play in the U.S.

Last edited:

Amy L

Putin is going full Stalin, this is not going to be a great next few years (not that it's been good lately, this is just clearly declining quickly). If he is getting paranoid enough to not let citizens leave & return, athletes will be in a lot of danger. Russian skaters can't compete internationally right now, but things could get bad for the "Georgians", and not every sport federation has banned Russians either.

A lot of skaters of Russian descent still have relatives in Russia, returning after going for family visits will put them under suspicion. Ekaterina Gordeeva still has a mom and sister who live there, and probably a lot of the other Russian coaches abroad do as well.

greenapple

The fact that he was detained as a draft dodger does not mean that others (women, for example) might be immune. The New York Times article to which I linked above shows that the Russian authorities will come up with whatever charge suits them, such as espionage.
Yes, for sure this applies to everyone no matter who you are, and no rational, justifiable or legal reason is required. Russia is now officially exposed as a police state.

LoisAGOEs

Several Russian NHL players have in fact gone home for the off-season, despite being warned not to by their team’s management. It remains to be seen if they’ll have it easy getting back or not. Alternatively, some decided to play it smart and stay in America or Canada.

karmena

thank you!
it is what I tried to post

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Putin is going full Stalin, this is not going to be a great next few years (not that it's been good lately, this is just clearly declining quickly). If he is getting paranoid enough to not let citizens leave & return, athletes will be in a lot of danger. Russian skaters can't compete internationally right now, but things could get bad for the "Georgians", and not every sport federation has banned Russians either.

A lot of skaters of Russian descent still have relatives in Russia, returning after going for family visits will put them under suspicion. Ekaterina Gordeeva still has a mom and sister who live there, and probably a lot of the other Russian coaches abroad do as well.
It's looking smarter and smarter for Kazakova/Reviya chose to relocate to Italy for the coming season at the minimum (and Ryabova and Lopareva/Brissaud choosing to relocate to France post-Worlds). I wish the Georgian fed could do the same for their pairs teams - Metelkina/Parkman are still in Russia and I think Safina/Berulava have returned to Perm since the FOI tour in Japan ended last week. Gubanova is also still in Moscow as far as I can tell, and Morisi is busy with shows.

Same goes for Shaidorov - he's in Moscow, but will Putin let him out of the country for a competition? Hell, will Putin even let him travel to Kazakhstan? Relations between Moscow and Kazakhstan aren't exactly great at the moment.

MsZem

I see the sea
Years ago Krasnopolski ran into trouble in israel over charges of desertion from his military service. But he was not injected with who knows what, hospitalized, and forcibly sent to a navy base in the arctic where his own lawyer couldn't reach him. This is horrifying.

The skaters who got out of Russia must be feeling very fortunate - and very worried for those they left behind.

greenapple

The situation unfolding inside Russia and the wanton destruction Putin is inflicting on Ukraine are terrifying on every level.

Now Putin is turning on his own citizens to prop up his insane ideology - how long will the Russians accept that before they revolt - or will they ever?

Mishin is planning a summer camp in Courchevel - does that go against Putin's dictum? Will Russian coaches be allowed to accompany non-Russian skaters to competitions this season? Or will those people also be punished for what might be viewed by the authorities as non-alliegience to the Motherland?

Willin

This may be why Davis and Smolkin are being evasive about whether they are married. Getting married in Las Vegas would not look good in Putin's eyes. :(
This would actually explain a heck of a lot about all the uncertainty regarding them - maybe not the changing coaches thing, but certainly the possibly switching to America thing and the Eteri visiting them (and them staying away from Russian soil). I'm sure they're hearing all this and are in a very tough spot - especially since whatever they do may affect Eteri.

I imagine they never had any intention to switch to the US - and I stand by that. This just adds another reason why they can't switch.

Amy L

This would actually explain a heck of a lot about all the uncertainty regarding them - maybe not the changing coaches thing, but certainly the possibly switching to America thing and the Eteri visiting them (and them staying away from Russian soil). I'm sure they're hearing all this and are in a very tough spot - especially since whatever they do may affect Eteri.

I imagine they never had any intention to switch to the US - and I stand by that. This just adds another reason why they can't switch.
It's more than that - - Gleb has been very vocally anti-Putin. A few other skaters, I particularly remember Volosozhar/Trankov, started out being critical, then simply wishing for peace, then just being quiet after they got a lot of abuse by trolls on their social medias. Gleb never backed down and could actually be in some danger.

Dobre

Anyone can go back - but why would they?
Well, I would assume family would be the biggest reason. Then regular income, an expiring VISA, a sense of home.
Now Putin is turning on his own citizens to prop up his insane ideology - how long will the Russians accept that before they revolt - or will they ever?
A general draft would be a big test of that, I would think.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
(and Ryabova and Lopareva/Brissaud choosing to relocate to France post-Worlds).
FTR Ryabova relocated to France as she is now engaged to Brissaud, but Lopareva/Brissaud didn't have to as they were never in Moscow permanently. They went to Zhulin only for training courses 😉

About Mishin team in Courchevel in August, I'm very surprised they can go.

airgelaal

But it is their decision to continue to pay Russia and become hostages.

Sylvia

TBD
Article dated July 5 - CAS told about the procedure for hearing an appeal to the removal of Russian skaters: https://m.sport-express.ru/figure-s...na-otstranenie-rossiyskih-figuristov-1946356/
Consideration of the appeal of the Russian Figure Skating Federation (FFKKR) and the Russian Skating Union (SKR) against the decision of the International Skating Union (ISU) to remove Russian athletes from participation in international tournaments will begin after the appointment of a panel of arbitrators in the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), informs TASS with reference to the press service of the court.
It is reported that due to the search for arbitrators, the date of the hearing has not yet been determined.

Sylvia

TBD
Because JGP spots are determined by countries' placements at the most recent Junior Worlds and no RUS or BLR skaters were allowed to compete, these are the allocations for RUS & BLR (marked *placements subject to lifting of protective measures as per ISU Communication 2469) as published at the end of the 2022-23 JGP Announcement document (pages 19-25): https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...es-53/28999-general-announcement-2022-23/file

August 24 - 27, 2022 Courchevel, France: 0 RUS, 0 BLR
Aug. 31 - Sept. 3, 2022 Ostrava, Czech Republic (incl. Pairs): 1 RUS in each discipline; 1 BLR pair
September 7 - 10, 2022 Riga, Latvia (incl. Pairs): 1 BLR in each discipline; 1 RUS pair
September 21 - 24, 2022 Yerevan, Armenia: 0 RUS, 0 BLR
Sept. 28 - Oct. 1, 2022 Grenoble, France (incl. Pairs): 0 RUS, 0 BLR
October 5 - 8, 2022 Gdansk, Poland (incl. Pairs): 1 RUS in each discipline; 1 BLR in each discipline
October 12 - 15, 2022 Egna-Neumarkt, Italy: 0 RUS, 0 BLR

greenapple

I believe the Czech Republic and Latvia stopped issuing visas to Russian/Belarusians months ago - except for humanitarian reasons - so unless people already have visas those two events would be off the table no matter what the outcome of the CAS hearing is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information