ISU Statement on Russia's war against Ukraine - Participation in international competitions of Skaters and Officials from Russia and Belarus

caseyedwards

Zelensky is a dictator?

Russian people are caught in the middle of a war fought outside of their border? (A war we're seeing many of them be very snide and dehumanizing about, no less)

You can't see rationale for banning Russia from competition for being a belligerent aggressor in this war - after years of being a belligerent aggressor in other corners, including the wrongful annexing of Crimea?

Can you explain this to me a bit better? Because it borders on "poor Russia" which no one has time or patience for currently.
Yes as of right now Zelensky is a dicatator. He’s banned political parties, banned religions, banned speaking languages! He’s a dictator

MacMadame

Doing all the things

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
The best thing that could happen immediately would be for star skaters and coaches to make clear that they would reconsider participating in an international event including Russian skaters skating for Russia. (Excluding the Gubanovas and Kurokovas skating for other countries since before the war shouldn’t be attempted, the point here is that Russians skating for Russia are state-funded and used to make political points. Excited Russians claiming Ilia or other second-Gen Russian-descent kids elsewhere can be ignored.)

skatingguy

decently
I read that post four times and could not figure it out. I thought the star skaters and coaches referred to Russian stars and coaches. 🤷
I did not see that interpretation the first time I read it based on other posts from the OP, but now that you say that I can see where the confusion came from.

Dobre

I think we can appreciate any effort by famous athletes to do this, but since most of us are not famous athletes, the more productive question here is what can we skating fans do?

airgelaal

Press conference.
03/02/2023
15:00
Olympics 2024: Position of the NOC of Ukraine on participation in international competitions in case of admission of Russian and Belarusian athletes

Broadcast in English

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Yes as of right now Zelensky is a dicatator. He’s banned political parties, banned religions, banned speaking languages! He’s a dictator
Absolutely correct. Not to say that Putin is also dictator. Our old Orthodox Cathedral in Washington, DC, is seeking free housing for just-arrived refugee Orth Christian families sent out of Ukraine by Zelensky. Orthodox churches not affiliated with Russia are being closed. US press keeping quiet about this.

Dictatorship and persecution on both sides.

Last edited:

airgelaal

Absolutely correct. Not to say that Putin is also dictator. Our old Orthodox Cathedral in Washington, DC, is seeking free housing for just-arrived refugee Orth Christian families sent out of Ukraine by Zelensky. Orthodox churches not affiliated with Russia are being closed. US press keeping quiet about this.

It should be a shame to publish an article that is a complete lie.
Excuse me, but what is to be done with priests who support the war and bless the killing of Ukrainians? Probably, they should have been rewarded
To my great regret, Ukraine has always been too democratic about many things, which led to the war. Everything related to Russia had to be banned back in 1991.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins

Jesus Christ on a cracker - you really need to stop with your pro-russia nonsense.

Here's a story from December, from ABC news. It's obviously not as black and white as you paint it, whatsoever.

Zelensky is not a dictator. Your "both sides" bullshit is offensive when Ukraine isn't the one stealing 10s of thousands of citizens and children from the country it's invaded. Ukraine isn't the belligerent who left behind a torture chamber used on children. That was Russia, who is under a very real, and very evil dictator.

Also, this underlines how religion continues to have power it shouldn't, and abuses its position politically while also trying to claim innocence. The sooner humanity evolves away from such archaic institutions, the better.

coppertop1

I am so disappointed in the Canadian Olympic Committee. 2024 being the Summer Games makes me not watching it kinda hollow, but beyond that, give me the sponsors and I will boycott those too. I mean, we know Lululemon is doing the athletes’ clothes.
Canada is still in the lurch about a medal in the Team Event. This feels like the Canadian Olympic Committe doesn't care

Rainbow

I have nothing to add to this. You either have Ukrainian Athletes compete or Russian Athletes. It`s beyond hypocritical by the IOC to cite as a reason to let Russian Athletes compete, that there are no UN sanctions in place.

airgelaal

Okay, let's imagine that russia is allowed to participate. Here we have a group of neutral athletes. Before flying to Paris, all of them will meet with a group of military soldiers and express their maximum support, tell them how proud they are of them and promise to win in order to prove to the whole world how strong russia is.
What will the IOC do?
What will the IOC do when there is evidence of support for war? Insist that these athletes are still neutral?
russian athletes have nothing to lose. They will take away the medals, return to russia and openly laugh at both the IOC and the whole world.

Firedancer

I’m really disgusted with both the US and Canadian Olympic committees that they would support the return of Russian and Belarusian athletes. We have seen Russian athletes compete as neutral athletes and it has done absolutely nothing. We have also seen how Russia uses its athletes for propaganda. Not to mention the doping situation which will be allowed to continue. Yet they believe this is an acceptable solution, even while athletes from both countries have been waiting for their Olympic medals for almost a year due to Russian doping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information