ISU Provisional Allotments for 2024, 2025 and 2026

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

On My Own

2025 4CCs has been rescheduled, per the request of the KSU, to Feb 18-23.

Must be because Asian winter games are from 7-14 Feb?

On My Own

Well, that makes more sense than my theory which is that the ISU and KSU want the current Men's WC to be able to do Art on Ice AND 4CCs next season. ;)
Haha. But Korean men will have the chance to win Asian Games and therefore be exempt from Military Service, which I think is the point (sorry if this is wrong info/incorrect understanding of those rules). Better to not tire them out, as would have been the case before, because obviously they'll "need" to show up at 4CC no matter what anyway.

Sylvia

TBD
All Provisional allotments unless otherwise marked:

Season 2024/25
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior) Dec 05 - Dec 08, 2024 Orleans /FRA
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 20 - Jan 26, 2025 Zagreb /CRO
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Feb 18 - Feb 23, 2025 Seoul /KOR (NEW DATES)
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Feb 24 - Mar 02, 2025 Debrecen /HUN
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships Mar 7-8, 2025 2025 Gothenburg /SWE [confirmed]
ISU World Figure Skating Championships Mar 24 - Mar 30, 2025 Boston /USA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2025, Apr 4-5, 2025, Helsinki/ FIN (previously scheduled to be held in Tampere)

Season 2025/26
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior) TBA Dec 04 - Dec 07, 2025
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 12 - Jan 18, 2026 Sheffield /GBR
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Jan 19 - Jan 24, 2026 Beijing /CHN
Olympic Winter Games 2026 Feb 06 - Feb 22, 2026 Milano-Cortina d'Ampezzo /ITA [confirmed]
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Mar 02 - Mar 08, 2026 Tallinn /EST
ISU World Figure Skating Championships Mar 23 - Mar 29, 2026 Prague /CZE
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2026 TBA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2026, Apr 10-11 Salzburg/ AUT

Season 2026/27
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 25 - Jan 31, 2027 Lausanne /SUI
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Feb 22 - Feb 28, 2027 Sofia /BUL
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2027, Apr 2-3, 2027, Nottingham/ GBR

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
4C’s is now less than a month from Worlds. For people training in North America, that would be a trip to Korea, then a week to get home and to get over jet lag and come down from the competition, a couple of weeks to train for Worlds. (Got my Worlds locations mixed up, and skipped Boston :shuffle:) If they did Art on Ice and 4C’s and Worlds, that would be a packed schedule in the most important part of the season.

It’s a good schedule, though, for any alternates for Worlds, since there’s less time they have to train the current year’s programs to be in competition shape, while knowing there’s a very small chance they’ll be called.

airgelaal

Season 2024/25

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Feb 18 - Feb 23, 2025 Seoul /KOR (NEW DATES)
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Feb 24 - Mar 02, 2025 Debrecen /HUN
:eek:

Karen-W

Season 2024/25

Fine by me. I have real issues with skaters doing both junior and senior level ISU Championships in the same season. If you're good enough to win or medal at Euros/4CCs then you've got no business competing at Jr Worlds. I'm lookin' at you Kao Miura and Metelkina/Berulava.

airgelaal

Fine by me. I have real issues with skaters doing both junior and senior level ISU Championships in the same season. If you're good enough to win or medal at Euros/4CCs then you've got no business competing at Jr Worlds. I'm lookin' at you Kao Miura and Metelkina/Berulava.
I am more worried about the coaches, representatives of national federations and ISU organizers. I think that this might be a problem for small federations

skatingguy

decently
I think if we're going to exclude athletes from competing in senior events who are good enough to do so than we have to willing to accept that athletes will compete in junior events just because they are age eligible.

Karen-W

I think if we're going to exclude athletes from competing in senior events who are good enough to do so than we have to willing to accept that athletes will compete in junior events just because they are age eligible.
Why? There are some very good reasons why skaters under a certain age are disallowed from competing at the senior level but I can't think of any, apart from financial, why a skater who finishes in the prize money ranks at a senior level ISU championship would compete at Jr Worlds. I'm willing to give a bit more leeway on the JGP because there are limited spots on the GP and sometimes skaters can make rapid progress or form new partnerships during the off-season and their best competitive options during the fall are the JGP and then some Challengers but I do not believe those skaters should be allowed to compete at Jr Worlds in the spring. Pick your championship lane and stay in it.

lexeoe

Season 2024/25
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior) Dec 05 - Dec 08, 2024 Orleans /FRA
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 20 - Jan 26, 2025 Zagreb /CRO
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships Mar 7-8, 2025 2025 Gothenburg /SWE [confirmed]
ISU World Figure Skating Championships Mar 24 - Mar 30, 2025 Boston /USA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2025, Apr 4-5, 2025, Helsinki/ FIN (previously scheduled to be held in Tampere)

Season 2025/26
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior) TBA Dec 04 - Dec 07, 2025
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 12 - Jan 18, 2026 Sheffield /GBR
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Jan 19 - Jan 24, 2026 Beijing /CHN
Olympic Winter Games 2026 Feb 06 - Feb 22, 2026 Milano-Cortina d'Ampezzo /ITA [confirmed]
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Mar 02 - Mar 08, 2026 Tallinn /EST
ISU World Figure Skating Championships Mar 23 - Mar 29, 2026 Prague /CZE
ISU World Junior Synchronized Skating Championships 2026 TBA
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2026, Apr 10-11 Salzburg/ AUT

Season 2026/27
ISU European Figure Skating Championships Jan 25 - Jan 31, 2027 Lausanne /SUI
ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships Feb 22 - Feb 28, 2027 Sofia /BUL
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships 2027, Apr 2-3, 2027, Nottingham/ GBR
hasn't the 2025 GPF been allocated to Japan?

Sylvia

TBD
Japan (no city) was published as the GPF location in ISU Communication No. 2611 Decisions of the Council
The ISU Council met online on February 7, 2024.
The following were among the decisions taken by the Council during the meeting.
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Junior & Senior), JPN: December 4-7, 2025

gkelly

Why? There are some very good reasons why skaters under a certain age are disallowed from competing at the senior level but I can't think of any, apart from financial, why a skater who finishes in the prize money ranks at a senior level ISU championship would compete at Jr Worlds.
Before 2001, Junior Worlds took place earlier in the season than any of the senior ISU championships, so it was quite common for skaters to compete at JW and then move on to Euros (or 4Cs in its very brief existence that overlapped with December JW) and/or Worlds later in the same season. I.e., moving up from junior to senior during the season.

I believe there was (and still is?) a prohibition on returning to junior competition after medaling at the World Championships, i.e., the following season, but I don't know that there was a similar provision for the senior continental championships.

With the change in schedule, in this century it is possible for skaters to medal/place well at Euros/4Cs before Junior Worlds of the same season. Is that what you're objecting to?

There's not a lot of time before Junior Worlds for a skater to change their plans to compete at JW if they unexpectedly medaled at 4Cs a few weeks earlier -- or Euros, but there is usually a longer time gap.

It also may be more an issue for the federation rather than the skater/team themselves, if there isn't anyone else from that federation who is qualified to use the JW spot.

airgelaal

It also may be more an issue for the federation rather than the skater/team themselves, if there isn't anyone else from that federation who is qualified to use the JW spot.
Yes, and we should not forget about the spots for the next jgp season.

Sylvia

TBD
I believe there was (and still is?) a prohibition on returning to junior competition after medaling at the World Championships, i.e., the following season, but I don't know that there was a similar provision for the senior continental championships.
Is there? If so, does anyone know the ISU rule number?

lexeoe

Japan (no city) was published as the GPF location in ISU Communication No. 2611 Decisions of the Council
i hope it's reallocated to another city/country. its already unfair in my opinion to skaters that they need to travel that long distance before the olympics. unless of course your from china or japan but even some their skaters train either in europe or north america.

Karen-W

i hope it's reallocated to another city/country. its already unfair in my opinion to skaters that they need to travel that long distance before the olympics. unless of course your from china or japan but even some their skaters train either in europe or north america.
The GPF is two MONTHS before the Olympics not two weeks. The skaters are fine and can handle the travel.

Sylvia

TBD
December 2025 Grand Prix Final is being planned to be held in a brand new arena in Nagoya:
The 2025 Grand Prix Final, where the top six of the International Skating Union (ISU) figure skating competition Grand Prix series will compete, will be held at the IG Arena (Aichi Prefectural New Gymnasium) currently under construction in Kita Ward, Nagoya (scheduled to open in summer 2025). It was decided to be held. It will be held in December, but the exact date has not been disclosed.
 On the 19th, Japan Skating Federation Chairman Akihisa Nagashima, a member of the House of Representatives, and others reported on the event being held in Nagoya to Governor Hideaki Omura and Nagoya Mayor Takashi Kawamura at the Aichi Prefectural Assembly Building. ``It is no exaggeration to say that Aichi is the kingdom of figure skating.I hope that the local power will lead us to great success,'' he said, requesting cooperation.

Dates listed currently on the ISU's event page are Dec. 4-7, 2025: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...nd-prix-of-figure-skating-final-junior-senior

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yup, I liked when the ISU ventured outside the box and started hosting the GPF in countries not part of the six regular-season stops. The crowd in Barcelona was lively and excited for all the skating even if they only had Fernandez, so it’s not a case of Japan being the only place with the ability to fill up seats. And there are places other than Torino (the first experimental city IIRC) that I’m sure fans would flock to.

It’s only been held once in the US, and it came at a time when was skating was crashing down in popularity in the States.

Jammers

Yup, I liked when the ISU ventured outside the box and started hosting the GPF in countries not part of the six regular-season stops. The crowd in Barcelona was lively and excited for all the skating even if they only had Fernandez, so it’s not a case of Japan being the only place with the ability to fill up seats. And there are places other than Torino (the first experimental city IIRC) that I’m sure fans would flock to.

It’s only been held once in the US, and it came at a time when was skating was crashing down in popularity in the States.
Yeah even Canada has at least had 4 times to host the GPF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information