ISU Council's Proposal to change Rule 108 - Age Limits for Single & Pair Skating / Ice Dance + ISU Medical Commission's report

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
When people say things like this, it makes me wonder how old they are and how long they have been watching skating given that it's a very recent development and doesn't exist at every competition.
The kiss and cry has been around since at least the early 80s (source here), so I certainly do not consider that a very recent development. The leaders' couch is only 10 years old, but it's one of the few good things the ISU has done to modernize the production of the sport. I would like them to take it a step further and mic up the leaders and turn the mics up in the K&C (this happens occasionally) -- similar to what we see in many other sports today.

In this instance, I wouldn't be surprised if the poster were the same age as Brenda Bottems.
Comparisons are odious, my friend.

Last edited:

starrynight

The leaders' couch is only 10 years old, but it's one of the few good things the ISU has done to modernize the production of the sport. I would like them to take it a step further and mic up the leaders and turn the mics up in the K&C (this happens occasionally) -- similar to what we see in many other sports today.

I agree completely. Would have given anything to have a leaders couch during some of the big rivalries like Davis/White and Virtue/Moir etc.

Once the age limit comes through, almost all of the skaters will be adults so we won’t have any more of the ‘but she’s a ~literal child~’ stuff going on in the senior division, so I don’t see any issue with these interesting made for tv moments.

I also really like how they announce each skater in the group with a dark arena and spotlights. Lot of fun for the tv audience.

Vagabond

Something in another thread made me wonder whether any federations are adopting similar rules for domestic competition. Does anyone know one that has or is considering doing so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information