ISU Challenger Series 2022/23 season

Debbie S

Looks like the photo on the event page was not a clue. ;) It's understandable the top teams (who toured) aren't yet ready for comp....hopefully, they'll be able to do a Challenger before GP season.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Looks like the photo on the event page was not a clue. ;) It's understandable the top teams (who toured) aren't yet ready for comp....hopefully, they'll be able to do a Challenger before GP season.
Boo. You got my hopes up. :(

The Mens field is the best out of all of them, but I’ll be seeing a lot of skaters I haven’t seen before.

clairecloutier

Lake Placid entries

Just browsing quickly and noted Alessia Tornaghi who we haven’t seen in a while.

Great field of men, but the other lineups are a tad bit disappointing.

I was kind of hoping for Green/Parsons, Lajoie/Lagha, and/or the Browns in ice dance, and Knierim/Frazier and/or Efimova/Blommaert or Stellato/Deschamps in pairs. Oh well ....

sk9tingfan

Great field of men, but the other lineups are a tad bit disappointing.

I was kind of hoping for Green/Parsons, Lajoie/Lagha, and/or the Browns in ice dance, and Knierim/Frazier and/or Efimova/Blommaert or Stellato/Deschamps in pairs. Oh well ....
Had Green and Parsons appeared on that list, I would have driven the four hours alone to be there. But thank goodness for Peacock!

sk9tingfan

Who knows? ;) "AN UPDATED SCHEDULE, TICKET INFORMATION AND COMPETITOR LIST WILL BE AVAILABLE SOON.": https://www.usfigureskating.org/event/2022-us-international-figure-skating-classic
ETA: Just checked and U.S. Classic event info is not yet available on the Lake Placid Legacy Sites website.

Nebelhorn Trophy ticket info is published at the bottom of this page: https://www.eislauf-union.de/events/nebelhorn-trophy
Tickets for the competitions are available in advance from 15 August 2022 at the Oberstdorf Ice Sports Center and at the Tourist Information in Oberstdorf-Haus. Tickets for the exhibition gala of the winners are only available at the box office during the competition days (22 to 24 September 2022).
Water has boiled! :cheer2: :eek:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Had Green and Parsons appeared on that list, I would have driven the four hours alone to be there. But thank goodness for Peacock!
For us it’s a combo trip, spending weekend near Hudson with my brother-in-law and visiting DH’s old friend near LP, so we go anyway. But I agree I was hoping for G/P or H/B. I’ve never seen the 4 US teams in person though so that will be fun. (Should be an easy win for the Brits and Korean girls.)

Sylvia

TBD
Lake Placid entries

Just browsing quickly and noted Alessia Tornaghi who we haven’t seen in a while.
Tornaghi is training in Boston at the moment.

As of August 18:

Men
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Wesley CHIU CAN 1
2 Stephen GOGOLEV CAN 1
3 Arlet LEVANDI EST 2
4 Kevin AYMOZ FRA 3
5 Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 4
6 Daniel GRASSL ITA 5
7 Donovan CARRILLO MEX 6
8 Edrian Paul CELESTINO PHI 7
9 Jimmy MA USA 8
10 Ilia MALININ USA 8
11 Camden PULKINEN USA 8
12 Eric SJOBERG USA 8
Goku ENDO USA 8 S
Samuel MINDRA USA 8 S

Women
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Victoria ALCANTARA AUS 1
2 Marilena KITROMILIS CYP 2
3 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 3
4 Alexandra Panagiota MANIS GRE 4
5 Tara PRASAD IND 5
6 Ella CHEN ISR 6
Taylor MORRIS ISR 6 S
7 Alessia TORNAGHI ITA 7
8 Mana KAWABE JPN 8
9 Yelim KIM KOR 9
10 Young YOU KOR 9
11 Andrea MONTESINOS CANTU MEX 10
12 Merilyn OTGONBAYAR MGL 11
13 Jocelyn HONG NZL 12
14 Sofia Lexi Jacqueline FRANK PHI 13
15 Jill HEINER USA 14
16 Sonja HILMER USA 14
17 Gabriella IZZO USA 14
18 Audrey SHIN USA 14
Rena IKENISHI USA 14 S
Maryn PIERCE USA 14 S
Wren WARNE-JACOBSEN USA 14 S

Pairs
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Kelly Ann LAURIN / Loucas ETHIER CAN 1
2 Lori-Ann MATTE / Thierry FERLAND CAN 1
3 Anastasia VAIPAN-LAW / Luke DIGBY GBR 2
4 Emily CHAN / Spencer Akira HOWE USA 3
5 Maria MOKHOVA / Ivan MOKHOV USA 3
6 Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ USA 3
7 Megan WESSENBERG / Blake EISENACH USA 3

Ice Dance
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Samantha RITTER / Daniel BRYKALOV AZE 1
2 Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC CAN 2
3 Haley SALES / Nikolas WAMSTEEKER CAN 2
4 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON GBR 3
5 Mariia NOSOVITSKAYA / Mikhail NOSOVITSKIY ISR 4
6 Leia DOZZI / Pietro PAPETTI ITA 5
7 Misato KOMATSUBARA / Tim KOLETO JPN 6
8 Charlotte LAFOND-FOURNIER / Richard Kang In KAM NZL 7
9 Olivia OLIVER / Elliott GRAHAM POL 8
10 Angela LING / Caleb WEIN USA 9
11 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Anton SPIRIDONOV USA 9
12 Eva PATE / Logan BYE USA 9
13 Katarina WOLFKOSTIN / Jeffrey CHEN USA 9

sk9tingfan

For us it’s a combo trip, spending weekend near Hudson with my brother-in-law and visiting DH’s old friend near LP, so we go anyway. But I agree I was hoping for G/P or H/B. I’ve never seen the 4 US teams in person though so that will be fun. (Should be an easy win for the Brits and Korean girls.)
Have a great time!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
The men's lineup is definitely the strongest of the four - so excited to see both Malinin and Pulkinen making their season debuts here! Dance is an interesting mix, but, yes, should be an easy win for Fear/Gibson - wish we were seeing some of the other top US teams debut instead (C/P, G/P, H/B). On paper, pairs should be Chan/Howe's to win, but I'm excited for Plazas/Fernandez and interested in seeing how Vaipan-Law/Digby and Mokhova/Mokhov have improved as it's been at least 7 months since I've seen either teamThe women's line-up is kind of light beyond You and Kim - Kawabe & Shin should be at least competitive with Kim, but neither is as consistent, so we'll see.

I wasn't expecting Knierim/Frazier or Chock/Bates here - K/F just had their new programs choreographed at the start of this month, and C/B have been doing a lot of touring and haven't had a lot of time in Montreal this off-season compared to a team like F/B. I am, though, a little surprised that we aren't getting Thorngren here, especially since Levito has SkAm. I am a little surprised that Gamez/Korovin of the Philippines aren't entered in the pairs comp since this is probably the easiest Challenger for them to get to, but maybe they aren't ready for competition yet.

sk8nlizard

The men's lineup is definitely the strongest of the four - so excited to see both Malinin and Pulkinen making their season debuts here! Dance is an interesting mix, but, yes, should be an easy win for Fear/Gibson - wish we were seeing some of the other top US teams debut instead (C/P, G/P, H/B). On paper, pairs should be Chan/Howe's to win, but I'm excited for Plazas/Fernandez and interested in seeing how Vaipan-Law/Digby and Mokhova/Mokhov have improved as it's been at least 7 months since I've seen either teamThe women's line-up is kind of light beyond You and Kim - Kawabe & Shin should be at least competitive with Kim, but neither is as consistent, so we'll see.

I wasn't expecting Knierim/Frazier or Chock/Bates here - K/F just had their new programs choreographed at the start of this month, and C/B have been doing a lot of touring and haven't had a lot of time in Montreal this off-season compared to a team like F/B. I am, though, a little surprised that we aren't getting Thorngren here, especially since Levito has SkAm. I am a little surprised that Gamez/Korovin of the Philippines aren't entered in the pairs comp since this is probably the easiest Challenger for them to get to, but maybe they aren't ready for competition yet.
Honestly, I was a little surprised not to see Gracie. Seemed like a good opportunity to put her and Sonja head to head to think about the SA tbd spot.

Dobre

It's a nice men's line up with Malinin, Aymoz, Grassl, Pulkinen, Gogolev, Chiu, Carrillo, etc. Very nice.

It's a strange U.S. dance line up. Usually at least one of the top 3 ranked dance teams would be there. It doesn't surprise me that the teams that skated late in the season last year want more time to prepare but--feels like someone among the 4 most established teams was probably planning to do the event & then could not. Anyway, good for Ling & Wein getting an invitation and it should be an interesting fight for either silver or bronze.

litenkyckling

It's a nice men's line up with Malinin, Aymoz, Grassl, Pulkinen, Gogolev, Chiu, Carrillo, etc. Very nice.

It's a strange U.S. dance line up. Usually at least one of the top 3 ranked dance teams would be there. It doesn't surprise me that the teams that skated late in the season last year want more time to prepare but--feels like someone among the 4 most established teams was probably planning to do the event & then could not. Anyway, good for Ling & Wein getting an invitation and it should be an interesting fight for either silver or bronze.
I'm not surprised that C/B aren't going as they don't need the points and can easily debut at SkAm - but I am surprised not to see H/B or Gr/P on that list.

Dobre

I'm not surprised that C/B aren't going as they don't need the points and can easily debut at SkAm - but I am surprised not to see H/B or Gr/P on that list.
Or Carreira & Ponomarenko. They were lower down at Nationals last year than Wolfkostin & Chen, but they were clearly ranked higher in USFS's hierarchy as they got the invite to 4CCs. Feels like we aren't getting the usual social-media fluff from C&P's team this summer either? And their GP events are all late in the calendar.

Karen-W

Or Carreira & Ponomarenko. They were lower down at Nationals last year than Wolfkostin & Chen, but they were clearly ranked higher in USFS's hierarchy as they got the invite to 4CCs. Feels like we aren't getting the usual social-media fluff from C&P's team this summer either? And their GP events are all late in the calendar.
I figure C/P must still be in recovery mode from Anthony's surgery.

litenkyckling

It does seem likely to me that they were scheduled for the 4th & 6th GP on purpose. Often when that is done we don't see the team for quite a while.
I think it's likely a combination of competition readiness and also they're currently 12th (I think) in WS so they aren't under the same pressure to go to challengers for the points.

Then again, the lack of top US teams may be because Lombardia is overlapping US Classic and Nebelhorn overlaps Lombardia so we might see a spread across all 3. H/B have been getting beat by F/G for a while now and so it could set them up better to go to a challenger they could win or only be beat by say G/P or G/F.

Dobre

The U.S. Challenger would have been the priority over Lombardia. If there is a top-4 U.S. team at Lombardia, I think it will be because someone else was originally assigned the U.S. Classic.

If H&B are going to meet F&G, the U.S. Classic would be a prime place for H&B to do it.

Karen-W

The U.S. Challenger would have been the priority over Lombardia. If there is a top-4 U.S. team at Lombardia, I think it will be because someone else was originally assigned the U.S. Classic.

If H&B are going to meet F&G, the U.S. Classic would be a prime place for H&B to do it.
Didn't Green/Parsons debut at Lombardia last season and do surprisingly well? It could be they want to go to Lombardia again - I might be misremembering and am too lazy to look at their ISU bio right now, lol.

I agree, though, about H/B - US Classic would have been an ideal competition to go head-to-head with F/G, so they must not feel they're quite ready yet.

litenkyckling

Didn't Green/Parsons debut at Lombardia last season and do surprisingly well? It could be they want to go to Lombardia again - I might be misremembering and am too lazy to look at their ISU bio right now, lol.

I agree, though, about H/B - US Classic would have been an ideal competition to go head-to-head with F/G, so they must not feel they're quite ready yet.
I think Gr/P debuted at Boston Lake Placid last year? It's such a shame that ACI and USC can't both be challengers now, as not getting USC adds so much more travel to early seasons for NA based athletes.

Perhaps teams that went to Olympics/Worlds just wanted a longer off season to reset? In a more sparse field it doesn't have quite the same consequences I suppose.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
They only recently (idk when it may have been like a month ago time is weird) posted a pic with themselves off the ice practicing some dance (with Sam I think?) and then on the ice (in early August) with Madison Hubbell, Marie-France, and Sam Chouinard. And they've definitely both posted from Montreal. But I feel like their choreography maybe was only done recently. Like Karen, I'm guessing this has to do with Anthony's recovery. I was excited to get proof they were actually on the ice though hahaha.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Kaori, Wakaba and Kurakova...I'm going to miss Friday driving back from Lake Placid but Saturday will be :watch:

Dobre

It is a nice dance field. It will be nice to see Portesi-Peroni & Chrastecky back in international competition also, and Bratti & Somerville are there too. (Charlie, please put some relationship-building choreography into that FD. It needs storytelling).

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Finally Anna Pezzetta pops up! I was starting to wonder about her. I hadn't seen her name anywhere and didn't even know whether she was planning to compete junior or senior this year. I hope she's gotten some consistency to back up those big gorgeous jumps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information