IS A SKATER WHO HAS TURNED COACH AUTHORIZED TO TEACH THE SAME AS ANY OTHER COACH?

FSWer

Ok..I was thinking about this today at work. I know a Skater really shouldn't show you things like a Spiral and all...unless a coach is spotting....BUT...is a Skater who has TURNED Coach just AS authorized to teach a Spirals and things like that themselves?

Willin

I'm not quite getting what you're asking, but if you're asking about who's qualified to teach what, it really depends.

Coaching is regulated really spottily. Some rinks are really strict, others are not strict. Some rinks require all group lessons to be taught by coaches with insurance, some allow higher level skaters in high school to work as teachers on lower level classes (like tots) under the supervision of a coach, and other rinks let adults with only basic skating skills teach beginner classes.

Within non group lessons, most coaches can coach most things. In order to coach a skater through certain things, you need to meet certain requirements. All coaches need liability insurance and to be registered with the governing body their skaters compete/test in (USFSA, ISI, Skate Canada, etc.). In the past (not sure if this is still the case), a coach would have to have passed the test (or an equivalent adult track test) in order to be at the boards while their skater is testing that test (ie. if your skater is testing Intermediate moves, you would have to have passed Intermediate moves or Adult Gold moves yourself). For competition, standards are actually more lax. All you have to do is take and pass a certain number of PSA continuing education hours each year to get a certification level. There's a few different levels including one allowing coaching at local/regional competitions, one allowing coaching at national competitions, and another for international championships. Depending on your experience and how well your skaters perform in tests/competitions nationally and internationally, you can also get special merit designations through the PSA to denote your excellence in coaching.

Because of this, I'd say that if you're learning something basic, like just moving across the ice without falling or standing up, it's totally fine to learn it from a skater who's not a coach.
On the other hand, if you're learning something harder and more risky (jumps, spins, turns, field moves, etc.), you should learn it from a coach. Of course, you want to choose your coach carefully based on what you want in a coach and what you want out of skating. Some good things to consider are: How do the other coaches at the rink see the coach's personality/level of expertise/trustworthiness? What system do their skaters compete in? What certifications and experience do they have? Does their area of expertise match up with what you want to learn (Jumps, Spins, Moves, Dance, competitive coaching, choreography, Synchro, recreational/ISI skating)? What do they expect of their skaters (time investment, testing only, competing)? ISI only coaches are great if you want to skate for fun. If you're skating to pass tests or do local competitions, you'll probably be fine with most coaches that coach USFSA. If you want to be competitive at a national/international level, you'll want to get the best coach at your rink or maybe move to another rink.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
Hi FSWer.

A skater who is just a skater should not try to teach other skaters unless their club approves (like in learn to skate). However, a skater can be a skater and a coach at the same time. I took lessons from Logan (of Lynn and Logan fame) while they were still competing. He had all the insurance and other requirements listed above. It's also fairly common for adult skaters to get the necessary approvals to coach.

Sometimes skaters wait until
after their competitive careers are over to coach.

FSWer

My other coach is a former Freestyle Skater. Would she be able to teach a Spiral,etc.?

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Yes, she can teach skills like spirals. But like any coach, she will teach you harder skills based on how well you do with your basic skating. Have fun and get those basic skills down!

skatemommy

To be a coach of private students, you need to be a member of the PSA. Also club membership, Back ground check, liability insurance, CERs and (usually) approved by the club's Board of Directors. It cost me almost $500 to hang my hat and coach next season. Not for the not serious coach.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer a lot of coaches are former skaters themselves. So I'm not sure what you are asking. Most coaches have to go through some sort of approval process before they are allowed to coach, but whether they are a former skater or not isn't usually part of the decision on whether they can be a coach.

Personally I think any move that you want to learn, you should learn from an approved coach - at least when you are first learning it. Every skater learns a different way, and every skater understands the same move a different way (as in, what they do to accomplish the move, how it feels to them). So what works for another skater may not necessarily work for you. I have also seen skaters giving advice to other skaters that is either wrong or potentially dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information