Iran plane crash: Ukraine International Airline jet crashes killing 176

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I think this is what is called killed by friendly fire. The US military should be careful about throwing stones, given in cases of friendly fire they live in a very brittle glass house.

It is a terrible tragedy. So many people from my small neck of the woods have been affected; it is gut wrenching. As some Republican talking head said “words matter,” well so do actions. I hope that this tragedy has cooled off heads on both sides and maybe the diplomats will be allowed to get back to work. We can’t bring back the dead, but we can work to make sure no one else dies.

It is a terrible, horrible (and avoidable) tragedy. The US (who monitors such things) warned planes (by whatever means they use) to not fly over that area.
The pilot/airline/whomever did not heed that warning. That is the blame part.
Yes, it is more expensive to fly around the danger zone, it takes longer, puts schedules behind.......but it does avoid 167 dead people.

Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, en route from Tehran to Kyiv, was shot down by an Iranian anti-aircraft missile in what was likely an accident, several U.S. military officials told Newsweek. The incident occurred just hours after Iran launched 15 missiles at Iraqi military bases in retaliation for the assassination of general Qasem Soleimani.

According to the dictionary, Friendly Fire this was not.
weapon fire coming from one's own side, especially fire that causes accidental injury or death to one's own forces.

It is a horror to be sure. Thousands of people are affected by this.
I don't know what the President will do. I do know that Iranians and Iraqi's have been killing each other for decades. I think they are clear that actions matter, and they will keep killing each other. It is what they know.

I am not sure which diplomats you are hoping get back to work.

ballettmaus

It is a terrible, horrible (and avoidable) tragedy. The US (who monitors such things) warned planes (by whatever means they use) to not fly over that area.
The pilot/airline/whomever did not heed that warning. That is the blame part.

The FAA restricted the airspace over the Persian Gulf for all US airlines. This airline was Ukrainian and they have nothing to do with the FAA. (Plus, other flights took off before this one).

TygerLily

It started with Trump but I, who hate him with the power of 100,000 suns, think the Iranians take this one. Whether by accident or design, they shot down a civilian airliner that was on its flight path, which they could have done without Soleimeni's killing.
Assuming a human fired the missile, I think whoever fired or ordered it can be 100% responsible without absolving Trump from his part in the chain of events. Yes, this could have happened without Soleimani's killing, but would it have been as likely to have occurred had Trump not escalated tensions between the countries so dramatically?

Reactions: mag

Judy

Assuming a human fired the missile, I think whoever fired or ordered it can be 100% responsible without absolving Trump from his part in the chain of events. Yes, this could have happened without Soleimani's killing, but would it have been as likely to have occurred had Trump not escalated tensions between the countries so dramatically?

At the end of the day Iran owns responsibility. I could care less about what happened before. I am sure Iran will kill it’s own people responsible though. Very, very tragic.

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
It’s typical of the vile and disgusting regime that runs Iran that they now go and arrest the person who filmed the video of the civilian plane being downed. A case of ‘shooting the messenger’ as it were, or in this case of having embarrassed and exposed the moronic regime responsible for the atrocity.

Last edited:

agalisgv

Now appears two missiles were fired at the airplane.

Growing speculation the missiles were fired intentionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information