Iran plane crash: Ukraine International Airline jet crashes killing 176

TygerLily

We were discussing this tragedy in what is hopefully an unrelated thread and thought it might be appropriate to move the discussion to OTBT.

"A Ukrainian Boeing 737-800 with 176 people on board has crashed in Iran, and officials say there is no chance of finding survivors. Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 to Kyiv went down just minutes after taking off from Tehran's airport at 06:12 local time (02:42 GMT). The majority of passengers were from Iran and Canada." https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51029994

More BBC Stories:
Iran plane crash: The victims of Ukraine Flight PS752

CBC Stories & Live Blog:
63 Canadians among dead after Ukrainian plane crash in Iran, airline says
CBC Live Blog
Families, students among 63 Canadians dead in Iran plane crash

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
There were many international students on the flight returning to their studies in Canada or coming to start studies here - they were part of the 138 passengers who were making the connection to the flight to Toronto. :cry: :cry:

manhn

When I first heard about the crash, I was sad but in a neutral kind of way. But when I heard just how many Canadians were killed, it really hit me. I feel guilty about that, but it is what it is. An owner of an Iranian bakery that I run past during one of my regular runs lost his wife and daughter. The proximity of it all.

skategal

Bunny mama
When I first heard about the crash, I was sad but in a neutral kind of way. But when I heard just how many Canadians were killed, it really hit me. I feel guilty about that, but it is what it is. An owner of an Iranian bakery that I run past during one of my regular runs lost his wife and daughter. The proximity of it all.

I felt like someone punched me in the gut when I read how many Canadians were killed and again when I heard the PM say 138 were bound for Canada.

No doubt some of those were in the process to become Canadian as well.

It is so sad. What a massive loss for our country. :(

DFJ

rvi5

The second video in this article is interesting. If you look closely, there appears to be a small light travelling quickly from left-to-right (a missile?), a bright mid-air explosion, followed briefly by something moving right-to-left (the plane on fire?).

Last edited:

puglover

Blood on Trump’s hands for this.
Sadly, what I hear and read from friends and associates who support Trump is that they do not view it this way at all and see him as the one who finally did draw a line in the sand and not just threaten. I am baffled as to how they do not see him in his true colors and these friends and family members would never speak or behave in the ways he does. Why? Why?

Cachoo

The second video in this article is interesting. If you look closely, there appears to be a small light travelling quickly from left-to-right (a missile?), a bright mid-air explosion, followed briefly by something moving right-to-left (the plane on fire?).

MSNBC was reporting today that they believe the scene of the crash has been moved overnight (satellite imagery.) That seems insane but then the last few years have been insane.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
No it started with Trump.

It started with Trump but I, who hate him with the power of 100,000 suns, think the Iranians take this one. Whether by accident or design, they shot down a civilian airliner that was on its flight path, which they could have done without Soleimeni's killing.

mag

President Trump has laid the blame where it clearly belongs at the feet of the Iranians.

I think this is what is called killed by friendly fire. The US military should be careful about throwing stones, given in cases of friendly fire they live in a very brittle glass house.

It is a terrible tragedy. So many people from my small neck of the woods have been affected; it is gut wrenching. As some Republican talking head said “words matter,” well so do actions. I hope that this tragedy has cooled off heads on both sides and maybe the diplomats will be allowed to get back to work. We can’t bring back the dead, but we can work to make sure no one else dies.

Judy

I spoke to my retired military friend and he explained how it would have happened. I don’t understand this stuff so it helped. Trump also only had the authority to not allow any U.S. planes to depart which he did. The other countries should have done the same and I believe some did. There’s a video on CNN with the interview with the expert. It wasn’t intentional but very tragic.

ballettmaus

It started with Trump but I, who hate him with the power of 100,000 suns, think the Iranians take this one. Whether by accident or design, they shot down a civilian airliner that was on its flight path, which they could have done without Soleimeni's killing.

Iran is responsible for shooting down the plane, no question. The deaths are on them. That said, I think Ukraine also bears some responsibility since they didn't ground their flights and Trump set the events into motion that led Iran shooting down the plane, so, some of the blame is on him, too.

Susan1

They wouldn't have been firing missiles if they weren't trying to retaliate for what trump did. It's not the only plane that took off that morning.

Judy

They wouldn't have been firing missiles if they weren't trying to retaliate for what trump did. It's not the only plane that took off that morning.

They likely had their air defence system turned on automatic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information