Interview with Volosozhar/Trankov

hanca

Values her privacy
Trankov is just as you would expect, right? Tatiana seems like a class act - he lucked out.
Oh, come on! What fun would be if everyone was answering just like Volosozhar? She seems to be a genuinely nice person, but having the whole interview answered only by her, it would soon get pretty boring. Trankov may not be classy, but it is quite fun reading it! He gives it the juice.

Bigbird

Oh, come on! What fun would be if everyone was answering just like Volosozhar? She seems to be a genuinely nice person, but having the whole interview answered only by her, it would soon get pretty boring. Trankov may not be classy, but it is quite fun reading it! He gives it the juice.

Always amazes me why seeming class acts fall for Trankov types. Power trip? Entertainment? Both maybe? LOL.

skatfan

Actually, I am amused by him and laughing at his indiscretions. Just sayin' that Tatiana is probably a good balance for the relationship.

hanca

Values her privacy
Always amazes me why seeming class acts fall for Trankov types. Power trip? Entertainment? Both maybe? LOL.
My guess would be the body and the entertainment. The sex also could be a reason - Trankov seems to be the passionate type. But to be fair, I quite like people who say what’s on their mind rather than beating round the bush. Maybe Volosozhar also like people who just say what they think, and Trankov definitely ticks the box in this area.

CaliSteve

MT take on the Mariah-Eunsoo "drama" is interesting:

Q: The last Worlds were shaken by the scandal of Bell cutting her rival from South Korea Lim. I heard there was a whole investigation since the ice was covered with the blood and it influenced the skaters who were skating after. How often does it happen in figure skating?
MT: First of all they both train in Arutyunian's group. They never had any troubles. Bell is a darling, she can't do something of the kind on purpose. Lim is a girl from South Korea - the country that gave us Yu Na Kim - the great Olympic champion who became 2nd in Sochi. We all remember how her fans treated Adelina Sotnikova, how many threats she received. It does not put them in the positive light and I hate it how the reaction becomes uncontrollable and the sport become more of a show. The crazy fans see a treat to their idol in every word you say. I became a number one enemy for Zagitova's fans. I got a call from someone from a St. Petersburg newspaper who started asking for some burns Alina had at the nationals. I said `Since she skated, guess she could. It's the sport, it's not a big deal, people skate with the injuries. My Zhenya Tarasova fell on her chin'. The dude started some crazy talk and I shut him down. The shit storm it caused! the social networks were full of `Is your Tarasova skating with her chin!?' `You shoudl be dead!'. There were horrible things like `I'll rape your daughter'. Angelica was not even two years old at that moment. Zagitova's crazy fans don't understand that because of that negativity she is treated worse. I am an exptet figure skating commentator and I try to talk as little as possible about Alina, even though I bow to that amazing skater! Especially for what she did at worlds! But am sick of repeating: I don't give a damn who wins the worlds, as long as it's a Russian skater.
The Korean fans started the shit show around Lim. We saw how Raf's wife ran to her, took off her skate and checked the injury. There was no rivers of blood on the ice as the papers called it. Bell was hysterical she cut her training mate. When all that began in the press I said it does not compliment our sport but makes it more popular. There are some invented by the press rivalry between the girls and no one writes how Zagitova and Medvedeva hug and congratulate each other off the ice. There is no war between them!

MAXSwagg

Amazing! Thank you, @TAHbKA! My favorite pair still...

Trankov is disgusting. He was hitting on Mukhortova to get her to leave her partner and skate with him? Then he got into physical fights with her as well? They were spitting on each other? The way he talks about Stolbova is unethical, even if you replace the word "bitchy". I wish I didn't read this interview, I had a better opinion about him.

Yagudin is probably worse. Don’t fix him pancakes!

MAXSwagg

"Probably" is the funniest word in your post. :)
(I guess you are sure you are right, when you say: "probably")

Well I don’t know how he is now. Maybe he’s more lenient about the quality of the pancakes now.

Daena

I am about to contact Merriam-Webster and recommend them to get rid of their article describing second meaning of the word "douchebag". Trankov's photo will do the job just fine.

canbelto

MT: We never did with Maria. I'll admit it was mainly my fault. When I decided I wanted to skate with Mukhortova my coach said `go get her yourself'. I haven't come up with anything better than hit on her, though I was in a serious relationship at that time. I used a moment when Maria had another physical fight with her than partner, approached her and was like `Why do you need him, he is such a bad guy, he just pushed you! Come skate with me instead!'. She saw my interest in her and agreed. I backed off once we started skating together. All my courtship ended at instance, despite leading her to believe we would be a pair off ice. It was very indecent of me. But I was young and stupid and didn't think of the consequences of my actions. and they came. We were two people lacking integrity and manners. It was my fault as well.

Jeez he sounds like such a prize. :rolleyes:

Bigbird

This last set of interviews with Russian skaters has felt like skating's version of the monkey's paw story, like "Oh you like it when Russian skaters/coaches are super honest, do you..."

Same old, same old. Hopefully this off season will pass quickly enough :(

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I am about to contact Merriam-Webster and recommend them to get rid of their article describing second meaning of the word "douchebag". Trankov's photo will do the job just fine.
It’s so strange it me how people read an interview where someone is admitting fault and showing honest self-awareness about his youth and come to the conclusion that he is a “douchebag.”

It’s almost as if people expect perfection. These same people act like they have lived perfect lives, that they have never erred or treated another person poorly. Trankov admits it and owns up to it. He paints his actions as wrong and admits fault.

I truly wonder if his critics dislike him because he has skills they don’t, that he’s able to better himself and they resent it. I guess it’s simply easier to judge and dislike someone’s behavior while ignoring signs of their growth and maturity.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
We listened to George Carlin's operation foole this weekend, and he said only men can be scumbags and only women can be douchebags. So there's that...

hanca

Values her privacy
It’s so strange it me how people read an interview where someone is admitting fault and showing honest self-awareness about his youth and come to the conclusion that he is a “douchebag.”

It’s almost as if people expect perfection. These same people act like they have lived perfect lives, that they have never erred or treated another person poorly. Trankov admits it and owns up to it. He paints his actions as wrong and admits fault.

I truly wonder if his critics dislike him because he has skills they don’t, that he’s able to better himself and they resent it. I guess it’s simply easier to judge and dislike someone’s behavior while ignoring signs of their growth and maturity.
This! I think everyone has an event (or events) in their lives where, if being absolutely honest, they could have behaved differently, perhaps behave better...nobody is perfect and on reflection, maybe they would choose to do things differently if they could turn back time. But they can’t. Nobody can. But only some people have the courage to admit they made a mistake, and describe their past (embarrassing) actions to media, even when they don’t have to. Even if they are ashamed of their past behaviour. Knowing that that the public may judge them, call them names...

I admire his honesty. He didn’t have to share that. I don’t think he deserves to be called a douchebag.

canbelto

There's also something called discretion and respecting someone's privacy. He had no right to put Maria's business out there like that, even if he really dislikes her. Compare his oversharing answers with Tatiana's and there's a world of difference. Tatiana respects her past partners enough to keep their business their business.

Daena

Nah. He sounds smug and dismissive. And yes, I read it in Russian.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
This last set of interviews with Russian skaters has felt like skating's version of the monkey's paw story, like "Oh you like it when Russian skaters/coaches are super honest, do you..."
The recent set was Trankov and Zhiganshin. Beats me where on earth was Zhiganshin disrespectful/horrible etc, imho it was a super politically correct interview. Trankov was just being Trankov.
There are plenty of vanilla interviews in Russian with `I skated really well, I want to thank my coaches'. Whats' the point translating them? We all know they skated really well and want to thank their coaches.

Not beating or not verbally abusing the partner is perfection? Your standards are rather low, I think.
Several other skaters have the same-ish skills (Marinin, Tikhonov, Dmitriev, Smirnov and so much more) yet they are not known for beating/verbally abusing their partners.

mjb52

The recent set was Trankov and Zhiganshin. Beats me where on earth was Zhiganshin disrespectful/horrible etc, imho it was a super politically correct interview. Trankov was just being Trankov.

I was thinking of Yagudin actually, I wasn't referring to your translations specifically (I don't remember off-hand where Yagudin's comments came from).

I love Russian skating and I generally love the honesty of Russian interviews (for example, I find Mozer hilarious although I know she is too much for others here), but Trankov and Yagudin this time around were a bit much even for me. And Yagudin is someone I've been a fan of since he was like 15!

And of course I know there is no "Russian" this or "Russian" that, exactly, all of these interviews involve individuals with their own individual idiosyncracies - my original comment was slightly tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

babayaga

Nah. He sounds smug and dismissive. And yes, I read it in Russian.
That's what I felt too. I obviously didn't hear the interview to judge the tone of his voice, but reading it felt like he was more bragging about his past rather than being remorseful or something. Things he said could be humiliating for Mukhortova, but this thought didn't even cross Trankov's mind when he opened his mouth.

canbelto

Is the Yagudin interview the one where he described his extremely, uh, structured parenting style and said that ice dancers and pair skaters are singles rejects?

One thing that is missing from this Trankov interview is self-awareness of WHY his relationship with Maria was so toxic. In past interviews he's always blamed her. But if he got her to switch partners under the guise of having romantic feelings for her, and (let's face it) probably had a sexual relationship with her, and then dropped her like a hot potato once they were officially partners, is it any surprise that their relationship in practice soured? And he seems to like Tatiana mainly for the fact that she is sweet and agreeable.

There are a lot of "candid" Russian interviews where there isn't as much oversharing. Tamara Moskvina always gives good interviews but she takes care never to resort to low blows and cheap shots.

SamuraiK

Damn, the interviewer didn't need to even ask. Trankov was spilling and spilling !!! :D

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Is the Yagudin interview the one where he described his extremely, uh, structured parenting style and said that ice dancers and pair skaters are singles rejects?

One thing that is missing from this Trankov interview is self-awareness of WHY his relationship with Maria was so toxic. In past interviews he's always blamed her. But if he got her to switch partners under the guise of having romantic feelings for her, and (let's face it) probably had a sexual relationship with her, and then dropped her like a hot potato once they were officially partners, is it any surprise that their relationship in practice soured? And he seems to like Tatiana mainly for the fact that she is sweet and agreeable.

There are a lot of "candid" Russian interviews where there isn't as much oversharing. Tamara Moskvina always gives good interviews but she takes care never to resort to low blows and cheap shots.
:lol: I guess you missed the whole part where she and the coach were romantically involved. I don't think she was pining over Max.

Mad for Skating

I’m late to the party here, but I have a lot of thoughts on this interview.

Tatiana is, as always, a classy queen. She sounds like a smart, caring woman; it’s impossible not to love her.

I appreciate honest people, and some of Max’s comments are actually very interesting. But some of the things he said were simply rude and unnecessary. A few examples:

1. Pretending to be interested in Mukhortova just so she would skate with him? I’m glad he at least acknowledged it was wrong, but he should’ve just kept that story to himself. I’m sure Maria doesn’t appreciate having their dirty laundry aired out to the press. Some stories are just not meant to be shared, although they’re very entertaining for the skating fans.

2. Bringing up Stolbova/Klimov was completely unnecessary. If Fedor really had a problem with Ksenia’s personality and wanted the press to know about it, he would’ve told them himself. Also, I find it ironic that Max criticizes her for her hot temper when he clearly is not a calm person himself. I wonder if Max would be this outspoken about Ksenia’s attitude if she was a man; would he still call her “bitchy”, or would she be just a regular “hot-tempered Russian man” to him?

3. I really don’t think he should’ve commented on the Mariah/Eunsoo situation. No one knows what exactly happened there, and he shouldn’t just dismiss Eunsoo’s claim so easily. I’m not saying Mariah did it, but just because she looks like a “darling” doesn’t mean she didn’t do it. Unless Max can read Mariah’s mind and determine her motives, he shouldn’t open up his mouth about it.

I do still like and respect them as skaters though. Also, the horrible comments from people towards a literal BABY make me sick.

Rina RUS

:) It seems everyone forgive Volosozhar who slapped Trankov in the face - I mean everyone absolutely don't notice this case and just say she is classy, caring and etc. Actually, I agree, that she is nice.
Yet... does it mean, that NOT only Russians think, that a girl beating a man can be right (while a man beating a girl is always wrong)?
I agree, that it is good, yet anyway it means we are stricter to men than to girls. :)

I wonder if Max would be this outspoken about Ksenia’s attitude if she was a man; would he still call her “bitchy”, or would she be just a regular “hot-tempered Russian man” to him?
I think he wouldn't use the same word in Russian, because this word supposes, that we speak about a woman. It is not always a "hot-tempered" woman, but a woman who uses all the ways to do something bad or to get what she needs (for example, uses her beauty, her cleverness). A woman who knows (for example), that people forgive women fighting with men, because women are weak, - and uses this situation. In short... this word is about those ways which women use.
As for a man... a Russian word "scandalist" can be easily used for a man. In short, it is possible to find a word. :)

By the way, Trankov tried to speak not about Stolbova, but about calm Klimov who anyway irritated his partner with his calmness. I think sometimes Trankov tries to say something good, but... he doesn't manage to speak only about the good side. :)

I’m not saying Mariah did it, but just because she looks like a “darling” doesn’t mean she didn’t do it. Unless Max can read Mariah’s mind and determine her motives, he shouldn’t open up his mouth about it.
He means Mariah's nature. He says: "a God's dandelion". It means she is so quiet, that she would not hurt a fly. This is his opinion. He has a right to think, that somebody isn't able to hurt another person on purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information