Interview with Elena Ilinykh

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Vasili Konov's interview with Elena Ilinykh for ria.ru

VK: I recall you telling me about soon becoming a parent. You just learned that and your eyes were shining more than after the Gold in Sochi!
EI: Well, it was because I was talking to you. I was really happy. You can't imagine! I had my fears. I wanted a child and was afraid that something might go wrong because of the sport and the stress. I thought 25y.o. is a great age to become a mother for the first time. Thank god all went well, the fears remained just that- fears and having a child with Sergey is a real miracle I can't describe with the words. At this point in life it's my biggest victory. We did not tell many people except for the relatives, we were trying to keep it private till the end. Hence we took time revealing Mir was born.

VK: Are you ready to repeat? Have another one?
EI: Right now? Don't know, I was so happy when it happened. And of course am ready for such a happiness again, children are from the god, whatever it will give us will happen. But I'm ready.

VK: So Mir has a Russian and the US passport and I heard that Sergey wanted to consider Ukranian and Serbian as well?
EI: We submitted the papers for the Ukranian, waiting to receive it. Serbian - yes, we'll do that.

VK: Mir (=world in Russian) is a citizen of the world?
EI: Yes, 100%! We were laughing that his name demands. I was talking to my mom yesterday and she said `I read in his eyes he should study in Moscow stat university of the international relationships' I said `Well, we have everything set'.

VK: Wait, MSUIR? You said Mir has the right legs for the ballet!
EI: That's right, he does. And hands. And think he will be quite a creative person, but Sergey and I tend to think two artists in the family are enough. Really we'll think about it, listen to him and see how he develops. Of course he is a smart kid. He understands, feels and develops really fast. I will try, like my mom in the past not to miss the moment when it will become clear what is the right direction for him that he will be interested in,

VK: The most popular question when the child is born: who he resembles more?
EI: Frankly, it's rather unclear. When he was just born he resembled no one. Then at some point he was a spitting image of Sergey, then of me, then we found some Sergey's father's features, then my mom came to visit and he was an image of my mother when she was a child. She said `I'll show you some childhood photos and you won't believe how much he resembles me'. Now I look at him and think he resembles me. And yet his eyes and forehead are Sergey's.

VK: Did you baptize him?
EI: Not yet. We planned before the 'rona, but now wee are waiting.

VK: You gave birth in Miami. Why have you decided to go to the USA?
EI: When it became clear I'll give birth at the winter we decided to travel where it would be better for the child, where I would not have to wear all the heavy gear to walk out when heavily pregnant. We were thinking about the climate - sun, sea, sand, vitamins. The other reason was to let the child decide where he wants to live, travel freely. It's important because Sergey and I have a busy schedule with our performances, the academy etc. You just think sometimes `I have no time to issue the visa' - all the offices and visa centres.. If there is a way to let the child skip those problems why not use it. Now he can travel with us without any bureaucracy.

VK: Your thing with the ballet began long before Sergey when you and Nikita Katsalapov were working on `Don Quixote' your dress was made by the Bolshoi theatre.
EI: Right.

VK: Could you think back then that it's the beginning of your ballet story which will bring you to Sergey and to the ballet stage after your skating career?
EI: Of course not. Though the ballet was a always a part of my life, not just the costume. I always loved watching the ballet, attended all the shows I could and was watching the lifts, the characters, even the costumes. Yet I never heard about the dancer Sergey Polunin.

VK: How come? You attended the Bolshoi...
EI: Well, Sergey was not dancing in Bolshoi.

VK: What do you mean? He was in `Giselle' in Zakharov's production!
EI: I didn't know the dancer Polunin! Perhaps he was dancing there, but I never saw him. I only knew the ladies' names, frankly, I hardly knew a thing about the guys. I never heard about Sergey, but it turned out later I had some of his photos from the `Spartacus' on my phone! I had a habit keeping the photos of the costumes or the lifts that impressed me. Hence I came to the `Spartacus' in Munich where Sergey was dancing, and later we took out our phones and figured I had those photos. A fate.

VK: Ok, so if you and Dmitrii Soloviev to restart the skating career we know what one of the programmes will be.
EI: When we were thinking about skating together we had a slightly different long programme in mind.

VK: Well, that can be fixed. `Spartacus' only!
EI: We'll see. It's not only my decision, but Dmitrii's as well. I think we'll have to compromise.

VK: Dmitrii will decide on the SD and you on `Spartacus'.
EI: Well, if that's the way.

VK: So there is a chance to go back to the skating career?
EI: As for the career it's rather hard for me to understand and realize right now. Indeed Dmitrii and I had a conversation and talked about it. When we started skating together Ekaterina Bobrova was pregnant at the moment, she came to our first practice and showed me the elements, the parts of the programmes that they were preparing, for which am so grateful! We worked on a programme they already had ready for the show. Katia taught me how to do it. She was quite deeply pregnant and said after the practice `that's it, I'm off to the maternity leave, it's your turn now'.

VK: Did you get to touch her belly?
EI: Yes, she let me.

VK: Ok, so she just passed you that
EI: I guess. At that moment I had something flipping in my head. There was that feeling `wow, so cool, there is another life inside there!'. Dmitrii and I did well in the shows. It's interesting we quite matched in our set of mind, the feeling on the ice, we spoke a lot and understood we have a chance to do in the competitive skating what we couldn't in our previous careers and that we have to keep on. We decided to start working seriously after the shows. The plan was to finish the shows,then I had a scheduled training camp with Yulia Lipnitskaya...

VK: With the skating academy?
EI: Yes, we had a training camp in Mexico and at that point I started talking a lot to Sergey and we understand that this is it. This is the man I was always waiting for. Sergey said the moment he saw me he knew we would be together. IT was the same for me. It was the first time in my life I felt so loved that I overlooked everything, understood that sports and medals - it's all quite cool, but I already had all that but was never happy with a man. I had so many examples in front of me of people who let the career go, even though they were quite successful and devoted themselves to the families. They are now in their 70s, they are so happy together, with their children, grandchildren, still in love. I thought: why don't I have that? Here is this man who I want to build all that with! It's as rare as winning the Olympics to meet the right person and not lose them.

VK: So what is that kind of love? What have you seen in Sergey that you haven't seen in anyone else before?
EI: I think when you start understanding what love is it's no longer love. I can't explain it, it's part of me.

VK: Sergey is an example of a bad boy, at least in the showbiz world that he is a part of. The tattoos, Putin on his chest, his sometimes really awkward behaviour. Did it scare you the first time you met him?
EI: Not at all. It's all I ever wanted - to find that bad boy and have cool times with him. Now every opportunity I get I try to explain it's just a show. Sergey is not the person the media made him.

VK: I.e. it's just a role?
IE: It's not even a role. What is there? The tattoos? I have some as well.

VK: I do too.
IE: Someone thinks that because of the stuff that happened to him when he was young and it's wow, oh so bad. See, I never judged anyone. Sometimes I heard people bashing the someone and later learned that person was nothing like I was told. It's the same here. I never read about the person, I can't decide on the person till I meet them. When I saw Sergey - so sincere, open, kind, such a nice guy I understood he has all the right male qualities in him. It's not my first impression - we already have a child together, but each day I am in ave of his qualities. I really am annoyed and angry when someone speaks ill of him, because it's not what he is like.

VK: What is he like? In one sentence?
EI: The most loved.

VK: That's a lot.
EI: He is very sincere, very kind, well mannered, he has his male qualities, kind of a gentleman. He doesn't need to be mean or horrible to people. He has an inner spine, an inner intelligence.

VK: Do you remember his first present?
EI: Yes.

VK: What was it?
EI: The tiniest cactus! It's smaller than my nail. The smallest in the world. When I was going to meet him in Munich I was all nerves. I wrote a message that am already on the plane and afraid to meet you, that am so nervious. He replied - am nervous as well, but don't worry because I bought you a cactus. I always wanted a cactus.

VK: So those were his first flowers?
EI: And the last.

VK: Seriously? No more flowers?
EI: Well, Sergey doesn't like the flower sets, he says its' the death for the flowers, a bad sign, that flowers arrangements are a bad thing. So I was given that tiny cactus in a tiny box. Seriously! I now had to move it into a bigger one - we still keep hoping it will grow. It's so small and vulnerable.

VK: I see. I was certain you were born in Moscow, imagine my surprise...
EI: And you expect us to be friends!

VK: Say that in Kazakh and I will be shamed!
EI: I won't. Indeed I was born in Aktau, but I don't speak the language. Again, Sergey was born near the sea, I was born near the Caspian sea and we were sure our child should be born near the water. I am a water person and it's important for me.

VK: I had no idea about Kazakhstan. Have you been there after?
EI: Of course. My dad lives there, the fraternal grandparents. I came to Aktau, which is now called Nur Sultan. The city changed so much. I was told how it was built and I loved it there.

VK: You could have been Elena Ilinykh from Kazakhstan. for now the only skater known from Kazakhstan is Elizabeth Tursynbaeva.
EI: She is a nice talented girl. It's flattering that in Kazakhstan they write that yes, I represent Russia, but it's our local girl, born in Kazakhstan. Father sends me the newspapers that say that Kazakhstan is proud of me, they consider me local. It's important and nice for me.

VK: Were you thinking of going together with Yulia to Nur Sultan and doing something there?
EI: I came there for a master class, with a charity and master class for the kids. It went great, the kids were great, we then had some negotiations, but they are more into the hokey there and we had some ice problems. But I hope we'll go there again. I would love to.

VK: Do you know how to say `World' (Mir) in Kazakh?
EI: Nope.

VK: Another thing that was news for me is that, apparently, you skated with Ivan Bukin?
EI: Let me erase that rumour which I have no idea where it came from. It's an imaginary story. I started dancing with Nikita Katsalapov. We were in Dubinskaya's group as single skaters. Single skaters, not a pair! There are even our skates on youtube. Later our mothers decided to pairs us up and move to Lobacheva/Averbukh's school. We were the first pupils there. And the first day Nikita dropped me from the lift and I had a huge blue eye. After that we became a dance pair and started working. We skated in that school for a while and switched to Zhulin. We were competing, skated for a year and then we parted our ways for a short while.

VK: And you left to the USA to Zueva/Shpilbandt.
EI: Right, after the first break up I went to the USA. But before I moved there were two months that I was still in Moscow. And that's when it's rumoured I was skating with Bukin. No, I was not! I was skating without a partner, we were searching for one. We tried out with Ivan. In my books to team up is at least compete once together. I will tell you more: Bukin and I never even had a programme choreographed. We tried skating together, we tried doing some moves. Again, it was just a try out for a couple of months. There were no talks about the partnership! First his dad coached us a bit, then we were taken to Svinin/Zhuk group, but I remember that I was not taken seriously. They had a good group and I was unnoticed. I was burning inside and needed the attention. At that point Shpilbandt and Zueva invited me. I don't remember how it really happened, but I was taken to the USA. Ivan and I never competed together. And then I read that someone is mad at me for dumping Ivan while we could had been.... Nothing, we couldn't had been! I was explicitly explained that I don't suit Ivan as a partner! No problem.

VK: You went to Zueva/Shpilbandt and ended up in the ice skating paradise: the best thing before the coming of Papadakis/Cizeron was there. So you came and...
EI: And wow! They had Shibs, the little kids who later... Belbin/Aghosto, who were the most senior in that generation. Then Davis/White, Tessa and Scott, Chock was there. Everything that developed later was there. It was quite an experience and even now it's hard to explain.

VK: Out of this earth level?
EI: It was a real system. Guess it's wrong revealing some inner secrets, but Marina and Igor together were unreal.

VK: What did they have that we lacked?
EI: Most importantly - a good competition: everyone were set to work, to win, everyone were competing every day. There was no lack of discipline, which, I think, is there in the Russian skaters. People payed for a 45mins session, and going on that 45mins practice you gave it all as if your life depended on that. Since they pay for their practices themselves they know what it means - every minute they spend on the ice. It's the every day hard work which in the end gave the results. Hence there were such great athletes.

VK: One of the most asked questions: Are Ilinykh and Katsalapov speaking to each other?
EI: Not really, because our lives are completely different. But we are in good terms, we congratulate each other. Viktoria congratulated me when my child was born. People invented some conflicts between us and each sees whatever they want to see. It's not our problem really. It's yet another good example about Sergey - when he is presented in a certain way everyone believes that thats the way he is. In real life he's the opposite. It's the same here: everyone has a point of view on us, but it's not what it really is.
I really cheer for Nikita- for him an Viktoria out of our teams. We are not at war. I have no idea where it came from. No one ever said a bad word about the other. Again, am so grateful to Nikita for becoming an Olympic team champions and Olympic bronze medalist. I can't hold grunge against him because we got together to the most important achievements - the gold and the bronze. At that point that was my main life achievement.
Nikita took a different path, and now has a different goal, which he set with a new team. I have a different goal, a different path. I was never mad with Nikita. Perhaps I had my inner female pain, but it's my problem, not ours. And not the problem of people to discuss. I guess only those who spread the rumours have a problem.

VK: Can Nikita and Viktoria become the world champions?
EI: I think if there is a team in Russia who can it would be Nikita and Viktoria. They already beat the French at the Europeans. But I think they lack some kind of a chance-taking - for now they are in their safe zone. But they are on the level where they can dare showing a wow programme, something super new and super interesting. But in the mean while you know how it is - we have the world standings, and all that: the French always win and in order to beat the unbeatable you have to do something extra, something no one expects. Vika and Nikita have what it takes, but for now the French are unbeatable.

VK: Figure skating goes through the hard times now - the worlds are cancelled, hence the end of the season is smeared. The next season everyone will become a year older which might influence the ladies. What do you think would be the right thing to do - cancelling the wolds altogether or drag it till the last moment and allow the last chance in, say, October-November?
EI: The whole season is scheduled and we all have goals. And then again, wait till the last moment and not have a chance to choreograph the new programmes? What's the point? Skating the same programmes two World championships is weird. I think in the given situation it was the right decision, even if it was a painful one. But think it's the same for all: the shows are cancelled, the tours, a lot of things. We have to focus on staying safe and healthy, only then think of the performances.

VK: You began your career as a single skater. Imagine you were in Tutberidze's group - do you think you would have succeeded?
EI: I think so. Yulia Lipnitskaya and I were once watching my childhood videos and she was joking just as well that I went to the ice dance, otherwise we would be competing with each other in Sochi. She said my 2A technique was quite cool for that age. Of course the level now is much higher, but I always loved the singles skating. I like the strict approach, it's exactly what I needed. Hence if I were in Tutberidze's group am sure I would be good.

VK: Who among Tutberidze's pupils is your favourite?
EI: Trusova. Am a fan.

VK: Why?
EI: I don't know, but she is so cool. I just love what she does. I always root for her. All the girls are great skaters, but I really like Sasha for some reason. They are so amazing, but you know, when you become a silly fan - the others stand no chance. So my favourite among them is Sasha. She reminds me in a way of Yulia Lipnitskaya. Am a long time Lipnitskaya fan and still rewatch her skates. Sasha reminds me of Yulia

VK: Yulia is still doing your academy, right?
EI: Right, she went without me when I was in my last months of pregnancy to the training camps, even though I traveled till the 7th month. I had a small belly and we hid it, I think, quite well, I was feeling well, hence I traveled with the academy. We then decided Yulia and the guys will travel to Japan without me. I think they had another camp after, but after I gave birth the 'rona came and we can't plan anything for now. But we'll continue working for sure

VK: I recall two weeks after giving birth to Mir you said you need to come back with Dmitrii Soloviev.

VK: Then you spoke to Sergey and he convinced you you soudln't.
EI: He didn't so much convince me - Sergey supports me in all my decisions and does not stop my development, quite the opposite, he is trying to make sure I develop without depending on him, but I have to decide. It's a puzzle in my head that has to come together. But my thoughts are elsewhere. For now it's the way it is, but I have that inner feeling - hell, why not? There are no limits.

VK: Well, why not: knowing how goal set you are and your goals are the highest means if you come back its' for the Olympics. Of course China is too close, i.e. it's for the 2026. How old will you and Dima be in 2026?
EI: I was always bad in math. But I see what the figure skating lacks and I want to fix it.

VK: So there is nothing impossible?
EI: Am sure there isn't. If I decide to come back, if I accept that challenge or just something will switch in my head - there are no limits. It means I will go back on the ice and work as hard as always

VK: Well, great, I really hope you have that switch and we'll see yuo on the ice. And I really hope Johan will create a duo for you and Sergey. I think Kobborg is the ideal person for you.
EI: It will all come. Of course, if figure skating does not kill it.

VK: So for now while there is no ice there is the floor? You wake up and have a dancing class with Sergey?

VK: And then the breastfeeding?
EI: Yes, I breastfeed, hence first Mir wakes up, then I do, feed him, if I manage to put him to sleep I have a dance class. If I don't - I give him to my mom for an hour and then do the dance class. Then we have a walk and then the talks, the discussions of the new projects, Sergey's foundations, Yulia's and my academy, then another feeding, more walking, the bath, the kid's stuff and then some more business, then a movie and back to sleep.

VK: And that movie Sergey plays his best role?
EI: His best role is being a husband and a father

Spun Silver

So the possibility of Ilinykh/Soloviev is still alive!

Nice description of the Canton environment when Marina and Igor were still together.

Is it possible a little of this interview is missing, after the story of the tiny cactus? The text seems to jump there.

Thank you for the translation, @TAHbKA.

starrynight

EI: Yes, we had a training camp in Mexico and at that point I started talking a lot to Sergey and we understand that this is it. This is the man I was always waiting for. Sergey said the moment he saw me he knew we would be together. IT was the same for me. It was the first time in my life I felt so loved that I overlooked everything, understood that sports and medals - it's all quite cool, but I already had all that but was never happy with a man. I had so many examples in front of me of people who let the career go, even though they were quite successful and devoted themselves to the families. They are now in their 70s, they are so happy together, with their children, grandchildren, still in love. I thought: why don't I have that? Here is this man who I want to build all that with! It's as rare as winning the Olympics to meet the right person and not lose them.

Elena doesn't need to choose between a career for herself and a partner and a baby. I'm sure that once her baby is old enough for day care etc that she can return to coaching and her masterclasses.

Certainly Polunin has been up and down and all over the place in the past. Impulsive. I'm not sure how I feel about Elena dropping everything in her career and life for him.

Bigbird

Elena doesn't need to choose between a career for herself and a partner and a baby. I'm sure that once her baby is old enough for day care etc that she can return to coaching and her masterclasses.

Certainly Polunin has been up and down and all over the place in the past. Impulsive. I'm not sure how I feel about Elena dropping everything in her career and life for him.

IMHO she's not dropping everything for him, she's building a family. Everything will fall into place in due time. She's only 26 yrs old.

hanca

Values her privacy

Isn’t it quite normal, that if on of the people in relationship has a job that keeps moving, the partner and children follow? For example, many soldiers have to frequently relocate, sometimes are even sent abroad and family often goes too. (Wasn’t Ashley Wagner born in Germany, where her father was stationed?) Plenty of other jobs include moving and relocating family. Why would it be any different for Elena and Polunin?

Bellanca

EI: Well, Sergey doesn't like the flower sets, he says its' the death for the flowers, a bad sign, that flowers arrangements are a bad thing. So I was given that tiny cactus in a tiny box. Seriously! I now had to move it into a bigger one - we still keep hoping it will grow. It's so small and vulnerable.
Because nothing says love quite like a cactus.🌵 This is brilliant - could totally reshape our Valentine’s Day traditions. 😍 I’m game.

skategal

Bunny mama
I think when you have already accomplished so much in your life and so many of your goals, it’s not really dropping your whole life for someone when you settled down and start a family.

I imagine the it is difficult to find the motivation to start a whole new partnership from scratch when you already have Olympic medals.

becca

I think when you have already accomplished so much in your life and so many of your goals, it’s not really dropping your whole life for someone when you settled down and start a family.

I imagine the it is difficult to find the motivation to start a whole new partnership from scratch when you already have Olympic medals.

I agree. And from the interview it doesn’t sound like her partner is insisting she do that either.

There is a huge difference between someone doing that because they want to versus a partner insisting on it.

Her child is also super young and she is getting to be with her child and spend some time in the youngest years.

As for her partner he may be bad boy but I do know his ex girlfriend Natalia Osipova has said in person he is a great guy.

Personally if an ex can say that about you it does say something.

Last edited:

starrynight

I just struggle to process some of the really negative things Polunin has said. And those tattoos... But then again the appeal of 'bad boys' is really lost on me.

But he does seem like Elena's type from what she has said.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Polunin may be a bit crazy, it often happens that talented people also have a bit of insanity within them.

He has said a lot less crazy or questionable things since he's been with Elena, though. Maybe, these two were just a match made in heaven and everyone involved got exactly what they needed or were hoping for.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I don't think of Russia as a completely free society. So a Russian public figure whose very into Putin, to me that's different from an American public figure whose very into Trump.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I think Elena is the type that gets bored staying too long doing one thing and likes moving around from place to place, working with new coaches and people. It's probably for the best that her one serious partnership lasted one quad. I can see her following Polunin around travelling for his different projects, and it's not like he doesn't include her in them, so it's a good lifestyle for her.

I really agree with what she said about Viktoria and Nikita... looking for them to break through with a standout program. I believe her rooting for them is genuine.

starrynight

He’s Ukrainian, which would be like a Mexican getting a Trump tattoo.

Yeah it’s just there for the shock value.

I actually don’t know how a ballet dancer can have tattoos like that because they sure don’t match the themes and costuming of a lot of ballets. Often the male dancers are shirtless in some ballets. Maybe they just make Polunin wear a top.

Tinami Amori

-
Polunin and his tattoos..
-Elena is not the only one who likes "bad boys". Polunin too, admires bad boys.. He has tatoos of Eraser Head, The Joker, among small ones there are a series of slash-like scars to left and right, a howling wolf, the Grim Reaper, a circle of swastika-like symbols on his stomach and “I am not a Human” inscribed along his waistline.
- In one interview there are some explanations of his perception of himself and what role he sometimes chooses to play in society and with society.
- Part of the reason he got Putin tattoo is idealism (he also tattooed a Ukrainian flag trident symbol, he believed he can promote a unification/alliance between Russia, Ukraine and United Kingdom. Second - he later got mad at Ukrainian Government for taking away his birth citizenship, and that's another story - he believed that ART forms and artists should have no borders, he went on performance tour, and one of the locations was Crimea, after it was returned to Russia in 2014. Ukrainian Government took away his passport, and ridiculously declared him "terrorist" and "war criminal".

I hate tattoos, would not have a friend with any such, let alone a male companion... But my concern with Polunin are not the tattoos.... It's the amount of recreational drugs he consumed during fairly recent (~5-6 yrs) segment of his life. It's not a problem if one sniffs 2-3 lines at a party, maybe 3-4 time a year, or takes ecstasy before going to a disco, it is a huge problem when one takes bags and bags of such drugs, and for nearly every occasion... :D

I sincerely hope none of "it" affected the newborn... or will manifest itself in the future.

Maybe they just make Polunin wear a top.
:D https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Si8q7GLbcTI/hqdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

starrynight

I hate tattoos, would not have a friend with any such, let alone a male companion... But my concern with Polunin are not the tattoos.... It's the amount of recreational drugs he consumed during fairly recent (~5-6 yrs) segment of his life. It's not a problem if one sniffs 2-3 lines at a party, maybe 3-4 time a year, or takes ecstasy before going to a disco, it is a huge problem when one takes bags and bags of such drugs, and for nearly every occasion... :D

Well yes. And this is what makes me hold my breath when I see Elena dropping everything in the hopes of creating a perfect stable family life with such an individual. Maybe some women believe they can cure men of such tendencies, but he is so impulsive and unstable across all areas of his life, that he's not exactly a poor individual who accidentally lapsed into a bad habit. I think I'm cynical, but a baby doesn't change some men overnight. In the end, the poor mothers are just left holding the world together.

Tinami Amori

Well yes. And this is what makes me hold my breath when I see Elena dropping everything in the hopes of creating a perfect stable family life with such an individual. Maybe some women believe they can cure men of such tendencies, but he is so impulsive and unstable across all areas of his life, that he's not exactly a poor individual who accidentally lapsed into a bad habit. I think I'm cynical, but a baby doesn't change some men overnight. In the end, the poor mothers are just left holding the world together.
I am leaning towards you lines of thinking (except for an idea that it is poor mothers who are holding the world together :) ) A baby and a new love hypothetically can change a person. Yet Polunin is a self-indulgent bohemian.. which also hypothetically could mean that "once the flame of novelty is extinguished" all that follows "is beyond his control" and he'd rather be "chasing the ones who run away" ( (c) Les Liaisons dangereuses)

This guy makes a candidate for a great affair.. He is busy and has money, a woman is busy and has money, and they meet for late dinner in a suite at Danieli's in Venice... wearing masques. Or they arrange a randevu in the dungeons of Le Mont-Saint-Michel... and spend 2-3 days together, and off again globetrotting on their own business.

Holding a serious relationship with the likes of Polunin is...... a challenge for both, a man and a woman... :D

For Elena's sake and child's hope we are wrong in our "dark predictions"... Best of luck to both of them.

becca

My understanding is he was born in Ukraine and sees himself as Russian part of the problem in Ukraine.

I actually think a woman should have some career goals and prospects. You don’t know what could happen . And especially if they are not married (are they?). The not married then would especially concern me.

However in fairness I imagine she can go back to coaching. And ice dancers can have longer careers. Plus she hasn’t had a top partnership in awhile it’s not like she’s giving up a for sure Olympic medal. In fairness to him she said he wants her to be independent. So he is not pushing the stay at home thing.

Regretla

Maybe she's not really that different than he is. I can say I admire Polunin for his raw talent, but not for the way he treats his own talent.She gives me the impression of the wandering artist kind of person too, easily bored, with a lot of ideas which she doesn't always put into practice efficiently.At least this interview gave me such vibes. Maybe they are a perfect match after all. I hope things turn out well for both of them.
But the tattoos scare me big time.

starrynight

She gives me the impression of the wandering artist kind of person too, easily bored, with a lot of ideas which she doesn't always put into practice efficiently

Gosh your comment reminds me of when immediately after Sochi, we all thought I/K were going to be the next huge thing. In an alternative universe I do wonder what could have been.

Bigbird

Whoa, I just realized something. Is she married or is she hinting at an upcoming event? This girl can keep a secret like no other. :watch:

zebraswan

Does it really matter if she marries him? For what? They only knew each other a few months, max, when she got pregnant. And it was all right after his very bad PR phase. Very odd timing. Two impulsive people making impulsive decisions...well, good luck. If they make it to their 5th year anniversary I'll be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information