Interview with David Wilson

Spun Silver

Oh lovely. I will watch later tonight. I am turning into a huge Ted Flatt fan (already yours, @Karpenko) and would love to hear how he worked with Javy, Patrick and others. Just the thing for the looooong off-season. :)

Spun Silver

Hmm, not so crazy about this one. Ted spent a lot of time trying to get a scoop about next season's programs which David didnt want to and wasnt ready to give. I wanted to hear about Patrick's programs and how they worked together this past season, and maybe some tidbits about Kathy. :) There was just a minute on that kind of thing at the end, but that wasnt enough. Not a word about that glorious Chopin free skate. David was super articulate but didnt really get the questions to open up. Sorry, Ted. I still have faith in you (and you have a great profile :) ).

I'm sure there is lots of good stuff to come. Ready for part 2.

Spun Silver

Beautiful, beautiful clips of D/L. I loved what little I saw of them before they retired but I wasnt quite into ice dance yet. Will definitely have to rewatch.

Will there be more of this interview? Hope so.

Spun Silver

David Wilson is very circumspect -- he obviously had strong feelings about Sasha that he was trying his hardest not to let out. I imagine in private he tells the story hilariously. Anyway, officially, he found her skating exquisitely beautiful and found her to be very involved, even controlling, in the choreography to the point of limiting the amount of choreography there was. Doesnt sound like she was the most rewarding skater to work with. I will have to rewatch Romeo and Juliet because it seemed more substantial than he makes it sound. In general, Sasha was notable for performing IMO -- skating *programs* ,not just one element after another with background music. But this is definitely something to keep in mind when I rewatch her.

Great work, Karpenko!

feraina

David Wilson is such a sweetheart. Very interesting what he said about Sasha's way of performing her "tricks." I guess her technique was such that she had to always use her most reliable entry/exit to things, in order to ensure the greatest chance of success. I don't think her problems were just mental. Probably her program content was just at the very limit of what she could do. So under competitive pressure, there was always a slight chance each element could go wrong, which by itself was nothing, but cumulative it meant something always went wrong. It's too bad. She was such an exquisite skater, I would've loved to see her walk away with more titles.

I wish he were asked about the Chinese pair-swapping incident. Would love to hear what he has to say -- even if I'm sure he'd put the most positive spin on it (that he can).

barbarafan

David Wilson is such a sweetheart. Very interesting what he said about Sasha's way of performing her "tricks." I guess her technique was such that she had to always use her most reliable entry/exit to things, in order to ensure the greatest chance of success. I don't think her problems were just mental. Probably her program content was just at the very limit of what she could do. So under competitive pressure, there was always a slight chance each element could go wrong, which by itself was nothing, but cumulative it meant something always went wrong. It's too bad. She was such an exquisite skater, I would've loved to see her walk away with more titles.

I wish he were asked about the Chinese pair-swapping incident. Would love to hear what he has to say -- even if I'm sure he'd put the most positive spin on it (that he can).

He does seem to be a sweetheart but he also seems to have a very strong sense of truth and right and wrong. For that reason i kinda doubt he would give positive hypocritical feedback- but rather would say he cannot discuss the situation. If any interviewer asks to talk with him he may even tell them before they start that the Chinese pair teams are off limits. I do wonder though if he might do certain adjustments in the programs than what he initially was going to do (but would never admit to) but I do not mean he would ever give anyone a bad program ..they will all be beautiful but maybe one will go further in the message. this is just my thoughts..not insider info....I do not know the man except for what I have read and his interviews and from that have total respect for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information