Infant travel to Canada- no passport

Skittl1321

We are US citizens going to Canada when my baby is 8 weeks old. We have decided to drive, because while the time frames to get the passport -in theory- work, if the birth certificate is delayed, then we won't be able to get a passport on time. (And we have to send off the birth certificate to get the passport, so if we do that, then don't receive it, we have no birth certificate to use either...)

Resources tell me it is allowable to -drive- (not fly) to Canada with only a birth certificate for a child.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/724/~/children--travel-documents-for-infants

I'm finding the same information about Canadian border control on blogs and travel websites (that only a birth certificate is required) but I cannot find it on a government website.

Does anyone have recent experience crossing the border without a passport? Everything says this is allowed, but am I going to run into issues?

Last edited:

aliceanne

Can you call the Canadian consulate and ask if this policy exists, and if so where is it in writing?

skategal

Bunny mama
Can you call the Canadian consulate and ask if this policy exists, and if so where is it in writing?

This.

I think you would need to see this on a Canadian government website to be sure that it exists.

Then you can easily direct the Border Guard to their own policy if questioned.

RoseRed

This page from that link has the details you're looking for: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification.

The birth certificate should be fine. I've used mine to enter the US by car as a minor and had no issues. And according to the government website, it works the same for Americans entering Canada.

Skittl1321

I’m going to repost this because people seem to have missed it. This is a link for the Official Government of Canada website that has information for people wishing to enter Canada as visitors. If people click on the link they will see that all of the information is there and it is accurate and up to date.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html

I looked here before posting and couldn't find what I was looking for. All the minor cases were without both parents.

But thank you.

Skittl1321

This page from that link has the details you're looking for: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ivc-rnc-eng.html

The birth certificate should be fine. I've used mine to enter the US by car as a minor and had no issues. And according to the government website, it works the same for Americans entering Canada.
Thanks!

Interestingly that makes it sound like an adult could use a birth certificate to enter Canada, not just an infant.

You just can't reenter the US without a passport for an adult. Hmmm...that might be okay. Lol.

Japanfan

Interestingly that makes it sound like an adult could use a birth certificate to enter Canada, not just an infant.

Used to be that adults could cross the US-Canada border by car with just a birth certificate. IDK if that has since changed.

Skittl1321

Used to be that adults could cross the US-Canada border by car with just a birth certificate. IDK if that has since changed.
It has definitely changed getting back into the US. At minimum, adults need a passport card.

D

Deleted member 221

How critical is this trip? Is it for a once in a lifetime event?

I think you have time to get the passport. The past few people I’ve known to do this had birth certificate + passport in three to four weeks total. My Egyptian colleague, who did (legal) birth tourism in California, had her son’s passport and was back in Egypt seven days later. Two months is a good amount of leeway.

Could you try for the passport and then request a certified copy of the birth certificate as a backup?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Actually, do you need to worry both about getting into Canada and getting back into the States?

Skittl1321

How critical is this trip? Is it for a once in a lifetime event?

I think you have time to get the passport. The past few people I’ve known to do this had birth certificate + passport in three to four weeks total. My Egyptian colleague, who did (legal) birth tourism in California, had her son’s passport and was back in Egypt seven days later. Two months is a good amount of leeway.

Could you try for the passport and then request a certified copy of the birth certificate as a backup?

It's not critical, but we are meeting other family members there, and it would be extraordinarily disappointing to not be able to go (as they'd be out the money on the trip that they wanted to go on to see us...) Plus, we've already canceled this trip once, as 2 years ago my husband was hit by a car and we were unable to go due to his injuries.

It took us 2 weeks to get my daughter's birth certificate when she was born, and the state says 2-4 weeks. Then, the passport office says 4-6 weeks for an expedited passport by mail. (Then nearest passport office to us if 4 hours away, so we cannot do an in-person request.) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/hurry.html#expediteaf
So if everything goes well, we have the passport in time- but a slight delay, and then we don't.

We've thought about trying to get a 2nd copy of the birth certificate, and then sending the original off for the passport, and hoping it comes back in time, as I'd feel much better about the passport.

Skittl1321

Actually, do you need to worry both about getting into Canada and getting back into the States?
I am confident, based on the US customs and border patrol website that an infant can re-enter the US on just a birth certificate. So I only need to worry about getting into Canada with it.

mackiecat

children under 16 can enter via car only with a birth certificate. I Am assuming that both parents are going to be present

Skittl1321

children under 16 can enter via car only with a birth certificate. I Am assuming that both parents are going to be present
Yes, we are both going. I've read all the requirements for travel with just one parent.

(Oddly, I've traveled domestically with my daughter multiple times and never asked for any identification or note for her to be without her father. They are supposed to do it inter-state too, though obviously international trafficking is an even bigger problem)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information