In search of (more) interesting articles

MsZem

I see the sea
Fantastic storytelling:

Cachoo

Fantastic storytelling:
Stood in my yard and tried to imagine a natural, wind-driven fire that covers three acres per second....horrific.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is sad and enraging:
I hope at least it'll get Harvey Ellington, the student featured in this article, some financial support to pursue his dreams.

MsZem

I see the sea
I tried to find information about Dasani, who should be sixteen or so, but no luck. Hopefully she's found her way on life.

The author is supposed to be working on a book about child poverty that will include material about Dasani. However, she got that book contract at 3-4 years ago and I haven't found any evidence that the book was ever published.
The book will be published soon. If anyone is still curious, here's what happened to Dasani in the years since the publication of The Invisible Child:

Another article worth sharing:
Two kids, a loaded gun and the man who left a 4-year-old to die

(the child survived, but she has a long road ahead of her)

Last edited:

Husky

Yesterday, I read the protocols of a trial against a lesbian pair who supposedly tortured and killed a baby. These protocols contain so many details of erratic behaviour and the way abusive parents think that I thought this is an eyeopener. Bizarre to see how they were hiding what they were doing from social workers and family members, not wanting anyone to take away the kid because they "love" it. On the other hand proceeding to abuse it.

The fascinating thing in our digital time is that there is sometimes so much evidence such as written dialogues, pics, and videos from the culprits themselves that the ongoing abuse is very well documented. Whereas in former times it was hard to prove that the parents did hurt/neglect the child intentionally. Very often they got the benefit of the doubt.

Day 2
Day 3

mjb52

This article is about something that has multiple interpretations, negative and positive, but ends on a (very slightly) uplifting note: A ‘Killing Stone’ Broke in Japan. Is a Demon on the Loose?

Ok, that doesn't sound very potentially positive, so here is the subtitle too: "The rock appears in a famous legend starring a nine-tailed fox spirit. The question now is whether the fracture was a good or bad omen."

sk9tingfan

MsZem

I see the sea

Vagabond

Gifted article, link valid for two weeks.

A thought-provoking article about mental illness, social media, cults, and a triggers, which, in this case happened to be the pandemic but could easily have been something else.

Vagabond

A short interview with the Dean of Christ Church, Oxford. There is much to ponder here beyond what the headline suggests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information