In search of (more) interesting articles

MsZem

I see the sea
I love this.
“Who is the most universally known Black character of your lifetime? Off the top of your head. The Black Mickey Mouse. The Black Spiderman. Who immediately comes to mind?”

MsZem

I see the sea
Really important. Really depressing:

NYT piece on why Lisa Montgomery should not be executed. All the trigger warnings, which is why I'm not posting a link with a preview.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Here is another long but interesting ProPublica article focusing on black health issues, in this case, the question of why CV-19 has disproportionately affected black men. The article really goes into detail about how there is evidence that accumulated stress literally causes faster aging and other health problems for black people. I'm sure some of this info has been covered elsewhere, but the authors tell the story in a very clear, engaging way.

How CV-19 Hollowed Out a Generation of Young Black Men

mjb52

It's like a Canadian "Mixed-Up Brothers of Bogota"...

I'm not even done yet, but this article is absolutely insane. I've read the other article you reference I think, about the switched twins in Bogota, but this is 100x more out there.

A.H.Black

MsZem

I see the sea
Just a reminder that this thread is meant to focus on longform articles, not general news :)

Back in 2015, Prancer started "In Search of Interesting Articles", a thread for sharing longer articles on subjects other than politics. The original thread is in the archives, but since there are always interesting things to read, I thought I'd start a new one.

With that in mind, Hannah Dreier is still awesome, and this is so sad: 'ASSISTANCE NOT APPROVED’: Her home still wrecked months after a freak storm, an Iowa woman’s FEMA ordeal presages the turmoil ahead as climate disasters worsen

And from Outside:

MsZem

I see the sea
This year's Pulitzer Prize winners:

I'm pretty sure the only ones I've read are some of Ed Yong's articles, because everyone should read Ed Yong. The piece about Ahmaud Arbery sounds amazing but I just can't bring myself to read it, it's too sad.

ETA: the other feature writing winner is really good.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm pretty sure the only ones I've read are some of Ed Yong's articles, because everyone should read Ed Yong. The piece about Ahmaud Arbery sounds amazing but I just can't bring myself to read it, it's too sad.
I think about Ahmaud every time I go running by myself.

As a woman, I have been afraid while running. But I have never been hunted down like an animal so I can only imagine the fear he felt. For women, the fear is to be sexually assaulted and/or murdered so there is a different vibe to it (I imagine) but it's still a real fear, not our imagination.

People will give you all sorts of excuses for why being murdered while out running is your own fault and what you should do to prevent it. But never any suggestions for how to change society so these things just don't happen except as an infrequent aberration.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Dunning-Kruger effect is probably not real:

clairecloutier

Wow--this article is :eek: . It investigates what seem to be rapidly rising rates of early-onset colon cancer, in younger people generally, but most notably in younger black men, like Chadwick Boseman. Researchers have identified 200+ counties in the U.S. that appear to have a strong association with higher colon cancer rates (they don't know why). Boseman grew up in one of those counties.

The article says that one major medical advisory group in the U.S. is now recommending that people start colonoscopy screenings at age 45, rather than 50.

MsZem

I see the sea
This sounds fun, in an absolutely bonkers kind of way.

MsZem

I see the sea
This article has been getting a lot of attention, and deservedly so:

And don't miss the Philadelphia Inquirer article that's mentioned in it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And don't miss the Philadelphia Inquirer article that's mentioned in it.
Why not? I don't remember it as being a bad paper. It was kind of the paper of record in the area I grew up with similar to how the NYT and WaPo are treated now by lots of people.

MsZem

I see the sea
Why not? I don't remember it as being a bad paper. It was kind of the paper of record in the area I grew up with similar to how the NYT and WaPo are treated now by lots of people.
Don't miss = read that article too. It's linked in Jen Senior's piece, and it's best encountered as part of that narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information