In search of (more) interesting articles

MsZem

I see the sea
I would totally read this if I knew Yiddish:

clairecloutier

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I don't know about other parents but I specifically chose a neighborhood in my town that was both ethnically and economically diverse so my kids would grow up understanding their own privilege and be exposed to other ways of thinking about the world.

clairecloutier

I don't know about other parents but I specifically chose a neighborhood in my town that was both ethnically and economically diverse so my kids would grow up understanding their own privilege and be exposed to other ways of thinking about the world.

I think that's great! We live in a diverse small city, and at times we have contemplated moving in order to get into a "better" school district (ours has its issues), but around here all the "good" districts are the 80%+ white districts (funny how that happens), and I'm not all that thrilled at that prospect.

I originally saw this article on Facebook, where it was posted by an old high school classmate of mine. She and her husband are white, but their daughter is black (adopted). They recently made the decision to remove her from their local elementary school because there wasn't enough diversity. They have placed her in a school with more diversity, which seems to be working well so far.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's hard when you are a parent because of course, you want to honor your principles. But you also have to think about what is good for your own child. I ended up pulling both my kids out of public school when they were having problems. One of them ended up going back (with mixed results).

But it wasn't a case of wanting to go to some "better" school with better test scores and tons of STEM. They went to a small alternative school that wasn't even accredited. Unfortunately, it was also less diverse, probably because parents of color know their kids need the absolutely best credentials possible if they want to get into a good college.

MsZem

I see the sea
We have another moon! But sadly it's very small as well as temporary:

And again from The Atlantic, on a completely different note:

What happened on the Conception, where a fire killed 34 people a few months ago:

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I thought this was an interesting (and rather topical) interview. When I teach lit, I talk quite a bit about the influence of the black plague and tuberculosis on the literature of the time; students are always really taken aback by the beauty of TB thing, among other things.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think we can all use some interesting non-CV articles, so here are a few:

Ed Yong on giraffes:

Dan Barry on the last reporter for a small-town newspaper:

Andrew Bernstein writes to the driver who hit him and ran:

MacMadame

Doing all the things

MsZem

I see the sea
I spent a long time recently reading this from Tablet Magazine (I did know who Pechersky was, but not much beyond that). Very interesting:

On a much happier note:
There are so many articles for which I'd love to see a followup. Maybe none more so than Patrick Kingsley's A Refugee's Journey (even with a part 2).
I don't know if anyone other than me read A Refugee's Journey way back when, but Patrick Kingsley recently tweeted that Hashem and his family are all doing well in Sweden, where they were reunited in 2017 :) not every refugee story has a happy outcome, and I'm so glad that this one does.

mjb52

This article has its own thread elsewhere but seems to belong here too: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...se-niche-sports-ivy-league-admissions/616474/ - I've had it open in a tab for awhile but just now got around to reading it. It's a great article but it seemed so weird to me that the author didn't talk to any of the actual kids. It was long and my memory is fading but I don't recall seeing even a single quote from any of the athletes themselves. I just checked again and don't really see anything. The article has a pretty clear underlying message that this whole sporting subculture is really unhealthy for the kids but doesn't allow them to speak for themselves. Just seems strange to me.

Also, in searching for it to find the link again after prematurely closing the tab, I found a 16 post thread on how Tiffany Stiegler had finally found her niche in ice dancing and she and her partner might be a threat to Belbin & Agosto (also a very flash-in-the-pan rumor about her partnering with Tschernshyev?). Well hindsight is 20/20!

clairecloutier

For those interested in the history/Stalinist prison camps of far eastern Russia, here's an essay from the NYT about what it's like to visit the region today, and how it is changing:

Amazing photographs in this piece.

clairecloutier

So a couple months ago, the Washington Post published a really interesting series about how systemic racism affected George Floyd’s life. I had posted about in the Progressive thread (https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-progressive-thread.98646/page-37#post-5887316).

Now here’s an interview with Robert Samuels, who wrote an article in the series about George Floyd and the U.S. health care system. He talks about how he researched the article and tried to persuade people in Floyd’s life to talk with him for the story. It’s quite interesting and shows how much work goes into journalism like this!

Some here will remember that Robert is also a figure skating fan and has written some stories about skating.

😁

MsZem

I see the sea
Incredibly sad article about a football (UK version) crowd tragedy: https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...gotten-tragedy-ibrox-stadium-disaster-glasgow - I know about Hillsborough but was totally unfamiliar with this.
Likewise. What a horrible, sad story - and what a failure when it comes to learning from the "rehearsal". I can't imagine going through two of these things like the author did, or seeing Heysel and Hillsborough as a survivor of a similar disaster.

clairecloutier

This is so sad. It's failure on multiple, systemic levels.

Devastating story that exposes so many problems in our healthcare system. :cry: More great work from ProPublica, which also published an important story about high amputation rates among African-Americans with diabetes earlier this year.

I was also interested to read this because one of my husband's sisters has kidney failure, and we know very little about her long-term prognosis and options within the healthcare system. I'm going to ask my husband if he thinks it might be useful to share this article with her.

And, for those interested, here is another story about Russia, in this case, how climate change may affect the development of Siberia:

MsZem

I see the sea
Devastating story that exposes so many problems in our healthcare system. :cry: More great work from ProPublica, which also published an important story about high amputation rates among African-Americans with diabetes earlier this year.
Both articles were written by Lizzie Presser - clearly a journalist to keep an eye on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information