IN: Natalia Mishkuitonok interview

canbelto

One thing ... I remember the 1994 Olympics Katia looked so young and fresh and Natalia looked a bit sad and careworn. But now so many years later, ironically Natalia looks younger and better. Katia is still a beautiful woman but her makeup choices (dyed blond hair, frosted pink lipstick) don't flatter her.

Limonite

I remember the 1994 Olympics Katia looked so young and fresh and Natalia looked a bit sad and careworn.
This reminded me about what she said in the Hall of Fame Introduction interview, that back in the days she was always thinking certain things about her skating were bad, and not really happy about her performances most of the time. Still, I'm happy Natalia likes most of them now.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
One thing ... I remember the 1994 Olympics Katia looked so young and fresh and Natalia looked a bit sad and careworn. But now so many years later, ironically Natalia looks younger and better. Katia is still a beautiful woman but her makeup choices (dyed blond hair, frosted pink lipstick) don't flatter her.

There were pieces on this. I remember Verne's piece was about the weight Natalia had gained (but if you ask me she's fit and thin). And that Arthur had been dropping her in lifts. There were videos of him dropping her. There were several pieces of this "rocky" time for her of her sadness and depression.

There was plenty of coverage in this Olys about the weight Natalia had gained but honestly... I couldn't see it....

Limonite

There were pieces on this. I remember Verne's piece was about the weight Natalia had gained (but if you ask me she's fit and thin). And that Arthur had been dropping her in lifts. There were videos of him dropping her...
They talk about M&D's problems and Natalia's weight during the "Don Quixote" SP video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYehy9pTNOQ&t=363s

Btw, when I watch that video and the one from their LP, I have to stop before the marks are announced; I just can't stand watching the disappointment on their faces for those low scores. IMHO they were severely underscored in the 1994 Olympics :mad:.

Bellanca

Great interview with Natalia! She appears to be happy and at peace after much sadness and stress that hovered over her like a cloud for a period of time. It has been so long ago since she was on competitive ice. Time just slips away, but it is so great to see her flourish in her current environment and surroundings. I really had no idea what she had been up to until this interview. Good stuff!

Last edited:

barbarafan

They talk about M&D's problems and Natalia's weight during the "Don Quixote" SP video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYehy9pTNOQ&t=363s

Btw, when I watch that video and the one from their LP, I have to stop before the marks are announced; I just can't stand watching the disappointment on their faces for those low scores. IMHO they were severely underscored in the 1994 Olympics :mad:.

Scott Hamilton called her "big" in this video.

Perky Shae Lynn

There were pieces on this. I remember Verne's piece was about the weight Natalia had gained (but if you ask me she's fit and thin). And that Arthur had been dropping her in lifts. There were videos of him dropping her. There were several pieces of this "rocky" time for her of her sadness and depression.

There was plenty of coverage in this Olys about the weight Natalia had gained but honestly... I couldn't see it....
Makes me SOOO angry. Poor Natalia. She was growing into her adult body, and getting all this criticism for it.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^^ I never understood the weight gain critiques... She had a very normal / normal-thin body. Dont forget camera adds weight.

The short haircut perhaps changed her face but thats about all folks.

Unless they don't have a rib piercing the skin they are considered heavy. I just say "Hey, Artur, pump some more weight on bicep and shoulder days." Perhaps she didn't get heavy but you got weak. A dip in testosterone by 94? :eek:

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

Yes, so terribly sexist. Arthur the artiste didn't seem to be too fond of the gym. No wonder he is so out of shape these days, while Natalia has remained fit and youthful. The commentators should have just kept their mouths shut on the issue, or suggest that Artur perhaps could use some strength training. Not criticize Natalia for looking like a woman (and a very fit one).

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Yes, so terribly sexist. Arthur the artiste didn't seem to be too fond of the gym. No wonder he is so out of shape these days, while Natalia has remained fit and youthful. The commentators should have just kept their mouths shut on the issue, or suggest that Artur perhaps could use some strength training. Not criticize Natalia for looking like a woman (and a very fit one).

Kinda like the media was perhaps anointing them the Silver Medal Winners before the competition even started.

barbarafan

^^^^ I never understood the weight gain critiques... She had a very normal / normal-thin body. Dont forget camera adds weight.

The short haircut perhaps changed her face but thats about all folks.

Unless they don't have a rib piercing the skin they are considered heavy. I just say "Hey, Artur, pump some more weight on bicep and shoulder days." Perhaps she didn't get heavy but you got weak. A dip in testosterone by 94? :eek:

I agree...she looked healthy and normal...He prob. was slacking off in the gym because of their success.

nguyhm

I agree. I always thought Katia was one of the most beautiful lady in ice skating (if not the most beautiful skater during her time) but I was disappointed when I saw her with blond hair at this past Skate America (doing some commentating/interview for Ice Network). I prefer her with darker locks. Natalia's beauty was unique and "dreamy" despite her not being "lanky" although her skating was light and powerful at the same time. She was exceptional.

nguyhm

I heard that Artur was a heavy smoker and he tried to cut back while training for the 1994 Olympics. He might have had better stamina if he was not smoking.

Limonite

I heard that Artur was a heavy smoker and he tried to cut back while training for the 1994 Olympics. He might have had better stamina if he was not smoking.
He blamed the anxiety of being separated from his (then) wife and young son during tours for his smoking habit.

insideedgeua

I wonder who is coaching them then. Her partner, Daniel Tioumentsev has had two previous partners at Nationals, Sarah Burden and Sydney Flaum. Both of these pairs were coached by Dalilah.

Daniel was also living and training in Colorado Springs for at least a couple of years before that.

So has Natasha moved there to train with Dalilah or has Daniel moved to be coached by Natalia?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Here's the video of Natasha's first pair competition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkd3eWPolk

OMGGGG I am in LURVEEEEE

And Natalia posted it.

How cool is it that she is American and will compete for the US of A? OMG if she stays in it and ever gets assigned to Rostelecom I almost want to go LOL...

They didn't even seem like juvenile team but junior.

Id be curios to know too if Natalia has gone back to CS but I think she's probably still in TX.. but am curious..

Sylvia

TBD
So has Natasha moved there to train with Dalilah or has Daniel moved to be coached by Natalia?
Both are still competing in singles (Intermediate level) and I believe they currently split their time between CO & TX.

Thanks for sharing the link, @Limonite! I thought they were very good for a brand new team at the Juvenile level. :) For those interested, here are the required competition elements for a Juvenile Pairs free skate: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017-18 Pairs FS Chart.pdf

From the end of the 2015 IN article linked in the first post of this thread:
"I think she would like to do pairs because she's not afraid of things, but I don't know if I want her to do it," Mishkutenok said.
I assume proud mom/coach probably feels the same way. ;)

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Natalia is still in Texas. I found her as a coach for several Dr Pepper ice rinks in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
https://www.nhl.com/stars/starcenters/professional-skating-coaches#plano
I wish I knew when she teaches at the center near me so I can go watch but since she is giving private lessons, the center does not post her schedule.

Oh, Dear.. could you imagine holding Natalia's hand and being given a lesson by her? Im not one to lose it but I know myself, and I will lose my sh*t!

Throughout my whole lesson on the ice Id be like.. "And remember when you and Artur did the inverted death spiral at....", and "Remember when you were at Lillehammer and you and Artur......" "Do you want to go grab lunch after this?" LOL

There is a small chance I could get banned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information