Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

skatingguy

decently

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I would expect that Russian & Belarussian athletes will be back by next spring at the latest. Qualifying events for the next summer Olympics will start in earnest in the spring of 2023, and the IOC will want to give the athletes the opportunity to qualify, even as independent athletes, for the 2024 Olympics.
Which is bullshit. Keep them out from 2024 and 2026. Russia doesn't deserve another chance. They have demonstrated, repeatedly, that they are incapable of keeping politics out of sports; plus doping.

airgelaal

World once again will decide to be an idiots and believe in "good russians". What peace and friendship? Ask Ukrainian athletes how many of their russian colleagues have contacted them. And of those who contacted, most were only interested in the fact that they could not compete. These are the real values of Russian athletes.
And one more thing, what do they plan to do with those who actively support the war? Will ISU ban Plushenko? Or let him show off in K&C?

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
Not invading your neighbor and not having state-sponsored doping.

That would be great, but they have never been banned for state-sponsored doping. The IOC has proved they barely had the balls to ban them for war crimes for a few months. They don't have the balls to ban them for doping at all.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt:
United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee (USOPC) chair Susanne Lyons has said the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is discussing "whether there is a pathway" for the return of Russian athletes to international sport with National Olympic Committees (NOCs).
Athletes from Russia and its military ally Belarus have largely been barred from international sport, as recommended by the IOC, in response to the invasion of Ukraine. [...]
Lyons, who chairs the USOPC Board of Directors, said today however that a route for Russian athletes to return to international competition was being explored.
(CC: @Alilou) Thomas Bach was asked about the Russian ban on his visit to Italy yesterday - from the end of this AP article:
Bach was also asked about comments a day earlier by U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee chair Susanne Lyons, who said the IOC is discussing "whether there is a pathway" for the return of Russian and Belarusian athletes to international sports after the ban because of the invasion of Ukraine.
"It goes without saying that from the very first moment when we said we are in this dilemma, that we are looking for ways out of this dilemma," Bach said. "But this is about it. I cannot report any concrete steps or a deadline."
The longer Russian athletes stay banned from international competition, the more qualification events for the 2024 Paris Olympics will be missed.

Last edited:

Dobre

The evidence of war crimes is only getting worse. If/when Russian troops pull out of Ukraine, how much worse will be found?

It may be a while.

Sports & art (i.e. ballet), historically, seemed to me to be a rarity during the Cold War, in that they were one of the rare ways that people from the Soviet Union could come west for quite a while. Many other aspects of the Cold War lasted much longer. It would not surprise me if sports participation returns more quickly than other aspects of international collaboration.

But the images & news coming out of Izium are awful. Again. And we know things are worse in Mariupol and probably Kherson.

hoptoad

Well, it's the IOC's job to consider what a path back to participation would look like. That said, I can't see how they can allow Russia back while Russia is still using military force on Ukrainian soil. If they did, they'd be pretty much saying, "oops, the ban was wrong to begin with."

I wonder if Belarus might be allowed back sooner.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
"It goes without saying that from the very first moment when we said we are in this dilemma, that we are looking for ways out of this dilemma," Bach said. "But this is about it. I cannot report any concrete steps or a deadline."

To me this is a way to answer the question without actually saying anything.
I agree @hoptoad, I don't see how the IOC can backtrack as long as Russia is using military force in Ukraine.

skatingguy

decently

To me this is a way to answer the question without actually saying anything.
I agree @hoptoad, I don't see how the IOC can backtrack as long as Russia is using military force in Ukraine.
I disagree. How is the IOC in a dilemma in this situation unless they believe that their dilemma is to find a way to allow the Russians to compete in spite of actions of the Russian government, and military.

barbarafan

Excerpt:

(CC: @Alilou) Thomas Bach was asked about the Russian ban on his visit to Italy yesterday - from the end of this AP article:
I do not really understand his answer. Why would he be talking in any way shape or form of the ban ever being over when Russia has not stopped in any way this monstrous war and genocide on the Ukrainian country. When they are completely out of Ukraine by their decision to leave and all PPL guilty of war crimes are charged, arrested and trials underway and they have paid to rebuild Ukraine is the time to even consider opening any talks. Nothing has changed since Feb 24th....except for the number of rapes, torture and murders of the Ukrainian PPL and the good Russians who have protested the war.....or spoken up in any way.

barbarafan

I would expect that Russian & Belarussian athletes will be back by next spring at the latest. Qualifying events for the next summer Olympics will start in earnest in the spring of 2023, and the IOC will want to give the athletes the opportunity to qualify, even as independent athletes, for the 2024 Olympics.
WTF
How about replace Bach with someone who knows how to arrange making money. How about all things seized from Russia be liquidated into cash and IOC gets a nice slice of it. Use your heads people.

On My Own

The Olympics have always been about money. Better to not think anything is about any sort of "spirit" or remotely close to resembling common decency. It's just jargon they use for their scam.

Sylvia

TBD
"The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) are still monitoring testing operations in Russia ahead of the decision on whether to reinstate the country, despite complications caused by the Ukraine war, president Witold Banka said on Tuesday." (Reuters article):

Relevant excerpt below (I've posted the Valieva part in the GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...y-for-team-medals.109402/page-52#post-6299163)

The existing two-year ban from international sport imposed by WADA on Russia for widespread, state-sponsored infringements of doping regulations expires at the end of the year.

Some Russians have continued to compete internationally as “neutral” athletes, including at the last two Olympic Games, but the isolation of the country after the start of the war further complicated the process of ensuring doping compliance.

Banka, who reiterated WADA’s condemnation of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow calls a “special military operation”, said the organisation was still able to monitor the work of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA).

“We have an open line communication with RUSADA to make sure that the war is not a paradise for cheats,” the Pole told reporters at WADA’s Global Education Conference in Sydney.

“We monitor them closely to see what they are doing … we didn’t close this line of communication. “So what will be in the next weeks, months, due to the war and the situation in Ukraine, and the Russian situation, is hard to predict.

“We have to wait for the end of the year, we monitor what they are doing, let’s see in the next weeks or months what happens in terms of (readmitting) them to the system.”

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Thumbs down to the International Boxing Association:
Well, the President of the IBA is a Russian and they don't even run the Olympic competitions now, since the IOC stripped them of that right. This will, if anything, only further solidify the IOC's efforts to put Olympic boxing under the aegis of a new/different boxing federation. IBA is corrupt as hell.

airgelaal

For those who believe that russian athletes are silent because they do not support the war and are afraid to say so. No, they support the war. Since russian tennis players have not been banned from competing, they can openly state their position.
A big thread about russian tennis player Anastasia Gasanova
The story has a continuation. Ukrainian tennis player Dayana Yastremska spoke with Anastasia Gasanova and she personally repeated to her all the Russian propaganda that justifies the war

And you know what, now Dayana and her sister are obliged to play against a tennis player who supports the genocide of Ukrainians 🤬

barbarafan

"The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) are still monitoring testing operations in Russia ahead of the decision on whether to reinstate the country, despite complications caused by the Ukraine war, president Witold Banka said on Tuesday." (Reuters article):

Relevant excerpt below (I've posted the Valieva part in the GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...y-for-team-medals.109402/page-52#post-6299163)

The existing two-year ban from international sport imposed by WADA on Russia for widespread, state-sponsored infringements of doping regulations expires at the end of the year.

Some Russians have continued to compete internationally as “neutral” athletes, including at the last two Olympic Games, but the isolation of the country after the start of the war further complicated the process of ensuring doping compliance.

Banka, who reiterated WADA’s condemnation of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, which Moscow calls a “special military operation”, said the organisation was still able to monitor the work of the Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA).

“We have an open line communication with RUSADA to make sure that the war is not a paradise for cheats,” the Pole told reporters at WADA’s Global Education Conference in Sydney.

“We monitor them closely to see what they are doing … we didn’t close this line of communication. “So what will be in the next weeks, months, due to the war and the situation in Ukraine, and the Russian situation, is hard to predict.

“We have to wait for the end of the year, we monitor what they are doing, let’s see in the next weeks or months what happens in terms of (readmitting) them to the system.”
Shouldn't the time of the ban officially start after the Russians seize warmongering. They are trying to kill if possible all Ukrainians b4 the ban finishes and then prance onto centre ice throughout the world. Not a chance.! I think there are enough good PPL on the earth to make sure this does not happen.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Oleg Verniaiev calls for lifelong disqualification of Russians and Belarusians who support the war​

Okay, I watched that twice and nowhere does he say anything about a lifelong disqualification. He's calling for a boycott. Boycotts typically end at some point.

airgelaal

Okay, I watched that twice and nowhere does he say anything about a lifelong disqualification. He's calling for a boycott. Boycotts typically end at some point.
He said this in an interview for this project.

Russian gymnast Ivan Kulyak sealed the emblem on the form with the letter Z, which is why he was disqualified. I think that people should be removed from sports for such things.

All Russian and Belarusian athletes who support a full-scale invasion and the Kremlin's rhetoric should be banned for life.

And new video. Now it's from Olga Kharlan.

It is very difficult to hide your emotions when 53 rockets are directed at Mykolaiv the day before your competition. In fact, that's why you get results like this... You also have to wage war with your emotions. I am also fighting against allowing russians and belarusians to compete on international competitions... There are rumors that russian athletes will be allowed to compete. We are fighting to prevent this from happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information