Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I suspect Canada won’t issue Visas to Russians to come here but they haven’t said that yet.
Well, Synchro Worlds isn't for another 5 weeks - this might be all said and done by then, but, yes, I suspect you're right that they will refuse to issue visas to any Russians and Belarusian teams.

manhn

I didn’t realize that unvaccinated people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents could even come into Canada as long as they quarantine (and when did the ISU even have the money to fund peoples’ quarantines?).

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Legally I don’t think the ISU can bar the Russian Federation athletes from competing.

barbk

I could only find two ways to suspend an ISU member:
1. Failure to pay dues would result in suspension of membership from July 1st.
2. Allowing a skater to take part in official events when they are under suspension of the ISU.
I doubt the Swedish lab will be processing out-of-competition samples for Russian athetes right now. Is there a requirement for a certain amount of out-of-competition drug testing?

skatingguy

decently
I doubt the Swedish lab will be processing out-of-competition samples for Russian athetes right now. Is there a requirement for a certain amount of out-of-competition drug testing?
Not through the ISU, but through WADA but there are ways around it. For example, a country is responsible for testing not only its own athletes that train in the country out of competition, but also the athletes of other competitions, so in theory a country could reduce the number of times they have to test their own athletes by testing foreign athletes that train in the country.

Sylvia

TBD
The IOC EB is recommending International sports federations and event organizers not invite or allow the participation of any Russian or Belarusian athletes or officials in international competition.
Link to the press release: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-e...russian-and-belarusian-athletes-and-officials

ETA:

The decision opened the way for FIFA, the governing body of soccer, to exclude Russia from a World Cup qualifying playoff match on March 24. Poland has refused to play the scheduled game against Russia.
The Olympic body’s call also applied to athletes and official from Belarus, which has abetted Russia’s invasion by allowing its territory to be used to station troops and launch military attacks.
The IOC said it acted “with a heavy heart” but the impact of war on Ukrainian sports outweighed the potential damage done to athletes from Russia and Belarus.
It was not a total blanket ban by the IOC. Where exclusion was “not possible on short notice for organizational or legal reasons,” then teams from Russia and Belarus should compete as neutral athletes with no national flag, anthem or symbols, including at the upcoming Winter Paralympics in Beijing.
FIFA declined to ban Russia from the World Cup over the weekend. Instead, the soccer body said the country’s national team will have to compete as Football Union of Russia as punishment. Besides Poland, both Sweden and the Czech Republic, Russia’s next potential opponents, have said they would refuse to take the field against them.
“The Swedish Football Association is disappointed with FIFA’s decision but is determined to continue to work together with other federations to cancel Russia’s matches in the upcoming World Cup qualifiers,” the body said Monday, citing the “illegal and deeply unjust invasion of Ukraine.”
The World Cup is scheduled to begin on Nov. 21 in Qatar.
In hockey, the sport’s governing body has come under pressure from Finland and Switzerland to ban Russia and Belarus, which are both due to play at the world championships in May in Helsinki and Tampere.
Finnish Hockey Association chairman Harri Nummela said in a statement Monday it had talks with the Zurich-based IIHF to exclude the two countries from the sport internationally.

Last edited:

manhn

I will watch The World Cup, even though I never watch it. With Canada potentially in it, I probably would have watched it. But I will watch one full game that does not involve Canada.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Is there any reason, apart from the two ISU Championships taking place this week (World Speed Skating in Hamar NOR and World Jr Short Track in Gdansk POL), why the ISU "legally" or for "organizational reasons" can't ban Russian & Belarusian athletes from the rest of the World Championships on the slate for March & April?

March 3-6 - World Speed Skating - Hamar NOR
March 4-6 - World Jr Short Track - Gdansk POL
March 17-19 - World Jr Synchro - Innsbruck AUT
March 18-20 - World Short Track - Montreal CAN
March 21-27 - World Figure - Montpellier FRA
April 4-7 - World Synchro - Hamilton CAN
TBD - World Jr Figure

I know, the ISU is weasel-y as heck and will be entirely chicken about this but I can't see any reason why we fans can't harness the power of skating's social media voice to pressure them into banning those athletes.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
1996 Olympic champion in gymnastics, Liliya Podkopayeva, is calling for FIG to do more:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm torn. On one hand Putin apparently believes domination in sports by Russia is important to over all domination of the world (ie he rewards them for making Mother Russia on top).

On the other, are the athletes who have trained (cleanly) and live their sport. I'm thinking Tiff and Jon @taz'smum

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I'm torn. On one hand Putin apparently believes domination in sports by Russia is important to over all domination of the world (ie he rewards them for making Mother Russia on top).

On the other, are the athletes who have trained (cleanly) and live their sport. I'm thinking Tiff and Jon @taz'smum
Thank you for your support.😘

I think that all of the Russian athletes can kiss goodbye to their international sporting careers now. 😲
Tiff and Jon included 😪

hanca

Values her privacy
Thank you for your support.😘

I think that all of the Russian athletes can kiss goodbye to their international sporting careers now. 😲
Tiff and Jon included 😪
Did Tiffany and John plan to retire after this season? Are they still training?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

text_skate

bbc has summarized some reactions plus FIFA suspension of Russia (nothing official on FIFA website so far)

Manchester and Schalke ended their resp sonsorship deals with aeroflot and gazprom

Badminton's world governing body (BWF) responded to Russia's invasion of Ukraine by announcing the cancellation of all tournaments in Russia and Belarus in addition to banning the national flags and anthems of the two nations.
At the Fencing World Cup in Cairo on Sunday, Ukraine's men's foil team refused to fence against Russia.

Ukraine's Klod Younes told BBC Radio 5 Live that he and his team-mates now intend to return home and defend their country.

Sylvia

TBD
Copying out for those without an IG account:

The Austrian Figure Skating Federation – Skate Austria strongly condemns Russia's violation of international law through its attack on and invasion of Ukraine and the Ukrainian people. This must be condemned and sanctions have to follow, also in sports.

It is Skate Austria’s opinion that Russian and Belarusian athletes should not participate in international sport events outside Russia and Belarus, and that Russian and Belarusian sports leaders should be suspended from their international positions.

Skate Austria will not send any athletes or officials to events scheduled in Belarus and Russia.

Skate Austria will try its utmost to support especially the skating family in Ukraine.

#ukraine #westandwithukraine #stopwar #SkateAustria #FigureSkating

:respec:

UKR-born Olga Mikutina: https://www.instagram.com/p/CafTykQtZsu/
"Ukraine is supported all over the world! We are for peace!
#standwithukraine #stopwar #peaceinworld"

Last edited:

Elka

Also ice hockey is excluding Russia and Belarus. The decision should come later today.

I have been reading the Russian sport sites. What is interesting they are quoting the western sites and decisions. Calling "spade a spade/duck a duck". Meaning they are all telling that this is due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine. As: "The Russian invasion of Ukraine is a terrible situation and we in the hockey world fully support the people of Ukraine." Nothing about any "Special operation".

Sylvia

TBD
Is there any reason, apart from the two ISU Championships taking place this week (World Speed Skating in Hamar NOR and World Jr Short Track in Gdansk POL), why the ISU "legally" or for "organizational reasons" can't ban Russian & Belarusian athletes from the rest of the World Championships on the slate for March & April?

March 3-6 - World Speed Skating - Hamar NOR
Norway's Skating Federation issued a statement on their website on Feb. 26:

Machine translation:

The skating federation wants to ban Russian and Belarusian athletes
Written by Håkon Dahl • 26 February 2022

NSFs believe that Russian and Belarusian athletes should not participate in international sporting events outside Russia and Belarus.
The board of the Norwegian Skating Federation has today held an extraordinary board meeting to discuss the situation related to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and how this affects the World [Speed] Skating Championships in Norway, 3-6. March.

Russia's violations of international law and attacks on the Ukrainian people demand international condemnation and sanctions. Sport is not detached from it and can not relate passively to what is happening now.

It is therefore the NSF's clear opinion that Russian and Belarusian athletes should not participate in international sporting events outside Russia and Belarus, and that Russian and Belarusian sports leaders should be suspended from their international positions.

The Norwegian Skating Federation will follow this up with the International Skating Federation (ISU).

The Norwegian Skating Federation strongly condemns Russia's violation of international law through its attack on Ukraine and the Ukrainian people.

The Russian Skating Federation has informed NSF today that they will not participate in the Skating World Cup 3.-6. March.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information