Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Hopefully, Japanese fans (including the Fanyu) are cheering Ilia too! Hanyu started the pursuit and came close. ILIA DID IT! I’m still pinching myself. So glad that Peacock covered the competition.

Lake Placid had the honor to host. So much great skating history there. How about an Ilia Mural or statue???

Sylvia

TBD
Cross-posting these news links from GSD ("And The Quad Axel Pursuit Begins" thread):

From ISU - Ilia Malinin (USA) lands first quad Axel (Sept. 15): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...in-usa-lands-first-quad-axel?templateParam=15

Washington Post last night may have been the first major news source to have published something online? (September 14, 2022 at 11:29 p.m. EDT) - by Les Carpenter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2022/09/14/ilia-malinin-figure-skating-quad-axel/
Ilia Malinin, the 17-year-old figure skater from Vienna, Va., who has quickly captivated the sport with an array of seemingly effortless jumps, became the first skater to ever land a quadruple Axel in competition Wednesday night at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Lake Placid, N.Y.
Malinin, who had previously landed the elusive jump in practice, led with the quad Axel during his free skate routine, hitting it in a far corner of the ice. The sparse crowd in the nearly-empty arena immediately seemed to know what he had done and roared loudly as he completed the jump.
His performance Wednesday helped him get past a disappointing sixth-place finish in short program and win his season-opening event.

NBC Sports' Olympic Talk:

Associated Press:

Eurosport:

DreamSkates

Wow wow wow! So happy for him to add this to his technical arsenal. Even my husband who is not a figure skating fan, said WOW. Move over Hanyu and Chen. (yes I know Ilia has a ways to go...but I bet an Olympic Gold medal is already shining in his head).

Added: I looked up the points for a quad axle. Seems it is only a point or 2 up from a quad lutz? That doesn't seem like enough. And I have no idea what "enough" would be, just saying I was surprised it wasn't more.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Wow wow wow! So happy for him to add this to his technical arsenal. Even my husband who is not a figure skating fan, said WOW. Move over Hanyu and Chen. (yes I know Ilia has a ways to go...but I bet an Olympic Gold medal is already shining in his head).

Added: I looked up the points for a quad axle. Seems it is only a point or 2 up from a quad lutz? That doesn't seem like enough. And I have no idea what "enough" would be, just saying I was surprised it wasn't more.
It's been a complaint from people (many Fanyus but probably other people too) that the quad axel seemed undervalued compared other jumps for a while now. I tend to agree, but the ISU clearly doesn't care enough to change it.

Allskate

I actually quite like his performance ability
To me, his performance in the free program the other day looked like he was in practice. But he was trying to get the first quad axel under his belt. And I'm sure he was focused on not having a repeat of Worlds or his short program. And he's still getting comfortable with the program. I don't think this particular performance is an indication of what this program will look like later in the season. I'm sure his performance with this program will improve over the season. I think the last part with the footwork looks especially promising - 4 minute mark on video:

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ His quotes in the piece by Alice Park:
“I’ve always wanted to do it,” he says. “The mental side plays a huge role, because you have to fully commit to the takeoff—that’s the only way you will be able to rotate it fully.”
“Now that I’ve officially done [the quad Axel], I’m a lot more confident in trying new things.”
Interesting that Ilia was included in the ARTISTS, and not the PHENOMS, category: https://time.com/collection/time100-next-2022/

He will be featured on WUSA channel 9 news in the Washington, D.C. area later today (3A clip below):

ETA that the Fairfax County (VA) Public Schools website even published a quote from his high school principal on Sept. 16: https://www.fcps.edu/blog/marshall-senior-lands-first-quad-axel
“We are so very proud of Ilia! This is an incredible accomplishment,” says Jeffrey Litz, principal of Marshall. “It is amazing to me how Ilia can perform at such a high level while also balancing his schoolwork and social life. He is an incredible young man.”

Last edited:

DreamSkates

It's been a complaint from people (many Fanyus but probably other people too) that the quad axel seemed undervalued compared other jumps for a while now. I tend to agree, but the ISU clearly doesn't care enough to change it.
Maybe they are concerned that due to the exceptional difficulty there will be too many serious injuries (note emphasis on too many)?

D

Deleted member 221

If Malinin manages to deliver that technical content, he will start winning by record margins that could hold for generations.

If he starts delivering seven-quad programs, I imagine other federations will start lobbying to limit quads to five because that's the only way anyone else will have a chance.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If Malinin manages to deliver that technical content, he will start winning by record margins that could hold for generations.

If he starts delivering seven-quad programs, I imagine other federations will start lobbying to limit quads to five because that's the only way anyone else will have a chance.
Which would be just as ridiculous as the calls to eliminate quads from the women's FS. Heh - I can just see the USFS and FFKKR banding together to lobby against those sort of restrictions in the FS. ;)

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the U.S. Men's thread:
I did the math.

97.42 TES base value just on the jumps.

I believe by playing around with the elements just slightly, the max would be 99.52 if we assume the (one) quad Axel has to go in the non-bonus. Otherwise, a two-4A program with a second one occurring in combination in the second half is 100.62 base.

Yeah, he's basically at the max.
ETA: Malinin has yet to attempt 4F and 4Lo in competition (saw him land one of each jump in a Nationals practice in Nashville).

Last edited:

On My Own

I imagine he’s doing them all in practices as a test and to get into the heads of his competitors. That’s totally a Raf coaching move.
It's Japan Open though. (He wasn't coached by Raf at Nationals 2022, either, IIRC)

I think he'll probably go for this layout here, and then drop two-three quads for the rest of the season. Health is important, and there are 4 seasons to Milan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information