Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

livetoskate

There was a heartwarming moment after the medal ceremony when Sota Yamamoto helped Ilia hold up the American flag, and they posed for pictures like that. If anyone knows if Ilia will be competing this summer/fall at any local competitions, please post here. The DC area isn't too far from me, and it would be great to see him skate in person.

Sylvia

TBD
Woo-hoo, Ilia! :) 100.16 in SP for 4th place in his Worlds debut! He had 59.14 TES and all level 4 spins, L3 footwork. Jumps:
4Lz (11.50 BV + 4.11 GOE including one +5) = 15.61
4T+3T (13.70 BV + 2.58 GOE) = 16.28
3A (8.80 BV in 2nd half + 1.83 GOE) = 10.63

From the ISU's Quick Quotes document:

(on his performance today) I definitely felt relieved and excited that I’m here and representing Team USA. I definitely delivered it today and I hope to deliver it on Saturday for the long.
(on his parents coaching him) My mom gets nervous a lot so she didn’t really want to come (so as) not to get too nervous. But she’ll definitely be happy with this skate when I see her at the hotel. I get to choose who goes (with me) - usually it’s my dad because he calms me a lot and I feel a lot more relaxed when he’s there.
(on his quad Lutz today) I’d say that it was better than the one I did at (2022 U.S.) Nationals because I felt I had better air time, my landing was a lot cleaner, and I had a lot more speed coming out.
(on how many quads he is planning for FS): I have four quads planned: 1 Lutz, 2 toe loops and 1 Salchow.

Fiero425

I am! Crossing my fingers for an error-free SP that sets him up nicely for Worlds!

It did but didn't last! Wound up in 4th Place @ Worlds! I remember his mom being robbed at Worlds back in 1999! MK fell a couple times but put in 2nd place ahead of Malinina after the SP who skated relatively clean! :confused: :40beers::scream::rolleyes:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It did but didn't last! Wound up in 4th Place @ Worlds! I remember his mom being robbed at Worlds back in 1999! MK fell a couple times but put her in 2nd place ahead of Malinina after the SP who skated relatively clean! :confused: :40beers::scream::rolleyes:
Oh, come on, he's done very nicely for himself at Worlds - guaranteed two spots on the GP and he might even wind up seeded 1-6 if more than 2 of the skaters ahead of him retire (Kvitelashvili's already announced he's done, and who knows what Uno, Zhou or Tomono decide to do).

Sylvia

TBD
Congratulations to Ilia Malinin, 2022 WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPION! :cheer:

Ilia's SP video (88.99 - 3Lz+3T, 3F & 3A, L4 spins & steps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZDICeQVV4

His winning FS (ISU PBs of 187.12 & 276.11 total): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBhn_-_obk
His FS jumps: 4Lz (-0.82 was the only element with negative GOE), 4T, 3A, 4S / 4T+1Eu+3S, 3F+3T & 3Lz+3T.

From ISU's FS recap:

Performing to “Nobody Knows” by Autograft and “Golden Age” by Woodkid, Malinin reeled off a quad Lutz, quad toe, quad Salchow, triple Axel, quad toe-Euler-triple Salchow and two more triple-triple combinations as well as two level-four spins. The National silver medalist set a personal best with 187.12 points and racked up 276.11 points overall.

“I feel relieved that I finished the season really, really good and that I was able to skate a clean long. It makes me feel happy that I was able to put in the effort that I did today,“ the 17-year-old said.

“After the Junior Worlds that was held here a couple of years ago, I noticed that I needed to work a lot more on getting better jumping, and more skating quality, better spins and choreography overall.

“So the past few years we've been working on those the most and it definitely helped out in the long run,“ he explained. Malinin had finished 16th in his Junior World Championship debut in 2020 in Tallinn.

ETA link Hersh's article for NBC Sports:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
By Kalyn Kahler (his Junior Worlds videos are embedded):

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information