Ignore Function

antmanb

So I've noticed recently that when people quote someone I have on ignore the big box appears saying you are ignoring this content. I think most people preferred that, though personally I preferred that they disappeared and there was not temptation to click to see what has been said but...

When I click to view, rather than showing you that particular post it reveals all the posts by anyone you have on ignore not just that poster. Is this the way it's intended to function? I'd rather just that post be visible in the quote.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I’ve just had a word with Server Guy and he informed me it’s always been like this?

antmanb

I’ve just had a word with Server Guy and he informed me it’s always been like this?

Oh! I had no idea I thought when you clicked to see it just revealed the post and nothing else.

If you click now it takes you to the quote post.

No worries either way I just wondered.

MLIS

It hasn't, though. Since the ignore function has been introduced there have been three versions (I think).

1) If someone on your ignore list posted you saw that they had posted but there was a message that said something like "this poster is on your ignore list, click here to view the post" and you could click the link and it would reveal the post. If someone else quoted that poster you would see the quote box in their post with the same message about the poster being on your ignore list and you could click to reveal the post.

2) Up until quite recently if someone was on your ignore list they just didn't appear, at all. You couldn't see that they had posted, and you didn't see if someone else quoted them (which led to a lot of confusion sometimes if you didn't realize that the second person was replying to a post you couldn't see). There was a link at the bottom of the page saying "view ignored content" or something, and if you clicked that it would show you all the posts on that page from anyone on your ignore list. It also meant that you didn't see threads started by people on your ignore list, no matter who else was posting in those threads (which could be a bit frustrating).

3) Currently you don't see any indication that someone on your ignore list has posted, but if someone quotes them you see the quote box and the "this poster is on your ignore list" message with a link to click to reveal the message. As antmanb said, if you click the link now it takes you back to the original message (which you wouldn't have seen at first) instead of just showing you the quoted part in the other person's message, so it works more like the "show all ignored content" link at the bottom of the page.

Personally, I like the way it is now, because I think it eliminates the problem of people not realizing that a conversation is happening and thinking a post is directed at them or misplaced. But I did like option 2, too, because I have trouble resisting clicking on the link and then why bother having people on your ignore list if you're just going to do more work to read their posts anyway? :)

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I’ve never had anyone on ignore sorry so this is not a change I can really see.

But yeah @MLIS has it really, if you have someone on ignore then pretty much leave reading the post? :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
I like seeing who people are responding to rather than ghost conversations.

At some point a few years ago there was a switch to hiding ignored posters completely, which also meant that threads they started didn't display. For me seeing who is being quoted without seeing the actual posts is a happy medium.

Now if only it were possible to put threads on ignore...

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I don’t understand the drama either. I put the poster on ignore exactly because I don’t want to see their posts, I have no interest in what they post. I luurve ignore.

The only problem with that is if you have someone on ignore that started a thread. You won't be able to see the thread at all if you have the person that started it on ignore. That happened with me. It was the first time and last time I ever put anyone on ignore because of that reason.

ballettmaus

I agree with Zemgirl. I like that we can now see that a poster we have on ignore is quoted. Even if we don't know what the ignored poster says, it gives some context to a reply that might otherwise seem random.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
The only problem with that is if you have someone on ignore that started a thread. You won't be able to see the thread at all if you have the person that started it on ignore. That happened with me. It was the first time and last time I ever put anyone on ignore because of that reason.
If I have someone on ignore, I not interested in any thread they start, either.

MsZem

I see the sea
If I have someone on ignore, I not interested in any thread they start, either.
The same is not true for me. I put some people on ignore because their posting style is obnoxious. They may still be interested in things that interest me, and those who reply to such threads are not necessarily obnoxious ;)

As my desire to mute certain threads implies, I'd often rather ignore the content than the people.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
The same is not true for me. I put some people on ignore because their posting style is obnoxious. They may still be interested in things that interest me, and those who reply to such threads are not necessarily obnoxious ;)

As my desire to mute certain threads implies, I'd often rather ignore the content than the people.

Exactly. There was one thread for instance that used to be started again after it got up to 1000 posts. Sometimes, different members would start the new thread. I discovered I couldn't view the thread when I had actually 'ignored' the person that started the new thread. It was actually the first time I had ever ignored anyone.

In order to see that thread, I had to 'unignore' the person that started it where I could still post in it. It's a thread that was of interest to several members.

hanca

Values her privacy
Something weird is happening to my posts. I write something and what appears there is not quite what I wrote. If I push edit, I see what I originally wrote, but when I push save there is again the weird version. This happened to several posts of mine.

Ups, I think I wrote it in wrong thread.

Vagabond

Things are back to how they were before the upgrade, which is to say I don't have to be reminded on a constant basis that I am ignoring certain people. :cheer2:

Thank you, @SHARPIE and @Server Guy! (y)

ETA: It appears that there has been a partial fix, affecting some but not all posters on my list. Oh, well! I will take what I can get. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I’ve never a- put anyone on ignore so I don’t realise b- the ultra need to read an ignored person’s posts. 🙄

I have handed this to @Server Guy but really. WTF?
Well it becomes an issue only when someone quotes an ignored post....you have no context for the response.

MsZem

I see the sea
I've brought this up before, but I'm going to ask again just in case - would it be possible to make a change to the ignore function that would allow you to see threads started by people you have on ignore?

Sometimes I don't want to see the posts by the original poster, but I am interested in the subject of the thread. I've seen this issue mentioned by other FSUers.

@Server Guy

Lorac

I've brought this up before, but I'm going to ask again just in case - would it be possible to make a change to the ignore function that would allow you to see threads started by people you have on ignore?

Sometimes I don't want to see the posts by the original poster, but I am interested in the subject of the thread. I've seen this issue mentioned by other FSUers.

@Server Guy

I have found a way around this. Basically you need to 'Watch' the thread and then put the poster on ignore. You won't see the thread on your 'Watched Thread' list - but when someone other than the ignored poster post on the thread you get an alert so can go to read their posts on the thread but the ignored posters posts are all still ignored. Bliss :)

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
I have found a way around this. Basically you need to 'Watch' the thread and then put the poster on ignore. You won't see the thread on your 'Watched Thread' list - but when someone other than the ignored poster post on the thread you get an alert so can go to read their posts on the thread but the ignored posters posts are all still ignored. Bliss :)

You are a genius and have six months premium access on me as a thank you. 😍

Lorac

You are a genius and have six months premium access on me as a thank you. 😍

Thank you - I appreciate that. I did do some digging round the internet to figure it out - I was being driven mad by one poster and in this time of stress needed to make my reading of a certain thread more pleasurable!!

mag

Thank you - I appreciate that. I did do some digging round the internet to figure it out - I was being driven mad by one poster and in this time of stress needed to make my reading of a certain thread more pleasurable!!

I have been doing this for a while with one thread in particular. Makes for a much less stressful day! Works like a charm!

MLIS

Thank you! A million times over! (I think we’re probably using this solution for the same thread. :) )

MsZem

I see the sea
Thank you! A million times over! (I think we’re probably using this solution for the same thread. :) )
I suspect we are all thinking of the same thread. But so far this doesn't seem to be working for me - no alerts, and I know that there is new activity.

The solution is to get that thread to 1000 quickly and have someone else start the next one :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information