Happy St Patrick's Day

once_upon

Better off than 2020
A little history lesson on St Patrick's Day. The drunkenness was not so much a celebration, but began as a racial slur.

My Facebook post for today and PSA:

While celebrating the wearing of the green

Don't end the day with the wearing of the orange

Or worse yet ending in the morgue.

If you must drink the green beer or cheer on the blue, don't drink and drive

have fun celebrating the relaxation of Lenten rules regarding meat. Remember St Patrick came to Ireland as a slave. Was revered as the Patron Saint of Ireland. Remember the struggles of slaves and immigrants.

And you can have my share of corned beef and cabbage

PS - reference to Blue is my basketball team, Creighton Blue Jays and the NCAA March Madness

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
At brunch now ordering corned beef and later tonight celebrating (2 days late from the Ides of March) my beau's 71th!

Cachoo

Interesting article: I think Jeopardy should have a question about the location of the first St. Patrick’s Day parade in the US. I’m listening to the Pogues now. So good.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Went to see a school musical for St Patrick's Day but did go to the nice bar before--it is a holiday after all--and people kept coming up to me saying "you must be Irish!" One dude came up to me and said he knew I was Irish because I was wearing "the right shade of green." I was not aware there was a right shade of green. Now, I will admit because humble is not in my vocabulary, I looked damn cute yesterday. I am also a redhead. But I'm always kind of :confused: at the comments I invariably get because AFAIK, everyone in South Louisiana dresses up for St Patrick's Day--Fodor's once named New Orleans, not Chicago, not New York, as having THE BEST Irish parade--and most people here are French, Creole, West-African/Haitian, Vietnamese or Spanish in origin. Yes, I have red hair and freckles. I get snarky, petty glee from telling them nope, not even a little bit Irish or Scottish or Welsh or even English--the hair I'm pretty sure comes from the Finnish/western Russian side. They get all confused and just sort of blunder away. It's the cocksureness of oh, you're IRISH FOR REALS. First of all, I'm clearly a middle aged fluffy American. Secondly, why do people come up to strangers and assume family place of origin? Every year I get just a small taste of what it must feel like for Asians when someone says, but no, where are you from really.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I'll celebrate by drinking green tea (gotta work tonight, so no green beer or similar imbibing), learn how to swear in Gaelic while watching hockey (I'm Canadian), and sing along with this talented lady Endearing Young Charms (Yes, there is a lovely song behind all those Warner Brother Cartoon sight gags).

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Went to see a school musical for St Patrick's Day but did go to the nice bar before--it is a holiday after all--and people kept coming up to me saying "you must be Irish!" One dude came up to me and said he knew I was Irish because I was wearing "the right shade of green." I was not aware there was a right shade of green. Now, I will admit because humble is not in my vocabulary, I looked damn cute yesterday. I am also a redhead. But I'm always kind of :confused: at the comments I invariably get because AFAIK, everyone in South Louisiana dresses up for St Patrick's Day--Fodor's once named New Orleans, not Chicago, not New York, as having THE BEST Irish parade--and most people here are French, Creole, West-African/Haitian, Vietnamese or Spanish in origin. Yes, I have red hair and freckles. I get snarky, petty glee from telling them nope, not even a little bit Irish or Scottish or Welsh or even English--the hair I'm pretty sure comes from the Finnish/western Russian side. They get all confused and just sort of blunder away. It's the cocksureness of oh, you're IRISH FOR REALS. First of all, I'm clearly a middle aged fluffy American. Secondly, why do people come up to strangers and assume family place of origin? Every year I get just a small taste of what it must feel like for Asians when someone says, but no, where are you from really.
Redheads are really rare in Ireland (apparently there is actually a higher percentage in Scotland), although the town where I went to school used to host an Irish Redhead Convention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information