Grishuk & Platov - Polka OD music question

gk_891

A video of Grishuk & Platov's polka OD has recently surfaced on an amazing youtube channel by Mintaka Alnilam. It's from the 1991 NHK competition which was months before the Olympics and Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUHEkfRaWOg

I find it interesting that the music is completely different from the version they skated at the Olympics and Worlds which is below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AmWJ4aaDbg

First off, does anyone know what sort of music they're skating to in the first video? Is it polka music? If so, does anyone know what sort of polka music it is?

And does anyone know why they changed the music? I noticed at the NHK competition, some of the judges went down on the second set of marks which makes me think that maybe some of them thought that the music wasn't appropriate for the polka theme that season.

suki

Thanks for posting these gk_891. It makes me realize how much I miss the OD. The short dance concept just doesn't allow for enough creativity. Also, I couldn't take my eyes off Platov. What a dancer he was (and gorgeous to boot).

gk_891

Thanks for posting these gk_891. It makes me realize how much I miss the OD. The short dance concept just doesn't allow for enough creativity. Also, I couldn't take my eyes off Platov. What a dancer he was (and gorgeous to boot).

Yeah, Platov was gorgeous in so many ways. He was both aesthetically pleasing facially and he was a gorgeous ice dancer too with beautiful posture, extension, neck and shoulder line, edges, etc.

For some reason, the first version of their polka seemed kind of Celtic to me. Am I completely off on my assessment of their music?

I also miss the OD. I still watch G&P's quickstep and tango for my own enjoyment (and sometimes A&P's Jive and D&S Memories of a Grand Ballroom).

I actually miss the OSP even more, especially the ones skated by Klimova & Ponomarenko and Torvill & Dean. But I have to admit that when OSPs are not well choreographed, they can be awfully tedious.

gk_891

A/P My sweet and tender beast OD glorious :cheer2: Wish we cold go back to OD:(

Yeah, that was a great OD. Krylova & Ovsiannikov also had a very nice waltz too that season. It was a lot better than their nightmarish African Drums FD.

This isn't related to G&P or ice dance but the youtube channel by Mintaka Alnilam recently posted Midori Ito's SP from the 1991 NHK competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0GbYzcWao

Oh, if only she skated like that in Albertville!

sap5

I actually miss the OSP even more, especially the ones skated by Klimova & Ponomarenko and Torvill & Dean. But I have to admit that when OSPs are not well choreographed, they can be awfully tedious.

This. It's why I don't call for the return of the OSP, though it's the thing I love best.

gk_891

This. It's why I don't call for the return of the OSP, though it's the thing I love best.

The great thing about the OSP is that it really separated the best from the rest. But yeah, I guess the problem is that you end up with maybe just a couple of good dances in a given season with tedious/mediocre programs to wad through for everyone else.

barbarafan

The great thing about the OSP is that it really separated the best from the rest. But yeah, I guess the problem is that you end up with maybe just a couple of good dances in a given season with tedious/mediocre programs to wad through for everyone else.

What I liked best was the compulsory dance. There you could really tell who was best...When we had it V/M started out with a few pts lead..I miss it

gk_891

What I liked best was the compulsory dance. There you could really tell who was best...When we had it V/M started out with a few pts lead..I miss it

I also really loved the compulsories. My favourite was maybe the Golden Waltz. When it first became a compulsory dance, it was interesting to see how few teams could skate it well. So many teams were off on their timing and it was also common to see stumbles and even falls since the dance was so challenging in terms of content.

I also loved the Tango Romantica and Argentine Tango.

SamuraiK

MIntaka's youtube channel is indeed amazing. I guess she/he is japanese since all the videos are from japanese competitions or japanese HD broadcasts. Thanks to it I relived Nagano in all its glory.

gk_891

MIntaka's youtube channel is indeed amazing. I guess she/he is japanese since all the videos are from japanese competitions or japanese HD broadcasts. Thanks to it I relived Nagano in all its glory.

It's one of my favourite youtube channels. I not only relived Nagano but also Albertville and Lillehammer too. All in HD too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information