Goodtalk live (text) chat with Eric Radford, Ashley Wagner, Joe Johnson + link to transcript

Mad for Skating

That is ridiculous. There is no anti-Americanism or anti-North Americanism in this whole critique of ISU judging. I’m American, but my perception is that US fans are doing what many Americans always do, try to turn it around such that they are the “victims.” All of these criticisms of judging are coming from people who have always done it, for many different skater. Really overhyped by some US fans (on purpose?).

There is no Nathan or Vincent “hate campaigns.” It is not worse now than before. The only people who I’ve seen say these things are US fans. There are no “widespread attacks” an there’s people; I t’s jist a very, very small proportion of some “fans” making trolling comments that are not okay. Very isolated. Have some American fans gotten so swept up in political correctness that they think criticizing and analyzing the scores of a skater are “hate campaigns?”

Uh, what made you think this was directed at you?

You keep on doing you, but I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Sorry but I do not feel that the comments I've seen on Twitter lately amount to simply "a critique of ISU judging." LOL. I criticize ISU judging myself, so I know what that looks like. And what I've seen lately is not that. It's been in many cases a flat-out attack on U.S. skaters, the U.S. federation, or simply the U.S. itself. And yeah quite a bit of it has been pretty ugly and in some cases personal and hardly a considered, dispassionate criticism of the judging.

ETA: The tweets posted on the now-removed list are mostly from just the last day or two, since the U.S. won WTT, although a few go back further. And they're only the ones I've seen. There were more during/after Worlds, of a similar nature, including quite a few directed at Nathan. There was also, as I understand it, a pretty vicious response to a picture Nathan posted on Instagram (referred to by someone above), which drew enough nasty comments that Nathan's sister felt the need to jump in and defend Nathan, and I saw people commenting about it on Twitter.

I don't recall ever seeing this sort of general antipathy directed at the U.S. fed or skaters online. So yes I do think it's something new. My assumption is that some people were angered by the Coughlin case and USFSA's response or lack thereof to it, and may have been further angered by the Eunsoo/Mariah incident at Worlds, and/or Vincent's and Nathan's medals at Worlds, and the whole thing has now built to this point.

For me to use the term "hate campaign" was incorrect, because this has been not an organized campaign but more of a case of people encouraging each other on with these kinds of remarks. But what they're saying has been hateful, nonetheless. If you have an issue with the judging, then hate the judges or the ISU, not the skaters who are just trying to compete and do the best they can.

ETA: I removed the list because the people involved said on Twitter they considered it an honor. No need to add to their glory ....

Thank you for always being the voice of reason around here. I couldn’t have said it better myself. It’s gotten ridiculous and toxic, and I’m sick of it.

MAXSwagg

Uh, what made you think this was directed at you?

You keep on doing you, but I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Thank you for always being the voice of reason around here. I couldn’t have said it better myself. It’s gotten ridiculous and toxic, and I’m sick of it.

I never said it was directed at me. I only said all the histrionics by a lot of US fans is a joke. It’s not funny, it’s sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information