Goodtalk live (text) chat with Eric Radford, Ashley Wagner, Joe Johnson + link to transcript

Sylvia

TBD
Can also only see the last 20 minutes, would love to read the full transcript.
It's cumbersome but I can scroll up to the beginning of the chat on my laptop by clicking on the "Load earlier messages" button and using my up arrow key.

CaliSteve

That is out of line! One, calling someone mentally ill; and two, making fun of mental illness. Just wow.

It was a joke, but I really do believe some of these Fanyu have mental issues, not all.

To take the time on social media and attack and bully other skaters and fans tell me there is an in balance in their lives.

clairecloutier

Skating fans have been really out of control lately on social media. :( The reactions to things are irrational and out of proportion. There’s also been a social media hate campaign against Nathan and, to a lesser extent, Vincent for being allegedly overscored at Worlds (among other sins). Some fans who are angry about the American men’s medals and the Mariah/Eunsoo incident at Worlds are taking it a step further into general anti-Americanism. Or maybe anti-North Americanism, adding in this attack on Eric—the petition explicitly accuses him of pro-North American bias.

It’s all :(:scream::shuffle:

CaliSteve

Skating fans have been really out of control lately on social media. :( The reactions to things are irrational and out of proportion. There’s also been a social media hate campaign against Nathan and, to a lesser extent, Vincent for being allegedly overscored at Worlds (among other sins). Some fans who are angry about the American men’s medals and the Mariah/Eunsoo incident at Worlds are taking it a step further into general anti-Americanism. Or maybe anti-North Americanism, adding in this attack on Eric—the petition explicitly accuses him of pro-North American bias.

It's all so ridiculous. It's like some of these fans are projecting whatever issue they have in their lives onto skating results.

meer

The whole issue is so damn ridiculous. If want to know what corruption free judging without bias is to them, they also rescored Nathan's worlds score to be 75 points lower than what he got while Hanyu gains 5 or so points. So Nathan loses worlds by around 80 points. I mean, these people have clearly lost the plot.:slinkaway

CaliSteve

The whole issue is so damn ridiculous. If want to know what corruption free judging without bias is to them, they also rescored Nathan's worlds score to be 75 points lower than what he got while Hanyu gains 5 or so points. So Nathan loses worlds by around 80 points. I mean, these people have clearly lost the plot.:slinkaway

Talk about cooking the books.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Skating fans have been really out of control lately on social media. :( The reactions to things are irrational and out of proportion. There’s also been a social media hate campaign against Nathan and, to a lesser extent, Vincent for being allegedly overscored at Worlds (among other sins).

This makes no sense. If the rabid fans want to be angry about overscoring, they should be mad at the judges, not at the skaters.

MAXSwagg

Actually the supposed level of “hate” and reactions are blown out of proportion. Its not more than usual or worse than usual. A hate campaign? That is an overstatement. Any criticisms I’ve seen on social media (insta and Twitter) have 99% been about the judges not following the guidelines (that has gotten worse...not sure if it’s USFSA learning how to politik or what) and not skaters. I’m an active user of both and haven’t seen anything so terrible as what people are saying. :confused: I think people are just trying to make a drama in the coming off-season...

I just read through the transcript and some of the things Radford said are just odd...

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

This live chat has triggered a Change.org petition to have Eric Radford removed from the ISU commission.

Skating Twitter, you are much.

https://twitter.com/KingYuzu1/status/1114181342999326720
https://www.change.org/p/internatio...rnational-skating-union-s-athletes-commission

This made me so sick. Even if Eric’s wording could’ve been better, he is still a very competent person worthy of the Athletes Commission. And he even deleted the tweets in question afterwards.

Ugh, I agree so much with this. When I joined the fandom a few years ago, it was a happy and enjoyable place to be. But ever since Coughlin’s death and the Mariah/Eunsoo situation, it’s become an ugly place to be. I muted and unfollowed so many people over it. It sucks to lose friends over it, but I’m not going to change where I stand on these things.

What’s frustrating is that some (not all) of the people think they are doing the right thing, but taking it too far. It’s fair and correct to hold Coughlin accountable for his crimes. It’s not fair to stop supporting any skater who mourned his death. It’s okay to consider that Mariah might have attacked Eunsoo; it’s not okay to blatantly say she did until there’s been a proper investigation, and it’s not reasonable to expect the entire skating world to condemn Mariah based on suspicions.

I have personal reasons for disliking Vincent, and I do find him overscored in comparison to Nathan and Yuzuru, but he deserved his bronze medal fair and square.

Nathan 100% deserves his world title. I think Yuzuru is the better all-around skater, but he made a big mistake in the short program and Nathan didn’t. A champion like Yuzuru will both win and lose in his career, and it’s okay.

Really, targeting Eric, Ashley, and Joe seems like misguided anger. They were simply sharing their opinions, and whether we agree with them or not is our own business. I didn’t agree with 100% of what they said, but I don’t think it makes them bad people, and I’m not going to hate them forever because of it.

Figure skaters are real people - often very young people who have not had a typical life. They will say things and do things that we don’t like. If we cancel every skater for the slightest things, we are choosing to love only perfect people, and they don’t exist. I think many people love the Japanese skaters because they are “unproblematic”, but that’s because many of them don’t have Twitter accounts to tweet their opinions, or people love some of the Russian ladies because they are seemingly too young and innocent to cause a fuss.

Personally, I like skaters who are honest, who make mistakes, and who share their opinions. For me, they seem more personable, even if I don’t agree with everything they believe.

lurkz2

It's cumbersome but I can scroll up to the beginning of the chat on my laptop by clicking on the "Load earlier messages" button and using my up arrow key.

Thanks a lot the button finally worked, it was a lot easier to access on a cellphone.

CaliSteve

Actually the supposed level of “hate” and reactions are blown out of proportion. Its not more than usual or worse than usual. A hate campaign? That is an overstatement. Any criticisms I’ve seen on social media (insta and Twitter) have 99% been about the judges not following the guidelines (that has gotten worse...not sure if it’s USFSA learning how to politik or what) and not skaters. I’m an active user of both and haven’t seen anything so terrible as what people are saying. :confused: I think people are just trying to make a drama in the coming off-season...

I just read through the transcript and some of the things Radford said are just odd...

That's your opinion. The level of hate is bad, not sure if its any worse then the past, but its not good either way. It makes all Fanyus look bad, not good either.

I see two layers. 1) The haters, who attack or dig deep to find shit to stir up. Like Nathan posting a pic of himself, Michelle, and others with a pic of a couple of Goats. They comments from some were ridiculous. 2) You have fans who come off as the "voice of reason" and criticize the judges and PCS score for the sheer purpose of legitimize Nathan's win.

PCS scoring has ALWAYS been an issue. People seem to pick and choose when to complain. If any skater has been robbed of low PCS scores its Satoko.

MAXSwagg

That's your opinion. The level of hate is bad, not sure if its any worse then the past, but its not good either way. It makes all Fanyus look bad, not good either.

I see two layers. 1) The haters, who attack or dig deep to find shit to stir up. Like Nathan posting a pic of himself, Michelle, and others with a pic of a couple of Goats. They comments from some were ridiculous. 2) You have fans who come off as the "voice of reason" and criticize the judges and PCS score for the sheer purpose of legitimize Nathan's win.

PCS scoring has ALWAYS been an issue. People seem to pick and choose when to complain. If any skater has been robbed of low PCS scores its Satoko.

Ehh, I don’t think so. It’s just s few and US fans of course have a flair for the dramatics.

Every person I see (or at least the many that I follow) have complained ecumenically.

nathanfan

I have seen quite a lot of anti-Americanism from certain fans on twitter.

The criticism of Nathan has certainly gone beyond directing criticism towards the judges. Mocking Nathan (as well as Vincent), sarcastically calling him “a ballerina”, side by side video comparing Nathan’s Caravan to Yuzu’s Parisian Walkways, the ludicrous rescoring, condescending comments regarding Yale, outrage over WTT scores (and Yuzu wasn’t even competing there), etc. etc.

I do question the sanity of those who can devote so much time to negative comments/hating Nathan and creating videos to show his supposed inferiority to Yuzu whether it’s today or when they were both 19, among other things.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Look, there are over-the-top, unreasonable fans from all countries. There are Russian fans who will vehemently declare that Sinitsina/Katsalapov are better than Papadakis/Cizeron. There are Japanese fans who will swear that Miyahara is chronically robbed of GOE, even when her jumps do not get good height. There are American fans who will say that Bradie Tennell is on par with Zagitova.

But nationality doesn’t always equal support. I’ve seen Russians who hate Medvedeva with a burning passion, Japanese people who dislike Shoma, and plenty of Americans hating American skaters over the Coughlin situation.

However, I do think that at the moment, a disproportionate amount of hate has been directed at Americans in general. We’re viewed as a privileged society because we are blessed to live in a first-world country, but that also makes us targets for comments like “shut your privileged white mouths”. Can Americans be annoying? Sure. I know them and I am one. Are we evil? Most of us aren’t. The Trump presidency hasn’t helped our public image, IMO.

MAXSwagg

Look, there are over-the-top, unreasonable fans from all countries. There are Russian fans who will vehemently declare that Sinitsina/Katsalapov are better than Papadakis/Cizeron. There are Japanese fans who will swear that Miyahara is chronically robbed of GOE, even when her jumps do not get good height. There are American fans who will say that Bradie Tennell is on par with Zagitova.

But nationality doesn’t always equal support. I’ve seen Russians who hate Medvedeva with a burning passion, Japanese people who dislike Shoma, and plenty of Americans hating American skaters over the Coughlin situation.

However, I do think that at the moment, a disproportionate amount of hate has been directed at Americans in general. We’re viewed as a privileged society because we are blessed to live in a first-world country, but that also makes us targets for comments like “shut your privileged white mouths”. Can Americans be annoying? Sure. I know them and I am one. Are we evil? Most of us aren’t. The Trump presidency hasn’t helped our public image, IMO.

That is ridiculous. There is no anti-Americanism or anti-North Americanism in this whole critique of ISU judging. I’m American, but my perception is that US fans are doing what many Americans always do, try to turn it around such that they are the “victims.” All of these criticisms of judging are coming from people who have always done it, for many different skater. Really overhyped by some US fans (on purpose?).

There is no Nathan or Vincent “hate campaigns.” It is not worse now than before. The only people who I’ve seen say these things are US fans. There are no “widespread attacks” an there’s people; I t’s jist a very, very small proportion of some “fans” making trolling comments that are not okay. Very isolated. Have some American fans gotten so swept up in political correctness that they think criticizing and analyzing the scores of a skater are “hate campaigns?”

clairecloutier

Sorry but I do not feel that the comments I've seen on Twitter lately amount to simply "a critique of ISU judging." LOL. I criticize ISU judging myself, so I know what that looks like. And what I've seen lately is not that. It's been in many cases a flat-out attack on U.S. skaters, the U.S. federation, or simply the U.S. itself. And yeah quite a bit of it has been pretty ugly and in some cases personal and hardly a considered, dispassionate criticism of the judging.

ETA: The tweets posted on the now-removed list are mostly from just the last day or two, since the U.S. won WTT, although a few go back further. And they're only the ones I've seen. There were more during/after Worlds, of a similar nature, including quite a few directed at Nathan. There was also, as I understand it, a pretty vicious response to a picture Nathan posted on Instagram (referred to by someone above), which drew enough nasty comments that Nathan's sister felt the need to jump in and defend Nathan, and I saw people commenting about it on Twitter.

I don't recall ever seeing this sort of general antipathy directed at the U.S. fed or skaters online. So yes I do think it's something new. My assumption is that some people were angered by the Coughlin case and USFSA's response or lack thereof to it, and may have been further angered by the Eunsoo/Mariah incident at Worlds, and/or Vincent's and Nathan's medals at Worlds, and the whole thing has now built to this point.

For me to use the term "hate campaign" was incorrect, because this has been not an organized campaign but more of a case of people encouraging each other on with these kinds of remarks. But what they're saying has been hateful, nonetheless. If you have an issue with the judging, then hate the judges or the ISU, not the skaters who are just trying to compete and do the best they can.

ETA: I removed the list because the people involved said on Twitter they considered it an honor. No need to add to their glory ....

Last edited:

wickedwitch

Meh. This isn't anything worse than what the scariest Yuna or V/M fans have done. It's really nothing new. It's nothing good, but it's nothing new.

CaliSteve

That is ridiculous. There is no anti-Americanism or anti-North Americanism in this whole critique of ISU judging. I’m American, but my perception is that US fans are doing what many Americans always do, try to turn it around such that they are the “victims.” All of these criticisms of judging are coming from people who have always done it, for many different skater. Really overhyped by some US fans (on purpose?).

There is no Nathan or Vincent “hate campaigns.” It is not worse now than before. The only people who I’ve seen say these things are US fans. There are no “widespread attacks” an there’s people; I t’s jist a very, very small proportion of some “fans” making trolling comments that are not okay. Very isolated. Have some American fans gotten so swept up in political correctness that they think criticizing and analyzing the scores of a skater are “hate campaigns?”

Right and Mexico is going to pay for that wall.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information