Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

kimkom

dish. what did you get?

Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil Heat & UV Protective Primer
Blinc Original Tubing Mascara
Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base Priming Moisturizer (Love this stuff!)
Makeup Eraser Cloth (Christmas gift for a co-worker)
Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm Makeup Remover
Maracuja Juicy Lip in Grapefruit. (LOVE!)
Glow water Niacinamide Dew Drops (This is a new one for me)
Lancome Tonique Confort Rehydrating Comforting Toner with Acacia honey (Also new to me)
And a bunch of skin care samples, of course!

My wonderful hubby etransferred me $100 to put towards my order, just because! :D

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
My order arrived today… 72 hours total. But the delivery was left on our front steps in the middle of a monsoon. Luckily, DH noticed it before the cardboard box disintegrated!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
My order arrived today… 72 hours total. But the delivery was left on our front steps in the middle of a monsoon. Luckily, DH noticed it before the cardboard box disintegrated!
FedEx?

Because they do that to me a lot.

skategal

Bunny mama
My order arrived yesterday too.

I’m loving the Smashbox foundation. I chose a great shade match. It looks identical to the skin on my neck.

I’m also enjoying the mini Glow recipe Papaya facials cleanser and mini Laneige Peach Ice tea lip sleeping mask.

I will end up getting full sizes of those eventually if possible.

I’m not sure if the Peach Ice tea lip sleeping mask is still available in full size as it was limited edition.

Aceon6

Ok, New Year, new stuff! All of the sale items I ordered made it into my Christmas stocking, but we aren’t going anywhere today, so there’s no reason for tiffing.

I’ve spent the last hour going through my makeup bag and throwing the old cream based things away. My blenders and brushes are on their 2nd soak in Blender Cleanser.

One more quick look at the after Christmas sale and I’m done.

skategal

Bunny mama
I got $200 in gift cards for Sephora for Christmas so put an order in to by December 31 to qualify for Rouge status again.

I stocked up on skincare items but did snag some fun things too (a new eyeshadow palette from Artist Couture.)

I also did a clean out of some old products last month so things are down to a manageable level.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
You guys, I have found the magic item. KISS eyeliner glue for false lashes. Why has no one thought of this before? (or at least, why has no one told ME about it?) So instead of putting the glue on the lashes and then desperately trying to get them on without smearing glue all over your eyelid, you just put on eyeliner and STICK THE LASHES ON THE EYELINER. OMG. I get the lashes on first try every time.

So of course I bought the most obnoxious lashes I could find...

skategal

Bunny mama
I self-tanned last night.

Used an old product (St. Tropez mousse) on my body and I need another coat as I think the product is on its last legs. :rofl:

I’ve had it at least a couple of years now.

Time to throw it out.

I used a new product on my face.

L’Oreal Supreme Bronze self-tanner for face.

It has no fragrance, has hyaluronic acid in it and can be mixed with your moisturizer for a gradual soft glow or alone (like a serum) for a darker tan.

I used it like a serum and it’s great.

Love that it has no fragrance and it has skin moisturizering properties.

My face is darker than my body now though so I need to even myself out tonight. :rofl:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I was in Sephora this week and realized I’m barely holding on to the lowest buyer’s category. If it weren’t for the Dr Gross pads and expensive foundation, I’d have lost my status entirely.

Get married, get lazy. Or maybe just accepting being old.

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
I was in Sephora this week and realized I’m barely holding on to the lowest buyer’s category. If it weren’t for the Dr Gross pads and expensive foundation, I’d have lost my status entirely.

Get married, get lazy. Or maybe just accepting being old.
Or be in a pandem1c where you have to wear masks whenever you’re out.

Make up makes my masks so gross and given my tendencies to mess up my make up whenever I put one on (I wear mostly N95s with elastics around my head).
I have hardly worn anything, not even mascara. My lipsticks are just gathering dust.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Or be in a pandem1c where you have to wear masks whenever you’re out.

Make up makes my masks so gross and given my tendencies to mess up my make up whenever I put one on (I wear mostly N95s with elastics around my head).
I have hardly worn anything, not even mascara. My lipsticks are just gathering dust.
I sure did save a lot on lipstick but needed foundation and eye makeup for zoom calls. My spare room/office has a lot of natural light, unkind to bare complexions.

skategal

Bunny mama
Why do makeup companies give you a sample of foundation only big enough to cover your nose and expect you to be able to know if you like it enough to buy it?

I can see making concealer and lipstick samples small but foundation goes all over your face.

If I am going to try it out I’d like a sample that covers most of my face.

I’d even settle for T-zone coverage.

But no.

WTF? :confused:

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
In Berlin, shop assistants in Sephora and Douglas are bloody useless. Going to Sephora after work tomorrow, armed with patience and calmness to dig out the mini Nars palette with bronzer and a blusher.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I traveled this week and forgot my normal hair styling paste. My hair was so flat that I had to wear a hat the entire time. There was a Sephora where we were but it was never opened when I walked by. The last day it was so I went in and tried out a new product that I like even better than what I had been using. If I'd known they had it, I would have made a bigger effort to get there when they were open!

It's B&B sumotech. Has anyone else used that? It held my hair really well but it stuck to my hands. I normally use Redkin Rough Paste 12 which is easier to get off my hands but doesn't hold quite as well.

Aceon6

Our local highs went from 50s F last week to 80s this week. I can no longer hide my legs under full length pants, so I am about to do my first TanLuxe application of the season. I usually mess up the first one. Good thoughts for my pitiful legs please.

Another thing, does anyone have a reliable spot treatment for maskne? I’m getting zits just below my nose anytime I forget to apply antibacterial cleanser after wearing a mask for more than a few minutes.

skategal

Bunny mama
I self tanned before I went on vacation.

I usually get a spray tan at a place downtown which I love but didn’t have time this time so I did the self job.

I used two coats of the new L’Oreal tanning foam/mousse. I like it but it doesn’t give a dark tan. So for the third coat I used my regular BondI Beach. It came out well.

The only thing I don’t like about the Bondi Beach is how strong the fragrance is.

I popped into CVS near SILs house and found a fragrance free version that develops in only an hour.

I’m in love. :cheer2:

Jenny

From the Bloc
This is interesting - Revlon files for bankruptcy.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a ton of Revlon products as a teen and junior career girl back when the local drug store brands were the cheaper alternative to the department store brands, and of course the magazines I read were full of their ads. (The article mentions their "iconic" slogan "Unforgettable" that I don't remember at all, but I do remember the distinct smell of Jontue :swoon: ).

They blame the pandemic in part, but really if you couldn't keep up with the pandemic then you were already way behind the times.

quartz

scratching at the light
Dang - I use Revlon’s color stay foundation with SPF. I like not having to put additional sunscreen on my face. And I must have sunscreen even tho I avoid sun at all costs.
Guess I had better stock up.

skategal

Bunny mama
I’m not surprised.

The industry is over-saturated right now with companies and products and there is only so much makeup people will buy.

Revlon needs to pare down to the products they do best (foundation, concealer, lipstick, mascara) and forget about putting out eyeshadows, eyeshadow pallets, highlighters (most of which have sub-par quality.)

CassAgain

I wore Revlon Raging Raisin my whole adult life until the…worldwide health thing got me away from a bold lip. (What was the point when I had to teach in a mask all day?) Now when I try it, it’s a bit much. Probably need to pick one up soon, though, in case I change my mind.

clairecloutier

This morning, I went to the Deciem web site to order some more items, only to find that they are closing down 4 of their brands:

I am bummed, because I have been buying a couple products from their Hylamide line for years now, specifically the SubQ Advanced Skin Serum and the Low-Molecular HA (hyaluronic acid). The products seemed to work well for me (better than The Ordinary products) and had a great price point.

The SubQ Serum in particular was good, and I am not sure what its replacement would be. It has a lot of moisturizing qualities and uses a couple of ingredients that purport to produce similar anti-aging effects as retinol but are not retinol. (Retinol makes me nervous because I have reddish skin and don't want it to get worse.)

Anyhow, sorry to see the brand go. It sounds like Deciem in general is a bit of a mess. Their founder committed suicide a year or so ago :(, and they've now been mostly bought up by Estee Lauder. :scream:

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
If you need a pick me up from all the bad stuff, I highly recommend Victoria Beckham's eyeliner. I bought one for my sister and one for me and we both love them. They glide on smoothly and the color holds all day, which is very cool.

You buy it at Bergdorf Goodman (lol, not in Nebraska) or online, like I did.

barbk

Help!

My daughter gets married next Saturday. My dress is a dark plum color heading more to the red zone than the blue. Especially with COVID, I just haven't worn makeup in two years, and I have dry eyes, so I quit eye makeup even before then. (Anything that melts into the eyes causes me discomfort, and I blink incessantly. I use artificial tears every couple of hours.)

Call me stupid, but I just realized I need to figure out simple wedding makeup...stat. We have a Sephora in town and an Ulta one town over, as well as other kinds of shops.

Are there mascaras that are gentle on the eyes and unlikely to smudge/smear? (I am a crier at weddings and funerals and baptisms and....)

I normally use just a tinted lip balm, but that's probably not right for a wedding. My lips are naturally rosy, I can't wear any kind of nude lipstick because it looks really weird with my lip color, and my various rose and berry-toned lip balms don't seem to look good with the dress color. (I'm unwilling to haul the dress around to Sephora, FWIW.) How to pick a color? Suggestions as to what might be not too sticky but also not super drying? I'm fair skinned.

I have to wear sunscreen - the wedding is up at 8000' and while the ceremony is on a plaza part of the hotel, pictures will be off in a garden area.

All help appreciated. I can't believe I didn't think of this until today.

myhoneyhoney

Congrats with your daughter’s wedding!!

I’d be hesitant to suggest foundation that has spf because the spf tend to give flashback, the whitish tint you see in pictures when the photographer uses flash. Instead, put on a high spf facial sunblock, let it absorb 20-30 minutes, then apply the foundation. You may want to apply a light touch of powder to reduce shine. Go to Sephora asap and get samples, you’ll need to make sure the color matches you (preferably your neck or chest) and the foundation doesn’t pill or have any funny reaction with your sunblock.

Foundation: Clinique’s Superbalanced foundation, something with light to medium coverage that’s more natural. Want to go full coverage, MAC Pro Longwear Nourishing Waterproof or Dior Airflash Spray.

Mascara: I haven’t found one that I like so no idea there.

Lipstick: not sure about color but maybe a tinted lipgloss or a sheer lipstick so your natural lip color blends in. I’m a huge fan of Clinique’s Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. It’s been around for decades and is all the rage again. It looks really dark in the tube but it’s sheer and works with everyone’s color. Google images of Black Hone to see how it looks on different lip tones.

Good luck!!!

skategal

Bunny mama
For lipstick Maybelline Color Tattoo lip crayons are good.

They stay on really well without being too drying.

Lots of colours available and their nudes are not super light or look weird on red rosy lips (I have those too.)

I use a tiny bit of lip balm underneath to give a tiny bit more moisture.

Waterproof mascara is a must.

I have extremely watery allergy prone eyes and I use Maybelline Sky High mascara Waterproof version and find it good.

Mascara and lipstick is one area you don’t need to splurge on or buy at Sephora to have a good product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information