Glamour Puss thread: Sephora, I wish I could quit you...

skategal

Bunny mama
Let's continue.

I am planning to post a review of the Icelandic Skyn moisturizer when I get a chance.

Anyone notice any nice looks on the Canadian and US Ladies?

I loved Gabby Daleman's lipstick (a plummy berry shade) and thought Tracy Wilson's makeup was gorgeous (very glowy and spring-like.)

clairecloutier

Haven't watched Canadians yet. Among the American ladies, I kind of liked Karen Chen's makeup look. I thought she looked appropriately youthful and glowing, but the bright red lipstick sent an "I'm a mature contender" vibe. I thought the lipstick was a good shade for her, and her hair was nicely done.

I liked Marissa Castelli's hair in the short program--half-swept up look, a little bit curly. I thought she looked great.

Ashley Wagner's hair color and makeup was too severe, I thought.

Gracie's hair, makeup, and overall look was just not good. I kept wondering about her braided style in the LP and whether the braid was a hairpiece or her real hair (not like it's important at all, I was just curious).

I always think Madison Hubbell does a good job with her makeup. It's colorful without being distracting.

topaz

Haven't watched Canadians yet. Among the American ladies, I kind of liked Karen Chen's makeup look. I thought she looked appropriately youthful and glowing, but the bright red lipstick sent an "I'm a mature contender" vibe. I thought the lipstick was a good shade for her, and her hair was nicely done.

I liked Marissa Castelli's hair in the short program--half-swept up look, a little bit curly. I thought she looked great.

Gracie's hair, makeup, and overall look was just not good. I kept wondering about her braided style in the LP and whether the braid was a hairpiece or her real hair (not like it's important at all, I was just curious).

I always think Madison Hubbell does a good job with her makeup. It's colorful without being distracting.

I liked Karen's makeup alot. I didn't mind Ashley makeup, I like the lip color alot. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xpN-4O2k5tE/hqdefault.jpg - short program makeup and long program makeup - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aWW36iuKLLY/hqdefault.jpg

Gracie's lip color was a risk. It was almost goth.

myhoneyhoney

Went to Sephora and bought the FX Drops (couldn't wait) and the Stila eye liner. I was checked to see if the Tria hair laser thingy will work on me and it's a go. OYE. I guess I have some saving up to do.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Karen looked so good in her red lipstick. Also Ashley's makeup in the FS was perfection.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I liked Ashley's makeup. Karen's red lip was nice too.
I think almost everyone can rock red if they pay very close attention to the undertone. Gracie's appeared to have a purple undertone which is a no-no for someone of her coloring. A light, bright, cherry red would be her color.

skategal

Bunny mama
Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update on the Skyn Iceland Arctic Hydrating Balm that I purchased from Sephora about 3 weeks ago and the Omorovicza Cleansing Balm sample that I got with my order.

My skin is sensitive and combination bordering on dry (especially this time of the year) and I like rich, creamy fragrance-free (bland?) moisturizers.

I have been using it for almost 2 weeks now and I do like it.

It is a thick, white, fragrance-free (YAY!) cream balm. It reminds me a lot of First Aid Beauty’s Moisturizer without the horrible scent of eucalyptus which I can't stand. :yikes:

I find that it dries down really quickly and it’s non-greasy so it’s great for using in the morning before you apply your makeup.

The downside is that at night I like the feel of more product on my face (yes, I could be weird! :lol:) so I would rather use my LaRoche-Posay before bedtime.

I haven’t noticed huge improvements in my skin but it definitely doesn’t irritate it either, so it’s a good choice for sensitive types like me and also, the price is pretty good too. :respec:

I would buy it again.

http://www.skyniceland.com/product-72-arctic-hydrating-balm

http://www.sephora.com/thermal-cleansing-balm-P296412?country_switch=ca&lang=en

I also have tried the sample of the Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm and OMG……..I am in LURVE. :swoon:

I thought I would like the product but I didn’t expect to love it as much as I do. :p

The sample was big enough for about 5 uses. I have used it 4 times already.

The scent of the product is citrusy and chocolately (cocoa butter, maybe?) all at the same time. It reminded me of Terry’s Chocolate Orange candy. YUMMY! :swoon:

I read online that it’s too nice of a product and too expensive to justify using it as a makeup remover so most people remove makeup first and then cleanse with this product.

I did try that but I also wanted to see if it could remove my makeup including waterproof mascara.

It did a fabulous job! It removed my mascara better than my usual Clinique Take of the Day Cleansing Balm which really impressed me. :cheer2:

It does leave behind a light layer of oil on your skin after cleansing. I really like this as I feel most cleansing products leave my skin feeling dry after use.

It is especially nice in the winter time when my skin is crying out for moisture.

Although, I can see that some people would not like this feature at all.

The only drawback is, of course, the price. I may buy a small one for $40 when I order from Sephora again.

But I don’t think I will buy the larger sizes, at least not yet anyway.

I may splurge next Fall when they have the 15% off coupons because this is such a nice product to have in the mix during the cold months of the year. :saint:

Jenny

From the Bloc
Thanks @skategal for your notes on Skyn :)

For the Thermal Cleansing Balm, yes it's expensive but a little goes a long way. Best to designate one of your facecloths for it though, as even with regular washing it will stain over time (especially as it lifts all that makeup out!). Personally, I wait until 20% comes around at Sephora and then stock up on this brand and other skincare. If you have an Omorovicza counter anywhere near you (and remember most hotel spas also have shops open to day visitors) or when you travel keep an eye out for bonus sizes. I got a giant jar at a really good price awhile back that I'm still using. They also do online orders and regularly offer deals if you are on their mailing list.

Bellanca

I kind of liked Karen Chen's makeup look. I thought she looked appropriately youthful and glowing, but the bright red lipstick sent an "I'm a mature contender" vibe. I thought the lipstick was a good shade for her, and her hair was nicely done.
I agree. I thought Karen looked very nice and as you mentioned, age appropriate.

IMHO, I hope that AW continues to adhere to her natural brunette hair color which is most complimentary to her features

A stylist once told me, never go more than two shades lighter OR darker than your natural hair color/shade.

I have always liked braids, very renaissance.

My skin is sensitive and combination bordering on dry (especially this time of the year) and I like rich, creamy fragrance-free (bland?) moisturizers.
I hear you!

Tracy Wilson's makeup was gorgeous (very glowy and spring-like.)
Hmmm, a long shot, I know, but I wonder what products she is using, does anyone know?

Last edited:

PDilemma

I think almost everyone can rock red if they pay very close attention to the undertone. Gracie's appeared to have a purple undertone which is a no-no for someone of her coloring. A light, bright, cherry red would be her color.

Yes. Thank you. It has irritated me forever that Gracie always has the wrong shade of red. She needs a tone intervention.

We got to talk to both Karen and Ashley at the boards after the medal ceremony and they both looked perfect all the way around. Make-up was perfect up close! Both were also very gracious and I got great pictures, too. :)

quartz

scratching at the light
Reds are tricky - I can't wear any sort of red that has even a tinge of coral/orange/peach - it has to be the reds with purple/blue undertones.
I agree that Gracie needs the cherry reds, and her short program blush was too peach/coral. Her shade of blonde never looks quite right, although not nearly as off as Chartrand's blonde is.
I am glad that Ashley went to a darker cherry color, which is way better than blonde, although maybe needs to be just a shade lighter, and I loved her makeup. I also like Gabby Daleman's makeup, even though it's quite heavy, it's very dramatic and appropriate for performing. She has great, strong features and can pull it off.
Karen Chen's makeup was perfect, as was Osmond's.

skategal

Bunny mama
Hmmm, a long shot, I know, but I wonder what products she is using, does anyone know?

I wish! I thought about emailing CTV/TSN and asking but figured they wouldn't be able to tell me. :lol:

As far as I could tell, it was a peachy-pink shimmery blush sort of like NARS Orgasm and a gold-toned highlighter similar to Becca Moonstone.

Lipgloss was a peachy-pink with shimmer.

I forget what color eyeshadow she had on. :shuffle:

Anemone

I am loving the colours of the new lipsticks I bought a couple of weeks ago, and they are quite long-wearing. Almost too long-wearing, as in, I am having trouble getting them off at night. Using the regular makeup remover on my lips just ends up tasting disgusting, as no matter how careful I am I seem to end up with some in my mouth. What do you all use to take off your lipstick? Or am I just weird with a problem no one else has?

Also wondering if anyone has ever tried IT cosmetics? I am seeing them on tv a lot lately, and wondering if they are all they claim to be.

PDilemma

I got the Vice lipstick in Liar. Love it. And I want more.

Must stay out of Sephora until my next payday!!

skategal

Bunny mama
OMG you guys....I just came across the video and had to post it here.

I haven't tried this yet but I have the same kind of dark blonde/light brown hair that goes brassy with dye and highlights that is discussed in this video.

I think I am going to try this sometime. :cheer2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsM61KVX4A

@Anemone I use cleansing balm or oil to remove stubborn lipstick.

Also FYI for anyone in Canada wanting to try Pixi products, I just noticed that Shoppers Drug Mart is selling Pixi now.

Aceon6

I am loving the colours of the new lipsticks I bought a couple of weeks ago, and they are quite long-wearing. Almost too long-wearing, as in, I am having trouble getting them off at night. Using the regular makeup remover on my lips just ends up tasting disgusting, as no matter how careful I am I seem to end up with some in my mouth. What do you all use to take off your lipstick? Or am I just weird with a problem no one else has?

Also wondering if anyone has ever tried IT cosmetics? I am seeing them on tv a lot lately, and wondering if they are all they claim to be.
I put on Chapstick then wipe. It gets most of it off. If I've been wearing something that's dyed my lips, I'll use a little granulated sugar applied over the Chapstick, then rub.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I got the Makeup Forever matte foundation and I really like it. It keeps most of my face matte (my nose is hopeless...), but it is pale and I need a bronzer, I think. Does anyone know of a good bronzer for pale people?

skategal

Bunny mama
I got the Makeup Forever matte foundation and I really like it. It keeps most of my face matte (my nose is hopeless...), but it is pale and I need a bronzer, I think. Does anyone know of a good bronzer for pale people?

Too Faced Milk Chocolate Soleil is nice matte bronzer for us pale folk. The regular one is only a shade darker too so both are nice options.

The only drawback with these is that they are scented like chocolate. I love the smell. But my husband hates it so I can't apply it when he is near me. Lol... :rofl: You can't smell it on your face or at least I couldn't anyway.

NARS Laguna is pretty good too for pale skin. But I do need to use a light hand when applying during the wintertime when I am at my palest. It does look better when I have a bit of a tan.

I would suggest you try this one before purchasing in case it's too dark for you.

Stay away from Hourglass Bronzers (even though they have 2 for pale skin) unless you like glittery bronzers.

I hated them, personally. :yikes:

IceAlisa

OMG you guys....I just came across the video and had to post it here.

I haven't tried this yet but I have the same kind of dark blonde/light brown hair that goes brassy with dye and highlights that is discussed in this video.

I think I am going to try this sometime. :cheer2:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsM61KVX4A .
That's interesting. I suffer from brassiness that eventually settles over my highlights. But I admit I am too chicken to try this.

Question: do you need to use conditioner on your brushes after you wash them?

beepbeep

Brazilian Eurotrash
That's interesting. I suffer from brassiness that eventually settles over my highlights. But I admit I am too chicken to try this.

Question: do you need to use conditioner on your brushes after you wash them?

Propah purple shampoo takes care of it. I use one from the AlfaParf non-professional line. Get a lot of foam and let it sit for some 8 minutes. Borderline miraculous. But, please, do some deep conditioning right after.

I wash my brushes by taking he heavy gunk with one of those quick cleansers and then washing with baby shampoo. No conditioning. Most of my brushes have synthetic bristles.

Aceon6

I'm supposed to be golden and kind of resent the "brassy" label. My baby hair was red and I was golden blonde until about age 8. Unfortunately, most warm tone hair color goes too far and doesn't look natural, so I may try this with a 3 parts conditioner ratio and see what happens. If I don't like it, it'll be gone in 4-6 weeks. If it works, it'll save me the expense of using 3 different colors when I do my hair.

altai_rose

My lipstick comes off onto my coffee cup in the morning. :( What am I doing wrong?

What brand of lipstick are you using?

skategal

Bunny mama
The matte liquid lipsticks dry down, dont transfer, and last forever on your lips.

Personally, I don't like them because they are so drying on my lips.

I feel like my lips are going to crack and fall off my face.

Last edited:

Anemone

Oh, some of the colour comes off on my cup too, but I am finding the colour is still there at the end of the day.
I ammusing urban decay vice lipsticks and also Laura Mercier.

altai_rose

Do you set your lipstick with powder? I do that on occasion and it doesn't budge.
Errm, no. I put on chapstick then slap the lipstick on, probably incorrectly :shuffle:, as some of it comes off with coffee and it's completely gone after lunch.

IceAlisa

Chapstick is probably the culprit. Try without?

Although I usually expect to have to re-aplly lip color after a meal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information