German Skating News 2019/2020

sandra_persch

The German Fed is really staffing up

Daniel Wende will be running the national training center in Oberstdorf going forward

Carolina Chon (nee Hermann) is being added as a Sport Phsycologist

text_skate

On ard One we can watch Euros :40beers:, in the afternoon live, and in the evening a summary (around 10 p.m.), probably last two groups plus German participants

I hope, youtube isn't geoblocked therefore, because I've learned to appreciate a stream without commentary, and because One starts their at 1 p.m. CET, while some comps starts as early as 11.30 a.m.

Gala on Sunday is also live.

cs.berlin

The ISU YouTube livestream from Graz will not be shown live in Germany (at least not for YT viewers who technically can't avoid the blocking).

The German Television "ARD" will broadcast all competitions as a livestream. However, the streams of the afternoon competitions will not start until 1 pm - they start with the ARD afternoon program (i.e. not with the start of the competition) and summarized in the night program. The live broadcasts will then also be available in the ARD media library.

Besides, the fact that the ARD fulfils its obligations to the fee payer and shows this event in the television programme is no more than right. Some viewers will also learn that something like figure skating actually exists when they switch on the television. Something that they would never have taken notice of otherwise. In this respect, I prefer ARD commentators a thousand times over the comments of certain veteran Eurosport commentators, who have recently let themselves be bought privately without hesitation. And thus, unfortunately, anything but speaking objectively according to the mouth of the respective organizers.

Some links (original titles):
22.1.2020, ab 19:20 Uhr: Eiskunstlauf-EM im Livestream - das Kurzprogramm der Paare
23.01.2020, ab 18:35 Uhr: Eiskunstlauf-EM im Livestream - das Kurzprogramm der Männer
24.01.2020, ab 19:05 Uhr: Eiskunstlauf-EM im Livestream - Kür im Paarlauf
25.01.2020, ab 18:35 Uhr: Eiskunstlauf-EM im Livestream - Kür der Frauen
Overview (not yet complete): https://www.sportschau.de/wintersport/liveticker/index.html

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

So, German fed joins the ISU in making bizarre mid-season changes to nomination criteria:

So the update is in pairs: the german fed committee will decide after 'Challenge Cup' which pairs to send to worlds.
Former criteria was: The pairs reaching the final at Euros will be send to worlds. This was a strange call right from the start, as in all other disciplines (with harder competition) Top12 was needed securing the worlds spot.

So I approve this got adjusted. But I don't approve the timing though. I hope the pairs have heard of this way earlier.
So will this be a skateoff between all 3? Will this be a skateoff between H/K, P/B? Will the former results be taken into consideration?

Additionally it was announced that the potential 4th event counting for the ice dance worlds race (if M/D fail to finish top12 at euros) will be Egna Trophy.

J

Jeschke

Besides, the fact that the ARD fulfils its obligations to the fee payer and shows this event in the television programme is no more than right. Some viewers will also learn that something like figure skating actually exists when they switch on the television. Something that they would never have taken notice of otherwise.
I agree here; I would approve the option like for other countries though, which additionally have the YT-stream free, even with a national broadcaster. If ARD does not show all live, this would have been a nice move.

The live broadcasts will then also be available in the ARD media library.
Can you send me a link for that?
I always fail to find footage of the free livestreams of Sportschau (which were not shown on TV). Thanks.

Dobre

And the fed just published new nomination criteria for pairs and dance for worlds.
Egna Dance and Challenge Cup will be taken into consideration now too.

Regardless of whether Muller & Dieck finish top 12 at Europeans? Or as Jeschke says above, provided they don't finish top 12?

J

Jeschke

Regardless of whether Muller & Dieck finish top 12 at Europeans? Or as Jeschke says above, provided they don't finish top 12?
If they finish Top12 they are safe! Former criteria still stands.
They just announced the place of the potential 4th event! But either way, M/D gap is really big already after nationals, so the race seems over to me.
But it might be another good chance for JvR/Steffan to leave their mark. They won the only head-to-head international against M/D so far.

(The real update was on pairs)

Dobre

If they finish Top12 they are safe! Former criteria still stands.
They just announced the place of the potential 4th event! But either way, M/D gap is really big already after nationals, so the race seems over to me.
But it might be another good chance for JvR/Steffan to leave their mark. They won the only head-to-head international against M/D so far.

Thank you. It's not a huge gap considering how M&D skated last year. They've been more solid this season. Top 12 is a big ask so I'll not be at all surprised if it comes down to a 4th event; but I'm not a fan of changing criteria mid-season at all so I am glad that they know where the goal line is. Ditto with JvR&S.

cs.berlin

And the fed just published new nomination criteria for pairs and dance for worlds.
Egna Dance and Challenge Cup will be taken into consideration now too.

Pairs - "After the ISU Challenge Cup competition in The Hague (20.-23.02.2020) the DEU Presidium will decide on the nomination of the two starting places in the pairs discipline for the World Championships 2020".
I do not think that this decision was made over the heads of the skaters. The pair H/B has fought for this second place on the starting grid and it would be unfair to simply ignore the male part of the pair, because a separation occurred and perhaps better future chances for a certain pair are calculated. But I think it's fair to give P/B a chance (for which there is only one competition possibility left), because they lost the competition due to an injury at the most inappropriate moment (perhaps this new unknown kind of lack of brutality in the implementation of naked numbers distinguishes us from certain other nations precisely for this reason).

Ice dancing - About what is written there, one simply has to wait for the result of the European Championship. In any case, I think it's good that a regulation for the "emergency" of a possibly unpopular decision has been agreed upon beforehand (in contrast to earlier, where no fat bowl was left out). Anyway, there are altogether five hopeful couples and only three starting places. The pressure on JvR/S and M/D to deliver perfectly at the European Championships I imagine to be especially hard (I just can't decide who to root for ... some have the more interesting RD, some have a really nice FD ...)

Last edited:

RoseRed

Pairs - "After the ISU Challenge Cup competition in The Hague (20.-23.02.2020) the DEU Presidium will decide on the nomination of the two starting places in the pairs discipline for the World Championships 2020".
I do not think that this decision was made over the heads of the skaters. The pair H/B has fought for this second place on the starting grid and it would be unfair to simply ignore the male part of the pair, because a separation occurred and perhaps better future chances for a certain pair are calculated. But I think it's fair to give P/B a chance (for which there is only one competition possibility left), because they lost the competition due to an injury at the most inappropriate moment (perhaps this new unknown kind of lack of brutality in the implementation of naked numbers distinguishes us from certain other nations precisely for this reason).

Ice dancing - About what is written there, one simply has to wait for the result of the European Championship. In any case, I think it's good that a regulation for the "emergency" of a possibly unpopular decision has been agreed upon beforehand (in contrast to earlier, where no fat bowl was left out). Anyway, there are altogether five hopeful couples and only three starting places. The pressure on JvR/S and M/D to deliver perfectly at the European Championships I imagine to be especially hard (I just can't decide who to root for ... some have the more interesting RD, some have a really nice FD ...)
JvR/S are not competing at Euros. Germany only has one spot in dance.

J

Jeschke

Thank you. It's not a huge gap considering how M&D skated last year.
Well, 5pts seems much to me, but you are right, with one big mistake and PCS loss within a lot is possible.
Thank you. It's not a huge gap considering how M&D skated last year. They've been more solid this season. Top 12 is a big ask so I'll not be at all surprised if it comes down to a 4th event
I would be very much surprised if they can manage Top12. If so, they deserve the world's spot. So thus, the selection process seems pretty fair this season, with the possible 4th event on the line.
but I'm not a fan of changing criteria mid-season at all so I am glad that they know where the goal line is.
Not sure if I understood you right, but nothing was changed in dance. It was this criteria right from start.

Dobre

So thus, the selection process seems pretty fair this season, with the possible 4th event on the line.

Not sure if I understood you right, but nothing was changed in dance. It was this criteria right from start.

Yes, I understood your explanation. I was just saying that I was glad that the criteria had not changed. I agree that the selection process has been pretty fair this season. I really appreciated the fact that more head-to-head events were used this season.

cs.berlin

JvR/S are not competing at Euros. Germany only has one spot in dance.
Yeah, sure, the line you highlighted is crap from my side, a weird blackout... I wrote three starting places (for all pairs) and of course I thought about the outcome of the EC of M/D and the decision that both couples can win additional points in another competition (Egna) for the decision regarding participation in the WC.

I really appreciated the fact that more head-to-head events were used this season.
What other head-to-head events were there apart from the ice dance couples? As I recall, for the other couples there was no real decision in joint competitions due to injuries (ok, Paul's clear FS decision was not necessarily to be expected ...)

Last edited:

text_skate

pre-comp piece by dpa:

DEU hopes for better results than last year, "bella figura"
  • Hoping even for medal for H/S, IF Russians have mistakes, and H/S are superb. If Russians are flawless, they don't stand a chance (König)
  • Nolan says: It's nice, that they expect us to aim for a medal, but I think, it's to early
  • Minerva: You'll never know.
  • Schott: top ten is my goal, top 5 could be possible
  • dpa thinks, she can count on artistic skills in comparision with Russian youngsters with quads (they mentioned all three of them, certainly dpa has never wartched Kostornaia)
  • Fentz is aiming for top 10 with two 4T and 3A respectively – keeping my fingers crossed, his 3A (and 4T) is gorgeous, when he's on, which is rarely the case, unfortunately

J

Jeschke

pre-comp piece by dpa:
Thanks.
My favourite parts:
After the sadness of the past year, there is still a secret hope in the DEU for a medal in pairs skating by Minerva-Fabienne Hase and Nolan Seegert
🆘

Dönsdorf about Schott
What she shows has definitely a unique selling point compared to the small hoppers from Russia who only jump.
:shuffle:

Imho it would be great if H/S could make the final flight for the FS. They have a good-scoring SP, so if they go clean, they can beat the Austrians and struggling Italians. If they would be able to finish first runner-up to the Russians after the entire competition, this would be a huge achievement imho. Top5 should be some kind of realistic goal.
Top8 for H/K or maybe Top10.

I like that Schott sees herself as a contender for Top5. She obviously is, if all works out. I would be the loudest to cheer if she manages, but above all I would be pleased if she gets that 2nd spot back. Top10 in a very deep Euros ladies field has to be achieved first. Last SP flight and PCS boost (when she hopefully kills it) might help.

Fentz' Top10 mission seems even harder. But I approve he is in fighting mode and the 4t from nationals FS keeps me hopeful. Not sure if going for a two quad FS is the right approach though.

Dance. Well, this will be the toughest battle. 14th is the best result they could achieve in my calculation without big mistakes by the others. I am happy if they surprise me but there are at least another 3-4 teams around there level additionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jeschke

German Fed got more funds
There was a big reform few years ago inside DOSB; lots of german sport federation lost a lot (if not all) funding.
New funding is based more on prospects than former results.
(In that regard and current state of german figure skating I am confused, they are amongst the 'winners' here :shuffle:)

cs.berlin

Nicole Schott about a injury just before the competition ("the injury will not be healed until my start on Friday/Saturday, but I will be able to run"), realistic goals, the relationship to her coach (whom she admires very much) and, of course, the discussion about age in the ladies race, formulated as factually and diplomatically as possible (together with a proposal): Interview in German language

text_skate

Sportschau's pre comp report (at the bottom links to streams):

cs.berlin

Before the Euros in Graz:
A 'firework of womens triple and quadruple jumps', age discussion and German medal chances, criticism of jump development (is the age limit coming? - 'the topic is highly political'), about Nicole Schott's 'aesthetic counterpoint' as well as the award nomination and much more: click (Article in German)

J

Jeschke

I liked the answer about age limits:
It is a very difficult topic. I don't really want to comment on that. Younger skaters have the advantage that the speed of rotation is higher and that they are before puberty.
Now it's easy for me to say: great, let's introduce an age limit. But when I was German Champion with 15, I also wanted to skate seniors and went to the EM at 17. In addition, puberty comes at 13, the other at 15 - how can you justly define who can start when?

Fun quote
Q: You are now 23. If you apply Russian conditions, you are ...
Schott: "... a real ice skating grandma."
:rofl:

Sunny231

Wow! I would never have expected 6th place after the SP from Fentz! Of course he benefited from the bad skates of Aymoz and Samarin, but nevertheless a great skate from him! I don't even want to know how good he would have been without the mistake! Hopefully he can skate a good FS, too. I don't dare to hope for the same result, but 10th place is really possible now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information