German Skating News 2017/2018

Seerek

The Olympics really are a strange event all its own. Paul Fentz trended last night thanks to Paul Anka.

text_skate

Frank-Walter Steinmeier, President of Germany, visited training of German figure skaters on Saturday morning. He and his wife stayed longer than planned, and had time for photos. His wife likes figure skating.
Paul Fentz https://www.instagram.com/p/BfAEzCmHWKI/
Nicole Schott: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfA6WRZn0fs/
It's nice that our figure skating team gets this kind of recognition:

Short report about visit in FAZ (google translate):

»After the ice hockey team, the German figure skaters were happy about an almost one-hour flying visit by Federal President Frank-Walter Steinmeier. The head of state and his wife Elke Büdenbender arrived on Saturday morning (local time) after their visit to ice hockey to train the pair runners in the ice arena in the coastal town of Gangneung in South Korea. Steinmeier chatted animatedly with the medal candidates Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot, who took a rest after the team competition the day before.
A joint souvenir photo was taken in the German team box. Steinmeier then patiently posed for dozens of selfies with athletes and officials. "That was cool. This is the first president I met," said the Frenchman Massot, who took German citizenship before the Olympics. "He wished us luck," added Massot, who is challenged with Savchenko next Wednesday. "I think it was above all his wife, who wanted to come here, because she likes figure skating very much," said the 29-year-old World Cup runner-up.
"It was interesting, the two are totally down to earth. I had the impression that they are very excited about figure skating," said Nicole Schott, who was pleased that the couple stayed longer than planned. At the boards of the arena Steinmeier was explained in detail the rules of the sport. Sports soldier Paul Fentz was particularly proud: "They said they want to try watching our competitions on TV."«

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Update on Schott: Not surprising, new layout in SP: 3F, 3T+3T, 2A
Good move imho, as the 1-2 layout with loop just did not work out! :respec:

text_skate

Doesnt it also mean 2 years of A team envelope and funding for the skaters? At least thats what happened after 8th in Sochi if I remember correctly.
Well, reporters said, Team A (A-Kader) funding for skaters, if 8th place is reached (AFAIK, this is the rule for every athlete who competes at Olys/Worlds in every discipline)

I'm not so sure, if it means more money for the fed. Depends upon, what DOSB/Ministry of Interior and German Fed have agreed on.

nimi

Leslie Jones ‏Verified account @Lesdoggg 14h14 hours ago
Let me tell you about a good partner he pulled it when they ended I love it. @Olympics
This latter one was about Min/Gamelin, though. Refers to poor Yura suffering the wardrobe malfunction mid-dance. M/G's and L/P's costumes do look pretty similar due to the same color scheme etc. Which reminds me... Whatever happened to the yellow to orange to red gradient SD dress Kavita was wearing earlier this season? This red one is fine too but I really liked that one, it looked distinctive and fun on the ice.

Anyway, Joti appreciated the shoutout: https://twitter.com/JotiPolizoakis/status/962643582111776768

text_skate

Article about Robin in Thüringer Allgemeine: http://www.thueringer-allgemeine.de...kowy-Zwei-Partner-werden-zu-Rivalen-170715540

It's about his work as a trainer with Nina Mozer and his work for the German fed and focuses on the spicy situation, that he his training one of the main rivals of his former partner.

The success of his proteges has a side effect, which is affecting his former partner's goals. There has been no talk between Aliona and Robin about this situation. Robin says, they understand each other, respect each other, have a good relationship on small talk level. Hopes, eventually they talk about the situation, what has happened.

clairecloutier

Oh dear. This does not sound good.

If my Google translation is correct, the article says that Aliona is also experiencing pain in her landing foot. Due to this, they will go for throw triple flip instead of throw triple Axel.

Wonder what the problem is with Aliona's foot ... just general fatigue/overuse, or something else .... :-(

annie_mg

The article isn't really clear about whether or not she has an injury now or if they are referring to last year's injury. My German isn't perfect so I might be missing a nuance, but I find it a bit misleading.

Anyway, I wish them all the best....

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I think they only planned to use the 3A if they were behind in the short and thought they needed the extra points, otherwise, they were going to do the 3Flip all along.

I cannot believe any athlete wouldn't be wearing masks and gloves and touching nothing while in the Olympic village.

text_skate

If my Google translation is correct, the article says that Aliona is also experiencing pain in her landing foot. Due to this, they will go for throw triple flip instead of throw triple Axel.

Wonder what the problem is with Aliona's foot ... just general fatigue/overuse, or something else .... :-(
I read in one of the article pre Olys, that she had injured her foot in a 3ATh landing some weeks before, according to article @Jeschke posted up-thread here German Skating News 2017/2018

sus2850

The article refers to a problem that Aljona has mentioned since her foot injury of last year: She said she has constant pain since that injury when doing the flip throw take-off and that this was one reason why she wanted to rather do the 3a throw. The toe pick for the flip hurts a lot she said.

text_skate

The article refers to a problem that Aljona has mentioned since her foot injury of last year: She said she has constant pain since that injury when doing the flip throw take-off and that this was one reason why she wanted to rather do the 3a throw. The toe pick for the flip hurts a lot she said.
Thanks for clarifying. This isn't evident in the Abendblatt article. Do you by any chance know, if she hurt her foot again, as the article from Jeschkes post states?

sus2850

Well, the article which is a dpa piece implies what I explained above through this sentence: „Die Wahl-Oberstdorfer übten allerdings zuletzt verstärkt den dreifachen Axel, um den angeschlagenen Fuß von Savchenko zu schonen.“ Maybe it is a follow up to an earlier text where the author did explain it in more detail.
I have not heard about a new injury, but as I am not in Korea myself, that does not mean much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information