From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
What happened in Kazan is really sad. It's been so cool to see skating expanding beyond Moscow and St. Petersburg in recent years (or maybe it just wasn't as visible to Americans before all the streaming of events). I always get excited to learn about new (to me) places, and Kazan was one that I found especially interesting.
The celebrations of the Day of Victory were nice, but the amok-killing in Kazan is beyond sad and horrible.

Several parents who did send their kids off to school are going to meet them again in a casket. I cannot think of a worse fate for anyone.

Scott512

The celebrations of the Day of Victory were nice, but the amok-killing in Kazan is beyond sad and horrible.

Several parents who did send their kids off to school are going to meet them again in a casket. I cannot think of a worse fate for anyone.
It's just unbelievable. Your comment about the parents meeting the children again at the casket is just hard to believe.

They sort of crazy killings a pretty rare in Russia.
We can get a couple or a few of these in America every year but I don't think it happens a lot in Russia. Maybe around 2004 they had a lot of killings in chechnya. I don't remember for sure. I've said for many many years that anyone who does these mass killings and we had one recently in Colorado just take your own life first instead of killing a bunch of people and then taking your own life.

It sounds like the Russian figure skating community is rallying around Kazan.

Many of us come here or to other sports message boards to escape the terrible things going on in the world. I'm very sad for Russia after this violence and for the people of Kazan.
Kamila Valieva comes from Kazan. I'm sure she's hurting badly about this.

Rina RUS

They sort of crazy killings a pretty rare in Russia.
We can get a couple or a few of these in America every year but I don't think it happens a lot in Russia.
Our “peaceful” time could be more peaceful than it is.
I remember those years when terrorists organized explosions in multiple family dwellings in different cities in Russia (1999). Terrorist attacks in subway (2000, 2004, 2010)... Denis Ten was saying he had been in Moscow back then too
We remember an occupation of the school in Beslan (in Russia too).
Sorry, this is off-topic. I think… one tragedy is more than enough for the people whom it touches.
Anyway thank you that it is important for you.

I always get excited to learn about new (to me) places, and Kazan was one that I found especially interesting.
As for Kazan, it is said that Kazan is “the third capital” of Russia (after Moscow and St Petersburg). Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan (this region of Russia is a republic).

Perky Shae Lynn

So incredibly sad about the senseless violence. Both US and Russia are paying more attention to mental health, yet these horrific episodes keep happening. My kids can't bring backpacks to school this year. I asked my son why, and he said it's because it's easier to hide a gun in a backpack. He is in middle school in a fancy area. I won't lie, I cried for his innocence being lost when he made the comment.

Scott512

So incredibly sad about the senseless violence. Both US and Russia are paying more attention to mental health, yet these horrific episodes keep happening. My kids can't bring backpacks to school this year. I asked my son why, and he said it's because it's easier to hide a gun in a backpack. He is in middle school in a fancy area. I won't lie, I cried for his innocence being lost when he made the comment.
Unbelievable! Sad. Tragic.

I don't know how we fix it. I would start with not issuing gun permits to people who have a documented history of abuse or drug use.

They take driver's licenses from people who are responsible so why would you give gun permits to people who have proven they are not responsible?

Hopefully the Olympic figure skating season and will be unbelievable. It will need to be because the world is not in a good place.

Scott512

Our “peaceful” time could be more peaceful than it is.
I remember those years when terrorists organized explosions in multiple family dwellings in different cities in Russia (1999). Terrorist attacks in subway (2000, 2004, 2010)... Denis Ten was saying he had been in Moscow back then too
We remember an occupation of the school in Beslan (in Russia too).
Sorry, this is off-topic. I think… one tragedy is more than enough for the people whom it touches.
Anyway thank you that it is important for you.

As for Kazan, it is said that Kazan is “the third capital” of Russia (after Moscow and St Petersburg). Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan (this region of Russia is a republic).
Yes Beslan is what I was thinking of.

Kazan is where Kamila comes from and the charter region is where Alina comes from.

As for figure skating did they name the Russian national team yet? Or give out GP assignments?

Sylvia

TBD
Tatjana Flade visited Zhulin's ice dance teams (photos of Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Abachkina/Drozd, Lopareva/Brissaud): https://www.instagram.com/p/COyabeYJCQm/

Lopareva/Brissaud reccently announced they are preparing new programs with Team Zhulin: https://www.instagram.com/p/COVQX7LJb3s/

For those who'd like to watch, he Polish broadcast from earlier today is not geoblocked:
If anyone was wondering why Sinitsina/Katsalapov were doing in Poland together with Kvitelashvili, Usacheva & Khromykh ...
TV Alerts thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ń-cup-2021-may-12-tvp-sport-broadcast.108309/

Last edited:

3T3T

I really enjoyed Lopareva/Brissaud Free Dance at Worlds, it really stood out for me (as did the other French team), not sure that programme would be Zhulin’s teams style. I hope it works out for them.

Has Abachkina been released by France or are A/D not representing Russia? I think they’d find it tough in Russia, lot of great junior teams coming through.

Bigbird

I really enjoyed Lopareva/Brissaud Free Dance at Worlds, it really stood out for me (as did the other French team), not sure that programme would be Zhulin’s teams style. I hope it works out for them.

Has Abachkina been released by France or are A/D not representing Russia? I think they’d find it tough in Russia, lot of great junior teams coming through.
Yes. Really enjoyed the two frenchies. Thought they were ridiculously underscored.

Is Drozd really interested/motivated though in ice dance? I don't think he fits the pretentious classical mould that is Zhulin's wheelhouse. Hmm...

Bigbird

Sinitsina/Katsalapov will skate to Rachmaninoff in their new FD, still undecided about specific piece
Surprise! Said no one. But a good fit for them. Of all their Zhulin FDs maybe that was their best one?

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Channel 1 nterview with Tarasova/Morozov

Tarasova: first couple of weeks were great, it was the vacation and we had a chance to rest. Then not so much
Morozov: we ended up sitting home for 3 months, we went to Novogorsk, we needed time to recall how to skate/do elements. The first month in Novogorsk we spent working just fine and we were checking all the time whether it would be possible to fly back to the USA. We bought the first possible ticket through Amsterdam. We came to the airport, it was at the beginning of July, there was a huge queue, we spent 2 hours waiting in queue, we were asked what kind of document do we have - a green card/passport/whatever. We just had a tourist visa and were told that we can't go with that. We were told we might fly with the direct flight. So while in the taxi back home we booked the direct flights for the next day. So we came the next day. But because they were in Amsterdam the USA did not allow them to enter. But we ended up not flying to Amsterdam! We spent another 1.5 hours in the queue but in the end we made it to the USA at the beginning of July and started working on the programmes. We decided to keep the SP from the last year - there was no time for 2 new programmes.
Tarasova: things in California were open by the time we came - the rink was open, the restaurants. After 3 months not skating when you are on the ice for the first time - I thought it would be so much worse, but no, my legs remembered. It felt so good being back on the ice. I remember how Vladimir bumped into the border in his first practice
Morozov: 2nd. I had a new pair of boots.
Tarasova: yeah, into the border.
Morozov: the plan was to go back to Moscow from the USA and then 2 competitions. But once we came back I got соvid so all was 2 weeks postponed - I haven't skated for 2 weeks and then we only had Kazan cup to skate.
Tarasova: we had 4th and 5th cups and then after Kazan I got соvid. After the illness I had to get back to shape in 3 weeks. While Vladimir had some time to recover and he was practicing even more so he could help me
Morozov: we were using my experience - I already knew what hte illness was like - the first week after was not too bad - I lost a lot of weight, I was 2 kg underweight, it's great for 3 days but then you lack energy, you can't breath, you have blue marks under your eyes and the 2nd week after is really tough. After that you get used. So I told Evgenia all that
Tarasova: for me it was easier thanks to Vladimir. All went well.
Morozov: I motivated myself knowing that it would be hard and I would have to work for both of us.
- What was the most annoying during these 3 weeks?
Tarasova: we knew we didn't have time to be nervous, there was no time. So the preparations to the nationals was very calm and well coordinated. We understood it would be tough
- Did you want to tell anything to each other
Morozov: No. We were following Trankov's plan and even if something didnt' work it was expected. Emotionally and physically by the end of the week we were expected to be more tired and slower. It was all by the plan. So there were some mistakes that popped out, but we expected it
- Is it the plan or the experience?
Morozov: Both

- How did winning the nationals become possible?
Tarasova: we skated the Russian cups quite well, the Fed representatives came to the practices and saw us.
Morozov: we were ready. We only had 3 weeks, but we were well prepared. All worked during the practice and it gave an external confidence. The SP was perfect and the Lp think we made one mistake
Tarasova: Think it was also the lack of time - the last throw needs to be worked a lot and it was the hardest and the weakest element. We didn't have enough practices. Trankov told us that we are ready. We did well before the Nationals even though we lacked time. He said just go there and do your job.
Morozov: we were first of all thinking how to show our work from the practice and the result is part of the hard work. Some ask whether we think about the first place. It's not the first of all - you know with a good skate it will come.

Was Trankov nervous being alone with you?
Morozov: physically alone, Marina was with us online all the time, besides it was not his first season with us and he learns being with us on the competitions. I can't tell he was too nervous, he came to me and even told me a couple of secrets before the LP and it helped me to let go and skate calmly

- Are you still nervous before the competitions?
Morozov: No matter what level of a competition it is you are always a bit nervous because you want to do your absolute best. It does not lock me down, sometimes I should be even calmer

- Are you nervous together or separately?
Tarasova: Separately. We are nervous in a different way - if Morozov can be even stronger, throws higher and needs to be restrained I need the opposite - I slow down and need to be rushed.

- Do you deal with it together or separately?
Morozov: By myself since I was a junior. I don't even approach the coach much, I calm myself down. I try not to bother the partner with all that. Once you are on the ice and holding hands you have to be confident.
Tarasova: When you are in the dressing room getting ready you are on the ice I see how Vladimir is, I learned to see whether he is nervous and it either calms me or makes me more nervous. I don't think we never said anything to each other before the start
Morozov: when we get to the rink with the blade guards we have to be ready. From that moment on you have to work. No matter whether you are nervous or not - go ahead.

- Did you ever annoy each other so badly you were skating on that hate?
Tarasova: things happened and we could fight during the practice but you learn when you are trying to prove the other something the common work stops. You can't write it off, we are all human, we all might be annoyed.
Morozov: we are not kids anymore, it's over
Tarasova: Not this season. Previous seasons - things happened. We fought, we got each other in tears
Morozov : I never cried
Tarasova: ok, I did. We would not speak to each other for days but we learned it's a waste of time - you will still go out there and work together. You are a pair. you can't

- You were not speaking to each other?
Tarasova: guess off the ice, on the ice you have to. At least decide which element we are doing now.

- Could you do something in an element without discussing it first?
Morozov: That would be unprofessional. It could cause an injury. All these fights and all that sillyness - some might enjoy it but it's not professional. So no, I could never even afford such a thought.
Tarasova: I know Vladimir will never throw me too high or too far in a throw
Morozov: It's just the different points of view not because someone is bad. We just didn't agree

- Was it something technical?
Tarasova: I could sometimes say that you do this and that and I'm not comfortable, do it this and that way. And first you think `why would I change something if I'm the one uncomfortable' and then you realize indeed if I changed things and the element worked - well, great, the element works.

The worlds:
Morozov: they say the thinnest will tear. Guess we were not confident and at the most important moment it pops out.
Tarasova: Guess a lot of reasons: we really wanted it, we made some mistakes in the preparations and the joke was on me - I wanted it and I thought I would go out there and it will work... and I don't know. Guess the nerves.
Morozov: Of course we worked on it every day and several times a day. But a week before the competitions the toeloop sometimes didn't work and think it was the lack of confidence. When your elements are 100% working you are confident. When during the practices there were some problems it causes a lack of confidence. And it happened at Worlds.
Tarasova: the more important the competition is the more you think how to do it better, even better than you know how to you make a mistake. I had some troubles during the preparations - alone I was doing the elements just fine, but together or with the music - there would be a mistake. I think it was mental. Technically - Trankov says it's all ideal, the jumps are good, nothing to change here. Why? Later we had time to think and come to conclusions. I guess yes, I have a mental problem.
Morozov: I slightly agree. You can't blame the mental state on everything. I re-watched the skates many times and it was a technical mistake. And it's not because it was the Worlds, it's not by chance.
Tarasova: Hence the more nervous you are the more you make mistakes when you are trying to do your best.
Morozov: From my point of view it depends on your state when you go on the ice. Each of us deals differently with the stress. When you find the best conditions you understand what is your reaction - whether you are explosive or tired or what. Then you can deal, take control and there is no uncertainty.

-Emotions after the Worlds were over
Morozov: Emtpyness. You are sitting in that bubble, you can't even get out, it presses. It was not the nicest feeling. Besides I was sharing the room with Katsalapov who was still to skate so I did my best not to bother him so he would not see my mood or something, I had to support him as a friend because his competition just began and at least he would do fine. But inside I was empty. The season was not bad, we won some, it was a rollercoaster with the illnesses, so all went not so bad, going up and then the last moment... something broke inside.
Tarasova: The same, being upset, being pissed with myself

- What idd you want the most that moment?
Tarasova: To get out from that bubble and just take my mind off all that. You are in the bubble and it all really pressures on you.

- Was it the most painful defeat in your career?
Morozov: No. Not for me.
Tarasova: One of.

- How do you come back?
Morozov: After 2 days we calmed down and we knew we have to move on. Indeed not everything worked, indeed we ended up with no medals, but giving up at that moment would be wrong. Your fans care so much so just walking out would be wrong. And then what, be sorry for the rest of your life that you could and didn't? So you start to analyze half the time why and then half the time think what is next. I found something to do rather than dwell in the stuff. So yeah, you are upset, but you start making new decisions and take your mind off
Tarasova: Think that day I was a bit up with the fact we could discuss things. I understood no one is going to give up, leave the team, we still want to go on and it cheered me.

- You thought of retiring?
Tarasova: No, but we were all very upset and when we were all able to talk I was cheered that no one had such thoughts.

- Tutberidze - how did it begin?
Morozov: we were offered to join for a couple of shows. Our old exhibition number was too old - we skated it for 2 seasons. In Sweden we decided on a new programme, but we don't have an ice to train in Moscow this season. We were going to different rinks - there was no constant rink we could train at. So it happened that we were working on the exhibition in Khrustalny rink and then we asked to skate there a bit before the show, because going to the show form the scratch with no practice would be hard. Trankov and us had a conversation what is next - where do we skate because it's a real problem. And I don;t know how it crossed our minds to ask Tutberidze to join the team so she could help us with hte ice and the possibility to practice on her ice.

- Did you approach her together?
Morozov: yes. She was quite shocked, because why would we, but she said she wants to help. So we started talking how can it be done and it's still in the process. But it si being solved. The ice, the plans, the preparations. At that moment it was an adventure, but now it's our choice and we like how she treats the practice, her approach, how things are organized and work here
Tarasova: we approached her together and asked. There were hesitations and fear what will she answer but we were thrilled with her reaction - the way she took it and how she replied

- the main expectations of that collaboration?
Morozov: she will help us where we lack. Of course I hope things will work for us.
Tarasova: it's a team work

- What did you learn about her during this month?
Morozov: positive things. We imagined her completely different. She is much better than we thought. We like working with her so much. All these rumours about her are rumours and are wrong.
Tarasova: Yes, there were rumours about her, but seeing how she talks and communicates and cares about her girls you change your.... you hear one thing and then the reality is completely different.

- Who is responsible for what in your team?
Morozov: there is no such thing one is responsible for one thing and the other for the other. We are a team and each do as much as they can. We will be working with Trankov who will be working on the pairs elements. Tatiana (I assume Volosozhar), Sergey (They don't say which but show Dudakov in the frame, so guess it's Dudakov and not Voronov)

- What is next?
Morozov: I can't wait for that moment when I'll be allowed to go to a vacation on a sea side and turn the phone off. When we are back from the vacation we first have to do the programmes, then 2 weeks in Sochi, then Novogorsk. After Novogorsk Moscow.
Tarasova: Now we are going to a vacation calmly knowing we can rest and there will be no surprises. It was hard to imagine a month ago.
Morozov: We still have a lot to work on , but it will be later.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Russian National team for 2021/2022 season:
Ladies

Main team: Valieva, Trusova, Tuktamysheva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Scherbakova
Reserve team: Kostornaia, Nugumanova
Men
Main team: Ignatov, Kolyada, Kondratyuk, Mozalev, Samarin, Semenenko
Reserve team: Aliev, Gumennik, Danielian
Pairs
Main team: Boikova/Kozlovskii, Mishina/Gallyamov, Tarasova/Morozov
Reserve team: TBA
Ice Dance
Main team: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Zahorski/Guerreiro
Reserve team: TBA

Final lists should be approved by Russian Sports Ministry by June, 1st

3T3T

A bit of a demotion for Kostornia and Aliev to be put on the reserve team. Will this impact them for the GP series. Where is Med?

The main teams for Pairs and Dance are small. Surely P/K should be on the main Pairs list.

hanca

Values her privacy
A bit of a demotion for Kostornia and Aliev to be put on the reserve team. Will this impact them for the GP series. Where is Med?

The main teams for Pairs and Dance are small. Surely P/K should be on the main Pairs list.
It won’t impact on her GP, but it will impact on her funding.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Where is Med?
There is only so much the federation can do to help her. The last time Medvedeva had a reasonably good season was 2018-19. It wasn’t a great season for Russian ladies standard (3rd and 4th at her GP events), but at least she managed to get the bronze medals at worlds. Since then she had two seasons where she didn’t show anything to deserve to be on the team. They forgave her one season and she was still on the national team, but can’t really ignore having two not great seasons. Especially when the number of spots on the team is limited and they have so many skaters who currently have much better results.

Rina RUS

Where is Med?

Medvedeva is mentioned in the cast of the new show by Averbukh
(“Anna Karenina”)

People in the comments text that Averbukh will have to replace her with another skater, because Medvedeva is supposed to be an ambassador of the Russian team (in these Olympics too).
https://rsport.ria.ru/20210406/medvedeva-1727111693.html

Last edited:

Primorskaya

They usually go with top 5 at Nationals + 1 skater from Russian Cup Final for the main team
Indeed, yet all the same, I can't help being a bit surprised she wasn't selected. I expected reputation/better experience of international competition to weigh in their choice.
Aside from that, no big surprises.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Channel 1 nterview with Tarasova/Morozov

Tarasova: first couple of weeks were great, it was the vacation and we had a chance to rest. Then not so much
Morozov: we ended up sitting home for 3 months, we went to Novogorsk, we needed time to recall how to skate/do elements. The first month in Novogorsk we spent working just fine and we were checking all the time whether it would be possible to fly back to the USA. We bought the first possible ticket through Amsterdam. We came to the airport, it was at the beginning of July, there was a huge queue, we spent 2 hours waiting in queue, we were asked what kind of document do we have - a green card/passport/whatever. We just had a tourist visa and were told that we can't go with that. We were told we might fly with the direct flight. So while in the taxi back home we booked the direct flights for the next day. So we came the next day. But because they were in Amsterdam the USA did not allow them to enter. But we ended up not flying to Amsterdam! We spent another 1.5 hours in the queue but in the end we made it to the USA at the beginning of July and started working on the programmes. We decided to keep the SP from the last year - there was no time for 2 new programmes.
Tarasova: things in California were open by the time we came - the rink was open, the restaurants. After 3 months not skating when you are on the ice for the first time - I thought it would be so much worse, but no, my legs remembered. It felt so good being back on the ice. I remember how Vladimir bumped into the border in his first practice
Morozov: 2nd. I had a new pair of boots.
Tarasova: yeah, into the border.
Morozov: the plan was to go back to Moscow from the USA and then 2 competitions. But once we came back I got соvid so all was 2 weeks postponed - I haven't skated for 2 weeks and then we only had Kazan cup to skate.
Tarasova: we had 4th and 5th cups and then after Kazan I got соvid. After the illness I had to get back to shape in 3 weeks. While Vladimir had some time to recover and he was practicing even more so he could help me
Morozov: we were using my experience - I already knew what hte illness was like - the first week after was not too bad - I lost a lot of weight, I was 2 kg underweight, it's great for 3 days but then you lack energy, you can't breath, you have blue marks under your eyes and the 2nd week after is really tough. After that you get used. So I told Evgenia all that
Tarasova: for me it was easier thanks to Vladimir. All went well.
Morozov: I motivated myself knowing that it would be hard and I would have to work for both of us.
- What was the most annoying during these 3 weeks?
Tarasova: we knew we didn't have time to be nervous, there was no time. So the preparations to the nationals was very calm and well coordinated. We understood it would be tough
- Did you want to tell anything to each other
Morozov: No. We were following Trankov's plan and even if something didnt' work it was expected. Emotionally and physically by the end of the week we were expected to be more tired and slower. It was all by the plan. So there were some mistakes that popped out, but we expected it
- Is it the plan or the experience?
Morozov: Both

- How did winning the nationals become possible?
Tarasova: we skated the Russian cups quite well, the Fed representatives came to the practices and saw us.
Morozov: we were ready. We only had 3 weeks, but we were well prepared. All worked during the practice and it gave an external confidence. The SP was perfect and the Lp think we made one mistake
Tarasova: Think it was also the lack of time - the last throw needs to be worked a lot and it was the hardest and the weakest element. We didn't have enough practices. Trankov told us that we are ready. We did well before the Nationals even though we lacked time. He said just go there and do your job.
Morozov: we were first of all thinking how to show our work from the practice and the result is part of the hard work. Some ask whether we think about the first place. It's not the first of all - you know with a good skate it will come.

Was Trankov nervous being alone with you?
Morozov: physically alone, Marina was with us online all the time, besides it was not his first season with us and he learns being with us on the competitions. I can't tell he was too nervous, he came to me and even told me a couple of secrets before the LP and it helped me to let go and skate calmly

- Are you still nervous before the competitions?
Morozov: No matter what level of a competition it is you are always a bit nervous because you want to do your absolute best. It does not lock me down, sometimes I should be even calmer

- Are you nervous together or separately?
Tarasova: Separately. We are nervous in a different way - if Morozov can be even stronger, throws higher and needs to be restrained I need the opposite - I slow down and need to be rushed.

- Do you deal with it together or separately?
Morozov: By myself since I was a junior. I don't even approach the coach much, I calm myself down. I try not to bother the partner with all that. Once you are on the ice and holding hands you have to be confident.
Tarasova: When you are in the dressing room getting ready you are on the ice I see how Vladimir is, I learned to see whether he is nervous and it either calms me or makes me more nervous. I don't think we never said anything to each other before the start
Morozov: when we get to the rink with the blade guards we have to be ready. From that moment on you have to work. No matter whether you are nervous or not - go ahead.

- Did you ever annoy each other so badly you were skating on that hate?
Tarasova: things happened and we could fight during the practice but you learn when you are trying to prove the other something the common work stops. You can't write it off, we are all human, we all might be annoyed.
Morozov: we are not kids anymore, it's over
Tarasova: Not this season. Previous seasons - things happened. We fought, we got each other in tears
Morozov : I never cried
Tarasova: ok, I did. We would not speak to each other for days but we learned it's a waste of time - you will still go out there and work together. You are a pair. you can't

- You were not speaking to each other?
Tarasova: guess off the ice, on the ice you have to. At least decide which element we are doing now.

- Could you do something in an element without discussing it first?
Morozov: That would be unprofessional. It could cause an injury. All these fights and all that sillyness - some might enjoy it but it's not professional. So no, I could never even afford such a thought.
Tarasova: I know Vladimir will never throw me too high or too far in a throw
Morozov: It's just the different points of view not because someone is bad. We just didn't agree

- Was it something technical?
Tarasova: I could sometimes say that you do this and that and I'm not comfortable, do it this and that way. And first you think `why would I change something if I'm the one uncomfortable' and then you realize indeed if I changed things and the element worked - well, great, the element works.

The worlds:
Morozov: they say the thinnest will tear. Guess we were not confident and at the most important moment it pops out.
Tarasova: Guess a lot of reasons: we really wanted it, we made some mistakes in the preparations and the joke was on me - I wanted it and I thought I would go out there and it will work... and I don't know. Guess the nerves.
Morozov: Of course we worked on it every day and several times a day. But a week before the competitions the toeloop sometimes didn't work and think it was the lack of confidence. When your elements are 100% working you are confident. When during the practices there were some problems it causes a lack of confidence. And it happened at Worlds.
Tarasova: the more important the competition is the more you think how to do it better, even better than you know how to you make a mistake. I had some troubles during the preparations - alone I was doing the elements just fine, but together or with the music - there would be a mistake. I think it was mental. Technically - Trankov says it's all ideal, the jumps are good, nothing to change here. Why? Later we had time to think and come to conclusions. I guess yes, I have a mental problem.
Morozov: I slightly agree. You can't blame the mental state on everything. I re-watched the skates many times and it was a technical mistake. And it's not because it was the Worlds, it's not by chance.
Tarasova: Hence the more nervous you are the more you make mistakes when you are trying to do your best.
Morozov: From my point of view it depends on your state when you go on the ice. Each of us deals differently with the stress. When you find the best conditions you understand what is your reaction - whether you are explosive or tired or what. Then you can deal, take control and there is no uncertainty.

-Emotions after the Worlds were over
Morozov: Emtpyness. You are sitting in that bubble, you can't even get out, it presses. It was not the nicest feeling. Besides I was sharing the room with Katsalapov who was still to skate so I did my best not to bother him so he would not see my mood or something, I had to support him as a friend because his competition just began and at least he would do fine. But inside I was empty. The season was not bad, we won some, it was a rollercoaster with the illnesses, so all went not so bad, going up and then the last moment... something broke inside.
Tarasova: The same, being upset, being pissed with myself

- What idd you want the most that moment?
Tarasova: To get out from that bubble and just take my mind off all that. You are in the bubble and it all really pressures on you.

- Was it the most painful defeat in your career?
Morozov: No. Not for me.
Tarasova: One of.

- How do you come back?
Morozov: After 2 days we calmed down and we knew we have to move on. Indeed not everything worked, indeed we ended up with no medals, but giving up at that moment would be wrong. Your fans care so much so just walking out would be wrong. And then what, be sorry for the rest of your life that you could and didn't? So you start to analyze half the time why and then half the time think what is next. I found something to do rather than dwell in the stuff. So yeah, you are upset, but you start making new decisions and take your mind off
Tarasova: Think that day I was a bit up with the fact we could discuss things. I understood no one is going to give up, leave the team, we still want to go on and it cheered me.

- You thought of retiring?
Tarasova: No, but we were all very upset and when we were all able to talk I was cheered that no one had such thoughts.

- Tutberidze - how did it begin?
Morozov: we were offered to join for a couple of shows. Our old exhibition number was too old - we skated it for 2 seasons. In Sweden we decided on a new programme, but we don't have an ice to train in Moscow this season. We were going to different rinks - there was no constant rink we could train at. So it happened that we were working on the exhibition in Khrustalny rink and then we asked to skate there a bit before the show, because going to the show form the scratch with no practice would be hard. Trankov and us had a conversation what is next - where do we skate because it's a real problem. And I don;t know how it crossed our minds to ask Tutberidze to join the team so she could help us with hte ice and the possibility to practice on her ice.

- Did you approach her together?
Morozov: yes. She was quite shocked, because why would we, but she said she wants to help. So we started talking how can it be done and it's still in the process. But it si being solved. The ice, the plans, the preparations. At that moment it was an adventure, but now it's our choice and we like how she treats the practice, her approach, how things are organized and work here
Tarasova: we approached her together and asked. There were hesitations and fear what will she answer but we were thrilled with her reaction - the way she took it and how she replied

- the main expectations of that collaboration?
Morozov: she will help us where we lack. Of course I hope things will work for us.
Tarasova: it's a team work

- What did you learn about her during this month?
Morozov: positive things. We imagined her completely different. She is much better than we thought. We like working with her so much. All these rumours about her are rumours and are wrong.
Tarasova: Yes, there were rumours about her, but seeing how she talks and communicates and cares about her girls you change your.... you hear one thing and then the reality is completely different.

- Who is responsible for what in your team?
Morozov: there is no such thing one is responsible for one thing and the other for the other. We are a team and each do as much as they can. We will be working with Trankov who will be working on the pairs elements. Tatiana (I assume Volosozhar), Sergey (They don't say which but show Dudakov in the frame, so guess it's Dudakov and not Voronov)

- What is next?
Morozov: I can't wait for that moment when I'll be allowed to go to a vacation on a sea side and turn the phone off. When we are back from the vacation we first have to do the programmes, then 2 weeks in Sochi, then Novogorsk. After Novogorsk Moscow.
Tarasova: Now we are going to a vacation calmly knowing we can rest and there will be no surprises. It was hard to imagine a month ago.
Morozov: We still have a lot to work on , but it will be later.
Thanks so much for posting this! When I read it was 40 minutes long, I didn't even bother to start.

These two had such a tough year! They need lots of hugs. I am very happy to read that they liked Tuberidze and that the rumors about her were just rumors. It is good that they will have a rink, time, and competent and caring people around them. I hope it will help them do very well this season.

I really hope they will continue after 2022. If this arrangement works for them, they should give themselves a chance to develop further in a stable environment. This could be the best situation they have had in many years.

Sylvia

TBD
Interview with Andrei Mozalev:

Machine translated excerpts:

Was it possible to avoid surgical intervention?
Unfortunately no. It was impossible to continue a career without a timely operation. I dropped out of the training process for a week and a half. I didn’t do anything at all, I was lying on the couch at home. Then they were allowed to gradually load the leg in the gym, to engage in general physical training. Only two and a half weeks after the operation did I go out on the ice.

Are you strengthening the content in training now?
Let's not rush things. You will see it at test skates and competitions in the upcoming season. Now, it seems to me, I have completely recovered from the injury. In parallel with the restoration, work was underway on new programs.

Re. the battle for one of the 3 Olympic spots:
Competition only spurs me on. And it has always been that way. Opponents make you work better in training and show your maximum in competitions. I hope that I also spur them on.

[Following Mozalev's reply "I'm going to study to be a coach..."] What qualities should a figure skating coach have?
Ability to remain calm in any situation and confidence in the correctness of their decisions. And not just confidence, but also the ability to pass it on to your students.

Primorskaya

Medvedeva is mentioned in the cast of the new show by Averbukh
(“Anna Karenina”)

People in the comments text that Averbukh will have to replace her with another skater, because Medvedeva is supposed to be an ambassador of the Russian team (in these Olympics too).
https://rsport.ria.ru/20210406/medvedeva-1727111693.html
Having seen Medvedeva co-host that special event (for Rossiya 1 I think? the one including a boys/girls, jumps-only competition) they had on Russian TV a few months ago, I'm not worried about her future. She's an absolute natural at presenting. If she wants to move into that direction while maintaining show skating, she has a glittering career ahead of her.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Indeed, yet all the same, I can't help being a bit surprised she wasn't selected. I expected reputation/better experience of international competition to weigh in their choice.
Aside from that, no big surprises.
I don't think scores from two years ago mean much to the Russian federation anymore. It's what you did the last time you competed. If you want to go to Europeans, better be on the podium at nationals. Want to go to the Olympics--same and you better be on the podium at Europeans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information