From Russia With Love [#39]: Into Winter 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
She was being Russian. Russians don’t seem to be very forgiving of failure, especially when someone else in the recent years was successful. Suddenly the success is not something that is ‘wow’, suddenly it is expectd and there is a duty to deliver. For example, in Leonova’s times, Leonova’s results were success. But now it would be a failure.
Mozer was being classless and stupid, that's not something all Russians do practice.
But thank you very much for the generalization of my people.

Bigbird

She was being Russian. Russians don’t seem to be very forgiving of failure, especially when someone else in the recent years was successful. Suddenly the success is not something that is ‘wow’, suddenly it is expectd and there is a duty to deliver. For example, in Leonova’s times, Leonova’s results were success. But now it would be a failure.
I know they have a certain style but her, Trankov, Eteri after being dumped and others I know I'm forgetting at the moment are especially irksome.

Elena Ilinykh most definitely is not Russian. Too diplomatic for her own good. There are some other notable exceptions like maybe Tatiana Vol. but man talk about carrying grudges. Ridiculous.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Honestly I think it's as simple as Mozer was lucky she was the one who hired Stas Morozov and Tatiana wanted to stick with him. I'm sure other coaches would have taken Trankov back; we all knew the second this pairing was named they were very serious contenders for the Olympic gold. And then because it was the quad leading up to Sochi, more resources than usual were pumped into her school and the other two high profile pairs in Russia switched over because her school had the best conditions in Russia. I can give her some credit for some things she did but a lot of it was timing and luck and I surely won't remember her as one of the great Russian coaches. Even with the successful pairs she had, I always had a sense they could have been doing more. She really screwed up S&K after Sochi and T&M in general and seemed to invest too much time into Zabijako and her various partners who were nothing special.

hanca

Values her privacy
Mozer was being classless and stupid, that's not something all Russians do practice.
But thank you very much for the generalization of my people.
Russian people generally tend to say what they think in interviews. That’s not generalisation, that’s observation of interviews with Russian coaches and skaters in the past 10-15 years. There are a few exceptions that are diplomatic, such as Moskvina, but there is not many of those around. So to me it feels that you actually generalise them as classless, whereas I believe it is a part of the culture - being more outspoken, less PC, less beating round the bush, more to the point, just say it as it is (or as you think it is) rather than making just hints and tiny suggestions.

anonymoose_au

All it takes is meeting her or reading her interviews. You would understand instantly. :rofl:
Hope there's the same hate for Tatiana Tarasova because she is the actual worst.

The point is no matter how much we all love Tamara she can't coach everyone. There's only so much time in a day.

I don't think Maxim T is that bad either and he and Sergei V really helped T/M this year. What happened at Worlds sucked, but Nationals was a triumph. He clearly has some skills.

Rina RUS

May 9 is The Victory Day
we celebrate the end of The Great Patriotic War
(that part of WW II which took place on the Soviet lands)

fire_bird
(Tatiana Volosozhar) : Congratulations on the May 9, dear friends, on the Victory Day! This is a celebration given us as a gift by fantastically stoical and brave people – by our veterans. They are the only ones who know the real price of that Victory…
These people have overcame dreadful experience, every day on a war is a heroic thing.
We are pride very much for our great-grandpa Lazar Petrovich Salopenkov who fought in an artillery regiment. In February 1945 in Poland he was wounded in the leg and had to leave the battle front.
If you know any veterans personally, please, congratulate them. And if you can, help them as far as possible. Regretfully, not many of those great people are still alive, and every year we bereave some.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpAQwCHZae/

xam_trankov: Congratulations on the Great Victory Day.
This is my grandfather. Stepan Dmitrievich Trankov. Was born on August 10 1922. He was called up for military service in Velikolukskaya province, Nevelski region on July 14 1941. He fought in 19 zsp 22 zsbr; 47 usp 48 uchsd. He was a captain, lieutenant-colonel. He is awarded the Medal For Battle Merit, the Medal For Defeat of Germany in The Great Patriotic War 1941-1945.

Rina RUS

ekaterinabobrova: A celebration with tears in our eyes… These are the best words about this celebration. Today is the Great Victory Day!
We are happy people, because we live in time of peace. We don’t have to be ready every moment to hide in bombshelters. We don’t have to listen to every rustling at nights, preparing for the worst. When we say goodbye to our relatives, we don’t have to think that maybe we won’t see them again. We don’t starve.
At the same time we remember those who shed their blood for us. Those young boys and girls who had forgotten that they were so young, and went up the line to defend their Motherland. Our great-grandmas and great-grandpas. We live now thanks to them.
This day is partly sad, but let smiles and hooraies outweigh the sadness!
Nobody is forgotten, nothing is forgotten.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpiQAptcVr/

dmitry_solovyev: Congratulations on the Great Victory Day. We do remember…
(on the video Dmitry recites poetry and after that he says: “Congratulations on the Great Victory Day. I wish you health and clear sky above your heads.”)
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpvPbHjNJP/

slutskayaofficial: Congratulations on the Victory Day!!
Today I’d like to thank all our veterans! Thanks to their heroic deed we have the most precious thing – we have peaceful sky above our heads.
Let’s not forget about this great day and let’s respect great deeds of our countrypeople. We can thank our veterans, but now not many of them are still alive, and every year we bereave some.
Today we revere the memory of all those who spared no effort fighting for our lives. And we watch again movies about that war. Some of our favourite movies are “The Brest Fortress”, “Dawns Here are Quiet”, “17 Moments of Spring”, “They Were Fighting for Their Motherland”.
May aftersounds of wars stay only in books and in movies!
Dear veterans, I wish you health and longevity!
What movies about The Great Patriotic War do you watch?

Rina RUS

tatiana_navka: Congratulations on the Victory Day our Motherland!!!
Glory and deepest gratitude to our veterans, homefront workers, war children and all the people of our country who not only won the war, but also reconstructed the country after that! Every of us remembers that great deed and one generation passes down this knowledge to another one!
This is the hero of our family, Pyotr Petrovich Navka. A Red Army soldier, a Red Navy sailor. He participated in the liberation of Sevastopol, was wounded in March 1942, was awarded the Medal For Courage, the Medal For Battle Merit, the Order of the Red Star, the Order of the Patriotic War of the 2-nd Class, the Medal For the Defense of Caucasus. He made it home after the war, lived an honest life, brought up his children and managed to nurse his grandkids. We do Remember, we Pride!
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpIQeag1ba/

romankostomarovkrs: Congratulations on the Great Day dear friends!!! On the Victory Day!!!! I wish all of us peaceful sky above our heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(on the video Roman congratulates us once again and adds “hurray!”)
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpEVeZo70A/

adelina_sotnikova14: Congratulations on the Victory Day!
We bow down before all the veterans!
This is my great-grandpa Alexander Vasilievich Kochetov (March 8 1919 – January 31 1994). He is a Hero of the Soviet Union, a fighter pilot, a participant of The Great Patriotic War, he shot down 43 aircrafts.
I also have another great-grandpa, Georgi Vladimirovich Sotnikov. May 19 1914. He was a senior lieutenant. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the Order of the Patriotic War of the 1st Class. He fought in the 11th separate tank battalion of the 10th Army of the 3rd Belorussian Front. He was a second-in-command officer of the tank battalion.
Konstantin Yakovlevich Sotnikov was born in 1914, he was a soldier, an antiaircrafter. He was a participant of The Great Patriotic War. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the Medal For Courage (October 9 1942). He was a USSR-wide judge (1961).

Sylvia

TBD
Read that Daria P. is recovered and is doing some light training and will start training again with Denis "after the May holidays." This should go to a google translated article, hopefully: article
This May 2nd article quotes one of their coaches, Sergei Dobroskokov, as saying Pavliuchenko/Khodykin "in the Olympic season will perform with the previous short program":
Last season, the skaters performed a short program to the music of American jazz clarinetist Benny Goodman from the hit Sing, Sing, Sing, staged by another coach of the couple, Sergei Rosliakov.
"We decided to leave the short program for the next season, because we practically did not skate it abroad. We will complicate the track, edit some of the links. And we will change the free program, think about the director, we need a successful program in the Olympic season, with which we need called, to get there, "- said Dobroskokov.
ETA:

Just checked Nikita Mikhailov's Instagram and he has choreographed pairs programs for Karina Akopova/Nikita Rakhmanin (7th in Senior at 2021 Nationals): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNE10RhJSFC/
He also choreographed the SP for Anastasia Mukhortova/Dmitry Evgenyev (3rd in Junior): https://www.instagram.com/p/CNV44o2pjDh/

Last edited:

Rina RUS

t.a.tarasova: Congratulations on this great day dear friends! On the Victory Day!
This is The Immortal Regiment of Tarasovs family.
My dad Anatoly Tarasov who was a participant of the war. He was awarded the Medal For Battle Merit, the Medal For Defeat of Germany.
My mom Nina Tarasova had been coaching skiers who participated in the decisive battle for the capital of our country. She was awarded the Medal For the Defense of Moscow.
My uncle Konstantin Feklisov. He was killed when he was 18 y.o.
My mother-in-law Rakhil Gershoig. She was a major of medical corps. She worked as a surgeon in a front-line hospital.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpNIw_J1LY/

aleksandr_zhulin: Congratulations on this great day dear friends! On the Great Victory Day! Glory to Soviet people who won that war! We do remember, we pride for the heroic deed of our grandfathers! I wish all the people peaceful sky above their heads!
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpIx2TnOWf/

aleksandr_enbert: Congratulations on this great day to all! On the Victory Day!
Deepest gratitude to the veterans, to the homefront workers and to all the people of our country! Your heroic deed is embalmed in our hearts!
I wish you peaceful sky above your heads! May wars become a thing of the past!

Rina RUS

tatianatotmyanina: Clear sky above heads #May9
https://www.instagram.com/p/COqD4UwJ7SR/

alexei.yagudin: Congratulations on this great day! On the Great Victory Day! My grandma Maria Sergeyevna Blokhina was a survivor of siege, she was bereaved of all other members of her family in the times of siege….
I wish all of you clear sky above your heads…. We do remember.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COppN6YBZiC/

plushenkoofficial: Congratulations on this great day to all! On the Great Victory Day!
Deepest gratitude and glory to all who were fighting for our Motherland, who overcame all the hardships and horrors of the war, who spared no effort to move the victory nearer (on battle fronts and on homefronts). May the memory of those heroes be embalmed in our hearts! Those heroes who gave their lives for our happy future, for the clear and peaceful sky above our heads.
I hope that all the horrible episodes of wars are only a thing of the past now, only a thing which we save in stories and movies as a legendary deed of people of our country. May there never be war on our lands! May there never be bombs in the blue sky above our Motherland! May there never be crying children, widows and mothers! I wish you health, unending happiness, love and peace!
PS I’m impressed by Dima Bilan’s delivery of “The Cranes” song! There is so much power and so much bitterness in this composition….
https://www.instagram.com/p/COqEywoKDfR/

And a post by Evgenia Medvedeva. I’m going to translate it tomorrow, because it includes a video.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpo6jMq4f7/

I want to share something else on this important day.
It seems I didn’t share this video with extremely beautiful singing
(the lady is Pelagea, the boys are Matvei Semishkur and Mikhail Smirnov)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iPcYxurod4

Pelagea and the boys were singing “Dark Is The Night” song, you can listen to it in English on another video
(if English isn’t your native language, you can see the text below the video)

Rina RUS

(I didn't have enough time to translate Medvedeva's post yesterday, so I've done it today)

jmedvedevaj (Evgenia Medvedeva) : This is a Great Day. Congratulations on the Victory Day to all!
Each of us has forebearers to pride for.
I’d like to wish peace to all. In the 21 century we have enough wars too. I hope to God sooner or later all the wars will become a thing of the past. Every life matters.

(on the video: )
Int: “Zhenya, good morning! Congratulations on this great day! On the Victory Day!”
EM: “Thank you very much! Congratulations to you too.”
Int: “I know that you (like many of us) have in your family great-grandpas who participated in that war and relatives who survived the war, right?”
EM: “Yes, that’s true. I’d like to mention my grandma’s elder brother who was killed in 1942. His name was Ivan Mazayev. He was in a tank, and a shell fragment took him. Our family learned this from a letter which his best friend had written from battle front. We still keep those letters. In those letters his best friend tells how they got to know each other, how they fought together and how he was killed.”
Int: “Your great-grandma had seen the war too, she was about 15 years old when the war started, and she lived in Moscow, right?
EM: “Yes, she was very young. Her name was Tatiana Vasilieva. I was told that she and other girls had been on duty on roofs: fire-bombs had been falling onto roofs, and they had been gathering burning bombs to put them into buckets with water. She also helped her mom who worked in a hospital, she was a hospital nurse.
Int: “I also know that your another great-grandpa went through the war from the beginning to the end.”
EM: “Yes. Boris Grigoryan. He made it to Berlin in the ranks of the army. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star and many other awards. My great-grandpa carried off the battlefield 15 injured people. There is also an interesting fact about him: after the war he started to celebrate his birthday on May 9. He didn’t change the date in his documents, but started to celebrate it in on the Victory Day.”
Int: “So today it is also your great-grandpa’s birthday, isn’t it?”
EM: “Yes, it is. Happy birthday, dear great-grandpa!”
Int: “Zhenya, I’d like to congratulate you once again on the Victory Day!”
EM: “Thank you very much. I’d like to congratulate also our audience. Let’s remember those generations – thanks to them we have peaceful sky above our heads. If we remember, we won’t let such events happen again.”

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
He's seriously looking to come back? Wow. It would be interesting to see him with soneone new. He has great partnering skills and he has grown as a performer.
I think if he was seriously looking to come back he would not sit on his ass and wait for the `fate'. Also interesting that he finds Morozov the best female partner. If I had to choose between her and Hudaberdieva I would think Hudaberdieva is better.

If I were Soloviev I would do my best to pair up with Diana Davis - he has no chance for a personal event medal at this stage anyway and skating with her is a promised team event medal.

Sylvia

TBD
If anyone was wondering why Sinitsina/Katsalapov were doing in Poland together with Kvitelashvili, Usacheva & Khromykh, here are some of Daria's photos from Torun (she also has IGTV videos from the trip): https://www.instagram.com/p/COpuj1dJhJ6/ & https://www.instagram.com/p/COpvX24p1L6/

TV Alerts thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ń-cup-2021-may-12-tvp-sport-broadcast.108309/
Guest star performers (recorded on May 8) were Victoria Sinitsina & Nikita Katsalapov, Maiia Khromykh, Daria Usacheva and Morisi Kvitelashvili.
The skating gala will be broadcast on TVP Sport on Wednesday, May 12 at 15:15 (link to watch, if not geoblocked): https://sport.tvp.pl/53735093/lyzwiarstwo-figurowe-mentor-cup-w-toruniu-retransmisja

Preview clips: https://www.facebook.com/axeltorun/posts/1672542719599709

love_skate2011

Banned Member
There are rumors Stepsister 2 (Kromykh) is listed in russian national team
while Stepsister 1 (Usacheva) is listed in Reserve

That doesn't make sense, considering Stepsister 2 only landed a fluke quad on a basis.

Kromykh also lacks a fan base and devoid of any personality, she is boring as watching paint dry
Not saying Usacheva is better, she also lacks personality that sets her apart from Valieva, Trusova, Kostornaia or Shcherbakova

million$momma

There are rumors Stepsister 2 (Kromykh) is listed in russian national team
while Stepsister 1 (Usacheva) is listed in Reserve

That doesn't make sense, considering Stepsister 2 only landed a fluke quad on a basis.

Kromykh also lacks a fan base and devoid of any personality, she is boring as watching paint dry
Not saying Usacheva is better, she also lacks personality that sets her apart from Valieva, Trusova, Kostornaia or Shcherbakova
I like Kromykh far better than Usacheva. She is athletic (landing 2 quads is not a fluke) and her personality is starting to show. Is she a graceful ballerina?...for sure not...but it would be boring if every skater looked the same!

Scott512

tatiana_navka: Congratulations on the Victory Day our Motherland!!!
Glory and deepest gratitude to our veterans, homefront workers, war children and all the people of our country who not only won the war, but also reconstructed the country after that! Every of us remembers that great deed and one generation passes down this knowledge to another one!
This is the hero of our family, Pyotr Petrovich Navka. A Red Army soldier, a Red Navy sailor. He participated in the liberation of Sevastopol, was wounded in March 1942, was awarded the Medal For Courage, the Medal For Battle Merit, the Order of the Red Star, the Order of the Patriotic War of the 2-nd Class, the Medal For the Defense of Caucasus. He made it home after the war, lived an honest life, brought up his children and managed to nurse his grandkids. We do Remember, we Pride!
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpIQeag1ba/

romankostomarovkrs: Congratulations on the Great Day dear friends!!! On the Victory Day!!!! I wish all of us peaceful sky above our heads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(on the video Roman congratulates us once again and adds “hurray!”)
https://www.instagram.com/p/COpEVeZo70A/

adelina_sotnikova14: Congratulations on the Victory Day!
We bow down before all the veterans!
This is my great-grandpa Alexander Vasilievich Kochetov (March 8 1919 – January 31 1994). He is a Hero of the Soviet Union, a fighter pilot, a participant of The Great Patriotic War, he shot down 43 aircrafts.
I also have another great-grandpa, Georgi Vladimirovich Sotnikov. May 19 1914. He was a senior lieutenant. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the Order of the Patriotic War of the 1st Class. He fought in the 11th separate tank battalion of the 10th Army of the 3rd Belorussian Front. He was a second-in-command officer of the tank battalion.
Konstantin Yakovlevich Sotnikov was born in 1914, he was a soldier, an antiaircrafter. He was a participant of The Great Patriotic War. He was awarded the Order of the Red Star, the Medal For Courage (October 9 1942). He was a USSR-wide judge (1961).
I had no idea Adelinas 2 great grandfathers were so decorated. Amazing. Victory Day is a great day in Russia.

Scott512

I like Kromykh far better than Usacheva. She is athletic (landing 2 quads is not a fluke) and her personality is starting to show. Is she a graceful ballerina?...for sure not...but it would be boring if every skater looked the same!
Maya will be the surprise this season. But you and I won't be surprised. ;) She's just the right age and she's coming into her quads just at the right time. Watch out!

As for her personality it is developing and she has a great smile if she can smile during her performances the judges will appreciate that.

Rina RUS

Victory Day is a great day in Russia.
I love this day now when I'm adult. I like that so many people are ready to tell their stories - as if all those people are my family. I really love this feeling now. Partly this celebration is sad, but... I think it teaches us many important things, because even in our own lives we have to overcome something, have to preserve relationship with some people. This is a Great Day indeed.

Scott512

I love this day now when I'm adult. I like that so many people are ready to tell their stories - as if all those people are my family. I really love this feeling now. Partly this celebration is sad, but... I think it teaches us many important things, because even in our own lives we have to overcome something, have to preserve relationship with some people. This is a Great Day indeed.
To go from that great day of Victory Day to a sad day today because I heard there was a shooting in Kazan. :(

I like how the figure skaters takes pride and Victory Day.

mjb52

What happened in Kazan is really sad. It's been so cool to see skating expanding beyond Moscow and St. Petersburg in recent years (or maybe it just wasn't as visible to Americans before all the streaming of events). I always get excited to learn about new (to me) places, and Kazan was one that I found especially interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information