From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

Well it's early in the season and their training must have been affected by the *********. I am not too worried / can't worry too much about her jumps for now.

Again - if the jumps are indeed regressing and it forced her to focus more on clean landings than annoying transitions out, I am OK with that.

Maybe its because I watched Kamila right before Anna but it almost looked to me that she took a page out of Kamila's book on her jump landings. Obviously not as hyper extended but she looked like she was trying to stretch out her free leg and rise it a bit higher. Or maybe I'm just seeing things because Kamila is sticking in my head :lol:

lala

She just seems un-anchored somehow and I don't like Plushchenko as a coach for her. He seems like a really good fit for Trusova but not for her. But of course there's a lot of time to turn things around. I guess Trusova's decision seemed well-considered and like something she planned and executed deliberately. Kostornaya's seems to have been more impulsive and so that makes it feel more dubious in a way - not in terms of splitting from Eteri but in terms of the bigger picture of how she will be proceeding now. And now the test skates have been rough too. So it's natural to be nervous, but it doesn't mean she can't succeed of course! I'm sure we can all come up with examples of skaters who have struggled and ultimately excelled. It's only been a month or two and she's a great skater.

Maybe you are right but Alyona really enjoys her new environment

3T3T

I really hope this move works our for both Kostornaia and Trusova. It’s been a very odd time for everyone so I don’t think we can rush to judgement. Historically skaters who leave Eteri don’t do well but I want these guys to do well. Especially so as I thought Eteri‘s commentart was so bitter with Aliona left.

For Sasha you could see the improvement, definitely in the short. She seems very happy in the team and seemed very close to Ilinykh. I also think she has had time to settle in to the new group. Kostornaia has only moved recently hasn’t yet had the time to settle in and has a very disjointed training regime in recent weeks. I think the main reason for her move was Rozanov, she has always referenced him as being key to regaining her 3A.

It was funny at the test skates to see the huge level of support for Med, she got by far the biggest cheers from the audience. I hope she is in better shape for Russian Cup 1.

With P/R missing the first Russian Cup through illness, I hope they can be given a second event or a bye to Nationals. I would be gutted for them if they didn’t qualify. I liked Leonid S from what I seen last year, so hopefully it works out for him.

mjb52

Yes perhaps it's honestly more my problem than Kostornaya's to be fair.

There's some crazy gossip out there about another coaching change but it isn't confirmed yet so I will wait to see what's what.

Bigbird

There's some crazy gossip out there about another coaching change but it isn't confirmed yet so I will wait to see what's what.

From Eteri to Plushenko? Cannot be the window closed in fact, it doesn't even exist. Trouble makers.

mjb52

I was about to go to bed, bad timing for me, no way I could fall asleep. I'm sure I'll be up for hours for nothing too.

seabm7

Maybe you are talking about this?

It's not official, but a rumor heard from several sources.

Ka3sha

starrynight

Surely the relationship between Tutberidze and Medvedeva is so ruined that a reconciliation would be impossible??

EDIT - well there it is.

It’s clear that Medvedeva is a results focused girl and if she’s stuck in Russia due to ‘rona then Sambo 70 is a good place to train. Knock me down with a feather.

Im as interested as anyone to see how they are going to paper over the massively bitter split of 2018.

Last edited:

mjb52

I should go look, there are probably 1000 comments by now on the article I saw first when it was still unconfirmed.

Hope Brian won't feel too badly, the whole situation just seemed untenable.

Bigbird

Lord knows I am. I want to see her fanbase reaction. FSO will do in the meantime 🤣
But to what end? Medvedeva seems chronically injured and weak. She herself said she has reached that point in her career where she needs to rest more?? The Rona baby, the Rona. Haha.

starrynight

This is far bigger news than someone leaving Eteri.

Man, I didn’t think Eteri would be interested in an older ex-skater. She seems to be more about the current next thing ie packaging up Valieva with Bolero for 2022 gold.

But Medvedeva’s mad international dash for ice during rona showed how single-mindedly she will pursue success. And I expect that she’s decided that if she has to train in Russia, Eteri is the best chance at success.

Super interested to see what happens here. Medvedeva probably won’t be too interested in standing in line with the 10 year olds at Sambo 70.

angi

Khrustalny official confirmed the news: Evgenia Medvedeva is back to Tutberidze’s group
My two most burning thoughts:
1. So glad they managed to move past the tragic flowers incident.
2. Wondering how will Tinami dig herself out of the "Medvedeva is evil" hole.

But seriously, aside from getting a bigger push from the federation, I can't see this decision being much help for Medvedeva.

zounger

This is far bigger news than someone leaving Eteri.

Man, I didn’t think Eteri would be interested in an older ex-skater. She seems to be more about the current next thing ie packaging up Valieva with Bolero for 2022 gold.

But Medvedeva’s mad international dash for ice during rona showed how single-mindedly she will pursue success. And I expect that she’s decided that if she has to train in Russia, Eteri is the best chance at success.

Super interested to see what happens here. Medvedeva probably won’t be too interested in standing in line with the 10 year olds at Sambo 70.

Zagitova forced to end and now the road is open that's what happened.

TallyT

I should go look, there are probably 1000 comments by now on the article I saw first when it was still unconfirmed.

Hope Brian won't feel too badly, the whole situation just seemed untenable.

Given what he's put up with from her and the Russian fandom since 2018, I wouldn't mind betting relief is first and foremost on his mind. He's supposedly looking at retirement after the next Olympics, isn't he?

lala

Maybe you are talking about this?

It's not official, but a rumor heard from several sources.

smart decision, I believe

Skibean

Wow. I like Medvedeva with Orser and she seemed truly happy. This is unexpected. Why did this happen sooner if she has been unable to get into Canada for some time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information