From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiK

Wife/Finnboy have beaten junior worlds gold medalist'15/ new partner several times in their first season and finisehd 5th at universiade in their 1st international outing.
could have been worse, or?

That's ok if you want to keep your expectations low , I guess ;)

hanca

Values her privacy
Last I recall you also said Ilinykh would NEVER help train Morozov's daughter. So much for predictions.
I never claimed that I am always right. I am expressing my opinion based on what I consider likely or unlikely. Starting with ice dance when he is going to move to seniors in two years time - I don't think that it is likely that he will ever get as far as any serious results, such as getting a GP event, Europeans, worlds. He will be competing against couples who are currently medalling at junior worlds, whereas he is a beginner to ice dance. So, in my view, it is not likely he can catch up all those years they were working on their edges while he worked on his jumps. But take notice, I am saying I consider it unlikely, not impossible.

hanca

Values her privacy
IM usually really :blah::blah: with 3rd-4th tier skaters switching disciplines so late in the game just to stay afloat in the deep field. But Adian's departure was so premature and he was so promising that im willing to blindly root for them. At least they can't do worse than Davankova or Stavitskaya, right??

Plus they are so young and russian dance is in such a sad state that they could be hopefuls for 2022.
He probably can't do worse than Stavitskaya, but he will probably do much worse than Davankova. Davankova has a huge advantage by being married to Morozov. Davankova had much better results after a year of ice dance than Stavitskaya after two years. But nothing is lost. Aidan could get married to Kustarova and get the same advantage. ;)

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
At least Adian can smugly smile and tell Eteri that he finally found the love he was looking for. :coffee: (Didn't have to be a girlfriend after all) They already have a future based on her flexibility IMO, I don't think very rationally when there's so much potential at hand.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I actually am looking forward to seeing Lozko/Pitkeev compete together. I think they have great potential since both are very talented. And, as stated before, the state of Russian Ice Dance is so tragic that they might do very well.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I really loved Lozko's programs this season. I wish she were with an experienced partner and a real coach.

I can't really picture Ilinykh dealing with the day to day drudgery of being a coach. What happens when she gets bored and wants to jet off with some guy? Coaches are supposed to wake up earlier and plan everything for their students in addition to the time spent on ice. Is she still affiliated with Kustarova and Alexeeva and they are just letting her say she's the main coach?

zebraswan

Elena hasn't said anything at all. It was simply reported by a "source." I doubt that she is working entirely alone with them.

Isn't it possible that she can change or mature like most people do in their 20s? We are privy to about 1% of what goes on in these skaters' lives, at most, and they are not static. Perhaps she is ready for the responsibility, and she will be so invested in her students that she doesn't mind the drudgery. Or maybe she'll grab the first available partner she can find to go back to competing.

hanca

Values her privacy
Elena hasn't said anything at all. It was simply reported by a "source." I doubt that she is working entirely alone with them.

Isn't it possible that she can change or mature like most people do in their 20s? We are privy to about 1% of what goes on in these skaters' lives, at most, and they are not static. Perhaps she is ready for the responsibility, and she will be so invested in her students that she doesn't mind the drudgery. Or maybe she'll grab the first available partner she can find to go back to competing.
It can also be a temporary thing, while she is looking for a partner, or while she will figure out what exactly she wants to do next. It is not that unusual for elite skaters to coach, e.g. Smirnov was coaching when Kavaguti was recovering from her injuries.

clairecloutier

i think Elena has always intended to coach. She said as much in an interview a couple years ago; she also said she already had ideas for how she wanted to coach, things she wanted to do. Who knows how it will work out, I wish her success though. (Of course I'd still rather see her ON the ice.)

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Even if this is short-term, it must be a thrill for the skaters she's working with, especially since they're so new at the discipline.

Ka3sha

Interview with Aleksandra Boikova and Dmitry Kozlovsky for St Pete's magazine
http://sobaka.ru/city/sport/58714

Both started skating at 4, Dmitry was skating in Mishin's group but two years ago decided to reture from single skating and moved to Moskvina. Aleksandra started skating in Elena Klimova's group (who is Fedor Klimov's mother) after that moved to Mishin and then to Moskvina.
Aleksandra is fluent in English and is learning German now, she also is interested in photography and drawing (she had been studying at art school in Hermitage for 6 years). He is a ballet fan, loves Mariinsky and Grand Opera in Paris. The last book she has read is Carnegie's "How to Win Friends and Influence People", he - lord Chesterfield's "Letters to His Sone". Dmitry graduated from school last month, wants to get a barchelor degree in international relations

Last edited:

Katarzyna

Pitkeev says he has retired from singles skating http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20170626/1122218604.html
Adian here mentions that he tried to solve his back condition and visited a lot of doctors, but his back problem seems to be chronic and that he just can't jump at all any longer at a serious level. The maximum strain his back seems to tolerate is a 3A, which is not enough for today’s competitive single skating. :(

Well, I wish Lozko and Pitkeev luck. It`s always sad when young athletes have to quit the sport due to injuries and who knows maybe they can have a nice career together.
I too wish them well. I like Alisa and Adian is one of my favourite skaters anyways, now even more. It’s incredibly sad he had to finish his career as single skater when showing so much potential, what a blow it must have been for him. :wuzrobbed Still he so much wants to continue skating that he is prepared to start from scratch again in dance. I so much hope it will work out for him, but just trying ice dance deserves deep respect. :respec:

As I like to show Adian support from his fans, I set up a fan project for him. Details can be seen here:
https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/fan-project-for-adian-pitkeev.101463/

lala

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, Gubanova
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHEHfBCE1UA
I'm cheering for her for years. I chose her instead of Liza Nugumanova.( Don't get me wrong Liza is amazing , too). I saw Gubanova very special, she is one of those skaters who amazes me at first sight. I hope she will be a consistent skater, her jumps will be stabil.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
Alina Zagitova
SP: Black Swan, The Middle of the World (Moonlight OST)
FS: Don Quixote (2016-17 FS)
Original Russian Source [interview by Olga Ermolina]: http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/302...a-ldu-babushka-podruzhilas-s-kompyuterom.html
Google translation of the the headline is Alina Zagitova: "To follow my performances on the ice, the grandmother made friends with a computer"
( Google translation of interview )

In case this YT video hasn't been posted here before: Alina Zagitova "Tough child" Subtitled English and Español. (Documentary 2017)

ETA - Zagitova and Maria Sotskova were awarded (with athletes from many other sports) the title of "Master of Sports of Russia of International Class" from the Russian Federation's Ministry of Sport on June 26: https://www.minsport.gov.ru/documents/awards/30744/

Last edited:

Katarzyna

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, Gubanova
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHEHfBCE1UA
Thank you for the link. I love Nastia Gubanova. Together with Polina she was my favourite among Russian Juniors last year (I too liked her more than Nugumanova, but also more than Zagitova). Some skaters just touch your soul. Nastia is one of them. I could watch this girl just stroking to the music, no jumps needed. :inavoid:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Thank you for the link. I love Nastia Gubanova. Together with Polina she was my favourite among Russian Juniors last year (I too liked her more than Nugumanova, but also more than Zagitova). Some skaters just touch your soul. Nastia is one of them. I could watch this girl just stroking to the music, no jumps needed. :inavoid:

Gubanova is a rare talent. I have been watching her since she was 10. She has extraordinary maturity to her skating, she is a complete skater even at a very young age.

Last edited:

Lis

I love Gubanova too, she has a musicality very few skaters have , thought for a minute it was the new SP but this video is last seasons SP and whoever posted the video changed the music.
Anyhow she is indeed a rare talent, really really hope she will be consistent with her jumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information