Figure Skating Videos vs Youtube

MAXSwagg

People need to make an effort to back up everything. Just as these large greedy and in many cases criminal corporations have access to technology, so will regular people, which I garner will always be ahead even if it’s just one step (or mid-stride). It’s a poor situation right now but materials will be distributed in some way.

mtnskater

I'd still like to record from TV skating broadcasts to a DVD. I stopped doing that a year or two ago. I have an old DVD recorder from the early 2000's that still works, but it does not record in high definition and the picture format is different so it distorts the picture. I did not think DVD recorders were still for sale in the U.S. since the big corporations like Sony, etc. managed to get them stopped from being sold here. Is anyone aware where you can buy a new DVD recorder that records in HD in the U.S.?

Another issue is it had become increasingly difficult to get blank DVDs of decent quality to record on. I have a very large DVD collection of skating with some broadcasts starting in the 1970's...maybe even a little bit from the 1960's. I used to do a lot of tape trading.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
3Axel1996 YouTube channel is gone. Anyone knows what happened? it was a great source of skating videos from the 80's & 90's. Big loss for fans of that era :(.

Indeed, its an archive of the history of skating. There’s likely a few pieces to that puzzle, but I don’t necessarily think it was copyright related. IOC had already allowed his videos to be posted. His content was largely from the 80s/90s and early 2000s, instead of the GP videos that are removed today. There’s more to it.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
3Axel1996 YouTube channel is gone. Anyone knows what happened? it was a great source of skating videos from the 80's & 90's. Big loss for fans of that era :(.
OMG NO. Does anyone know how to contact him? We have got to get the videos mirrored somewhere on a private server.

Clay

OMG NO. Does anyone know how to contact him? We have got to get the videos mirrored somewhere on a private server.

I know his name and how to find him, but I’m not sure if he wants to be contacted. I could be wrong though.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I know his name and how to find him, but I’m not sure if he wants to be contacted. I could be wrong though.
Well I would be asking for him to upload the content to another server or offering to help him, not his social security number. lol

Seerek

I remember that The Skating Lesson used quite of bit of footage from 3Axel1996's videos for their early interviews with skaters from the 70s/80s/90s.

pat c

Has anyone else used this? It's new to me, but 3Axel1996 has some stuff on here.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Until 2003, I used to have everything on VHS. I still have a lot of those tapes and plan to transfer them one day.
(There must be hundreds of tapes, and they take up an entire IKEA bookshelf. Yikes).

Since then, I have downloaded a lot of the major competitions, and the crazy thing is, everything from the past 16 years fits on a couple of external drives, which are about half the size of a video tape each.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I remember that The Skating Lesson used quite of bit of footage from 3Axel1996's videos for their early interviews with skaters from the 70s/80s/90s.

I know that 3Axel1996 has had issues with copyright in the past, and had to relaunch his site. I wonder if TSL using his content had anything to do with him being shut down.

Clay

Well I would be asking for him to upload the content to another server or offering to help him, not his social security number. lol
Although I’m tempted to reach out to him at this time, I hoping someone he knows in the skating community will reach out to him. Perhaps others from FSU knows him and can reach out. I think I’ll wait a bit.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Although I’m tempted to reach out to him at this time, I hoping someone he knows in the skating community will reach out to him. Perhaps others from FSU knows him and can reach out. I think I’ll wait a bit.

Talk about Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. He is a Facebook friend of a friend of a friend.

I don't know him, but for all intents and purposes, he is apparently a 'strong' personality.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I sometimes wonder how TSL has escaped being shut down by YouTube.

The fact they have recently started to post Ledin Video content on their site, is clearly a massive copyright infringement if they don't have that company's permission to do so.

Ledin, for all intents and purposes, were contracted by the USFSA to video tape all levels of competition at US Nationals, and would offer VHS copies of each event for purchase. Their buyers consisted mostly of avid fans, or parents whose children were competing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information