Figure skater & team retirement announcements in 2021-22

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada's June 7th press release (cross-posting here from the Canadian Pairs news thread):
Three-time Canadian pair champions Kirsten Moore-Towers, 29, St. Catharines, Ont., and Michael Marinaro, 30, Sarnia, Ont., have retired from competitive skating. The team began skating together in June 2014.
Moore-Towers is relocating to Vancouver, she looks forward to sharing her love of skating in her new community and is excited to explore new roles within the figure skating community. She will continue to advocate for the mental health of athletes and will be cheering on the next generation of skaters from the stands.
Marinaro looks forward to staying involved in the sport and spreading his love and passion for figure skating.
ETA the link to Kirsten's personal retirement message (copied out in full in the Canadian Pairs news thread) with a montage of clips: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cego7l5pGCU/

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Tina Garabedian announced her retirement about 30 minutes ago on her IG - https://www.instagram.com/p/CekKQnCjn1l/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
After 20 years of dedicating my life to the sport that I love deeply, I am happy to announce my retirement from competitive skating. I have always felt so beautiful and free when skating, as if the ice is where I belong. It has been my home, where I have spent every morning for as long as I can remember. People used to ask me if it was hard to “miss out” on plans or activities growing up because I needed to sleep early for skating, stay in on weekends to rest up for the week, not be able to take off and leave on vacation or miss school when competing. What I have understood is that skating has given me so many opportunities and experiences I could not get elsewhere. I have met so many amazing athletes, built connections with my coaches, have travelled the world doing what I love, gained the support of wonderful fans, have the honor to represent Armenia internationally and earned the right to call myself an Olympian. This sport has completed my life in so many wonderful ways, I am forever grateful. I have given my all, dedicated all my energy to succeed and it was all worth it. I am so proud of myself for putting in blood, sweat and tears to finally achieve my goals and make my dream come true. Undeniably I am so grateful to be an Olympian, but the journey to get there has assured me of how strong I really am, both physically and mentally. For that reason, I feel at peace with my decision and wish my team-mates at IAM continuous success as their journey goes on.

Thank you to my parents and my husband. You have been my biggest supporters from day 1. I hope I made you proud ❤️ Thank you to all of my coaches for helping me reach my goals and become the person I am today. You have been like my family on the ice and I will forever cherish the times we spent together 🥰 Thank you Simon for all of our accomplishments over the years and making our dream come true. We made it! Thank you so much to the Armenian Figure Skating Federation for giving us the opportunity to represent Armenia 🇦🇲 Your support meant a lot to us. A big thank you to all of my friends, family and fans for all the love and support I received over the years! You mean the world to me 🙏🏼

Sylvia

TBD
Is Simon continuing?
Simon Proulx Sénécal's latest Instagram stories are from Blackpool, England: https://www.instagram.com/simsenecal/

Looks like he'll be performing in this show from July through September 2022: https://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/shows/hot-ice/

From December 2021:
I recently saw an IG story that indicated Hallam will be in the cast in Blackpool this summer.

Evgeniafan

Ashley Cain & Timothy LeDuc's retirement announcement (filmed inside a car) on their joint Instagram account today: https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cev4QVzg4bP/

Ashley will tour in some ice shows and continue coaching with her parents.
Timothy will start coaching in July in Chicago.
They will try and do some ice shows together in the future.
I can't do a like. Because I need to do like because its for the best, but I'm sad so I want the sad emoji, too.

JJH

I settled for the sad emoji because I'm sad that Ashley's injuries forced this wonderful pair team to retire. Absolutely the right choice, but for a very sad reason. Is there absolutely no chance that Timothy might continue?

Karen-W

It saddens me that they're no longer going to compete, but it does lift my spirits to see that they are both in a good place emotionally and, more importantly, that they seem to still be on the best of terms with each other. Their friendship is so beautiful and it gladdens my heart for them.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

I settled for the sad emoji because I'm sad that Ashley's injuries forced this wonderful pair team to retire. Absolutely the right choice, but for a very sad reason. Is there absolutely no chance that Timothy might continue?

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Ashley/Timothy retired just because of Ashley's injury. They had been noncommittal about future competition plans before Ashley's accident at Worlds. Tim is 32, after all, so they may just feel this is the right time to start the next phase of their life.

Karen-W

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Ashley/Timothy retired just because of Ashley's injury. They had been noncommittal about future competition plans before Ashley's accident at Worlds. Tim is 32, after all, so they may just feel this is the right time to start the next phase of their life.
I don't think I was expecting another full quad out of them, but I'll admit I was hoping against hope despite Ashley's injury, that we might get another season out of them. I would have loved for them to make the GPF and another chance at that Worlds medal they missed out on this year.

Sylvia

TBD
France's Adrien Tesson, 25, posted his retirement announcement back on May 24: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd82Ie0IHeS/

English version:
I think it's time to announce (even if you suspect it) that I am now putting an end to my sporting career, these last 10 years at the top level have been very rich. She gave me sorrows, joys, encounters and unforgettable moments. I don't have enough words to describe the pleasure it was for me to be part of the French skating team within the @ffsportsdeglace. It is with a lot of emotion that I write this message which for me is the end of a chapter. I continue to write the book, because I become a coach and it is naturally that I choose to use my knowledge and my experience of the discipline for the champions of tomorrow. Thank you all for supporting me, thank you to my training club (CCSG) and my adoption club (CSGC). Thanks to my family ❤️ and thanks to @johnwilsonblades @risportfrance / @risportskates and @interglace_promoglace.

Link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013738.htm

ETA:
Danielle Harrison (GBR) posted her retirement message today, April 18: https://www.instagram.com/p/CcgAUC0s-tp/
I saw an Instagram story she posted that indicated she is off to Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas ship.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

Plus, lifting your partner over your head and throwing them in jumps is really demanding physically. After that many years of competing in pairs, Timothy's body may need some rest too.

Jammers

I Can't believe that the US has gone from being 2nd in the World only to the Russians in Pairs depth to being totally wiped out of good teams in just a few months. When is the last time the US lost so many quality teams in a season?

Sylvia

TBD
@Jammers, Knierim/Frazier have not announced anything yet. ICYMI - Hersh's 6/15 tweet: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1537142422047793155

The Hungarian federation's website posted the news about Mark Magyar's (expected) retirement back on March 29:

"And what about Ioulia Chtchetinina? To this question, she replied that she wanted to focus on her studies now, but she was about to find a match for next season and continue his career, as, as she said, she still felt the fire and the opportunity."

oubik

I've found other probably retired and split (in case of pairs and ID teams) skaters in some valid document I couldn't post a link here. Those were not (if I am not mistaken) discussed here. Do you have any confirmation if those infos are accurate?:

Men: Konstantin Milyukov (BLR), Joseph Phan (CAN)

Pairs: Vanessa James / Eric Radford /CAN (there were speculations they are continuing, seems not), Zoe Jones / Christopher Boyadji / GBR (was discussed as retired but the document called them as split couple, is this mean Chris is looking for a partner?, probably Chis but since Zoe is a wonder woman, should be her :)), Lana Petranovic / Antonio Souza Cordeiro / CRO (seems like both retired, not only him), Wang Yuchen / Huang Yihang / CHN (both retired), Maria Pavlova / Balasz Nagy / HUN (split,so Hungary is without Pairs, like Poland and Spain as:) - Dorota Broda / Pedro Bettegon Martin (both retired) and finally Meghan Fredette / William St-Louis / CAN (split, not sure, but probably this was discussed in CAN pairs forum)

Ice Dance: both great Spain teams retirement confirmed, Fear / Waddell of GBR split too, as well as Yanowskaya / Lukacs after missed Olympics at Nebelhorn retirement, also Min / Eaton of KOR retirement confirmed, new for me is the split of Jasmine Tessari / Stephane Walker of SUI.

Dobre

Is this list based off of which athletes have been removed from the World Standings list? Because, yes, it does look like all those dance teams are off the list.

Karen-W

I've found other probably retired and split (in case of pairs and ID teams) skaters in some valid document I couldn't post a link here. Those were not (if I am not mistaken) discussed here. Do you have any confirmation if those infos are accurate?:

Men: Konstantin Milyukov (BLR), Joseph Phan (CAN)

Pairs: Vanessa James / Eric Radford /CAN (there were speculations they are continuing, seems not), Zoe Jones / Christopher Boyadji / GBR (was discussed as retired but the document called them as split couple, is this mean Chris is looking for a partner?, probably Chis but since Zoe is a wonder woman, should be her :)), Lana Petranovic / Antonio Souza Cordeiro / CRO (seems like both retired, not only him), Wang Yuchen / Huang Yihang / CHN (both retired), Maria Pavlova / Balasz Nagy / HUN (split,so Hungary is without Pairs, like Poland and Spain as:) - Dorota Broda / Pedro Bettegon Martin (both retired) and finally Meghan Fredette / William St-Louis / CAN (split, not sure, but probably this was discussed in CAN pairs forum)

Ice Dance: both great Spain teams retirement confirmed, Fear / Waddell of GBR split too, as well as Yanowskaya / Lukacs after missed Olympics at Nebelhorn retirement, also Min / Eaton of KOR retirement confirmed, new for me is the split of Jasmine Tessari / Stephane Walker of SUI.
Phan was noted in the Canadian Men's discussion - no official announcement from him or Skate Canada, but it was noticed that he was no longer on the WS list when it was updated last Friday. I noticed Milyukov was off the list, but failed to mention it in the GP thread since he's from Belarus and they aren't eligible for assignments at any rate.

Jones/Boyadji both said they were finished with competitive skating at Worlds. Petranovic is on IPS and she's still quite young, so it seems she is looking for a partner and wants to continue. Broda is also on IPS and stated, when Pedro announced his retirement, that she wanted to continue. I think Pavlova already has a new partner, but can't recall for sure.

Thanks for the confirmation about Wang/Huang. I can remove them from the list of potential pairs teams for GP assignments.

Min/Eaton haven't skated together since Nebelhorn last fall, so an official retirement doesn't surprise me. I also noticed that Tessari/Walker weren't on the updated WS list last Friday, but since they were so far down the SB Top 75 list, the likelihood of them receiving any assignment was negligible and I just took them off my "eligible list" in the GP predictions thread without any fanfare. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Broda is also on IPS and stated, when Pedro announced his retirement, that she wanted to continue.
Spanish news article from April 2022 about Pedro BETEGON MARTIN's retirement (noticed it was not posted in this thread) and Broda's partner search:
It should be noted that the dissolution of the team was agreed in advance, as indicated by Pedro Betegón to HIELO ESPAÑOL. “It was a decision that he had in mind for quite some time. I'm older now and I wanted to return to Spain to change my life. Also, training and living abroad is quite expensive, even though the Spanish federation helps us”.
Betegón, who returned to Madrid after the last World Cup, comments that he will continue to be linked to skating "collaborating" with the couples of his club. In fact, last week he was attending the duos formed by Carolina Campillo & Miguel Martos, Inés Moudden & Alejandro García and Marta Laviña & Ismael Hernández at the couples seminar organized by the International Skating Union (ISU) in Berlin. “Neither Sara (Antón) nor Ainhoa (Jimeno) could go for personal reasons and the FEDH asked me to accompany them. From now on, whenever I can, I'll lend a hand."
His goal right now is to look for a job as a pharmacist, a career he has taken. “Next year, in October, I start a master's degree in clinical trial monitoring and management, which is the field I want to dedicate myself to,” he adds.
DOROTA BRODA LOOKS FOR A NEW PARTNER
“I plan to continue”, comments Dorota Broda to HIELO ESPAÑOL. “I am looking for a partner, but it is difficult. I have contacted several skaters, but I have not yet obtained many fruits. While I continue with the search process, I keep fit in Bergamo. The first thing is to find a partner and then we'll see."

Sylvia

TBD
... Joseph Phan (CAN)
Phan was noted in the Canadian Men's discussion - no official announcement from him or Skate Canada, but it was noticed that he was no longer on the WS list when it was updated last Friday.
Link to my post in the Canadian Men's news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-news-and-updates.108319/page-25#post-6266952
Pairs: Vanessa James / Eric Radford /CAN (there were speculations they are continuing, seems not)
Link to my post in the Canadian Pairs news thread (also no official confirmation yet from either them or Skate Canada): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-news-and-updates.108317/page-18#post-6266955

@oubik, I've also just noted -- in the 2021-22 OES thread -- that Tessari/Walker's names are not included on the 2022-23 Swiss National team that's linked here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/oes-news-2021-2022-season.108400/page-5#post-6267869

RoseRed

For both Joseph Phan and James/Radford, in addition to not being on the WS list, they were on the initial Patinage Quebec team list for next season, but both are missing from the recent more detailed list. So although there's no official announcement, that's extra confirmation.

Edit: I believe Chen/Sun are also missing from the WS list in dance

Karen-W

For both Joseph Phan and James/Radford, in addition to not being on the WS list, they were on the initial Patinage Quebec team list for next season, but both are missing from the recent more detailed list. So although there's no official announcement, that's extra confirmation.

Edit: I believe Chen/Sun are also missing from the WS list in dance
They wouldn't be on it because they don't have any points from last season or the season before. They only competed twice last season - 9th at GPItalia wouldn't have earned any points and their 2nd place at Asian Open also wouldn't have earned any points since it was strictly a domestic competition after all the international teams withdrew because of the travel issues. 2020-21, the only event where points were earned was Worlds and China sent Wang/Liu instead.

RoseRed

They wouldn't be on it because they don't have any points from last season or the season before. They only competed twice last season - 9th at GPItalia wouldn't have earned any points and their 2nd place at Asian Open also wouldn't have earned any points since it was strictly a domestic competition after all the international teams withdrew because of the travel issues. 2020-21, the only event where points were earned was Worlds and China sent Wang/Liu instead.
Oh right, yeah that makes sense. I forgot Asian Open ended up domestic.

Trillian

I would say the US didn't have much depth beyond its top two teams either. In other words, the usual situation in US pairs skating for the past couple of years at least.

The U.S. had four teams that were all pretty closely matched (until K&F pulled way ahead) and the fifth best team wasn’t far off. It’s not Russia, but I can’t think of another country that has a better argument for being #2 this past season.

But now at least three of the five are done, so… here we are again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information