Favorite Skating Conspiracy Theories

Dolore

After years of Sekret Babies I had become a little desensitized to all the madness that's going on but after some trolls in the P/C thread claimed that Skate Canada ordered thousands of North Koreans to cheer for VM only and give the cold shoulder to PC, my interest in conspiracy theories came back.

Do you know of any crazy theories past and present that made the rounds in the skating fandom? And I mean the really odd ones, not just rumors about corrupt judges (it's figure skating, all judges cheat).

bwayrose7

If I'm remembering this one correctly, it was always meant as a joke, not an actual theory that anyone believes, but it was pretty oddly specific all the same: that *something* happened between DW the night between the OD and FD at the 2008 Cup of Russia (that's the comp where Charlie fell 3 times during the OD but they still eked out a bronze) and that's why they rebounded so well for the FD.

Johnny_Fever

.................after some trolls in the P/C thread claimed that Skate Canada ordered thousands of North Koreans to cheer for VM only and give the cold shoulder to PC................
I doubt that's a theory. During the PyeongChang Olympics, one member of their squad let down her guard and clapped for Alexa & Chris Knierim. She was promptly told to knock it off. There used to be a video, but its been deleted.

Dolore

Last time I checked Tessa had three babies but that was two years ago, who knows how many babies she has given birth to since :rofl:

I doubt that's a theory. During the PyeongChang Olympics, one member of their squad let down her guard and clapped for Alexa & Chris Knierim. She was promptly told to knock it off. There used to be a video, but its been deleted.

The North Korean cheering squad consisted of 230 women (not 3000), all dressed in the same uniform, and they weren't allowed to cheer for anybody but North Korea. None of the present journalists or fans mentioned any of them being at the free dance. If there had been a North Korean squad dominating the audience the Shibs wouldn't have gotten such a huge applause because the North Koreans weren't allowed to cheer for any American athletes and we can safely assume that Didier would have ranted and complained about it to the press for months to come.
The only one who claims there were thousands (not just 200) North Koreans in the audience is a poster in the P/C thread who doesn't appear to have been in the arena. Doesn't sound like a valid theory to me.

Icetigger

That the Canadian Judge at the Olympics for the SD and FD was secretly the head of Skate Canada. Oh no, wait........

With regard to the original posts on another thread to which the thread starter Dobbin is referring, no-one actually said that Skate Canada had ordered 3000 fans for V/m from North Korea. Another poster said that it was the case that there were 3000 fans that only cheered for V/M from North Korea; and I wrote that audience rigging was a pastime as old as the hills, and that based on the fact the Canadian judge was the head of Skate Canada, who placed W/P 3 to 5 places above any judge, that it wouldn't surprise me if there had been [some degree of] audience rigging.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That some of the audience at the ice dance medal ceremony at 2001 worlds (in Vancouver) turned their backs on the ceremony because Skate Canada told them to, as an expression of displeasure that Bourne & Kraatz did not win a medal.

(FWIW the people I know who were there and turned their backs did so because, in their opinion, the judging was so blatantly biased, regardless of where B&K placed. And Skate Canada had nothing to do with them, at least.)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City

How do you know it was deleted?? You're part of the cover-up too!!! :blocjudge

Judy

That the Canadian Judge at the Olympics for the SD and FD was secretly the head of Skate Canada. Oh no, wait........

With regard to the original posts on another thread to which the thread starter Dobbin is referring, no-one actually said that Skate Canada had ordered 3000 fans for V/m from North Korea. Another poster said that it was the case that there were 3000 fans that only cheered for V/M from North Korea; and I wrote that audience rigging was a pastime as old as the hills, and that based on the fact the Canadian judge was the head of Skate Canada, who placed W/P 3 to 5 places above any judge, that it wouldn't surprise me if there had been [some degree of] audience rigging.

I’ve been to lots of skating competitions and have never been told who to and who not to clap for.

There was controversy at 2001 worlds wasn’t there? I can’t remember.

VGThuy

Outside of the cheerleaders, there probably weren't even 30 North Koreans in the audience much less 3,000. It seems super random to say "North Koreans" but I guess it'll guarantee that the crazy conspiracy can live on as an audience member who also happened to be North Korean wouldn't be likely to exist so it can go on FSU to dispute it.

Johnny_Fever

How do you know it was deleted?? :blocjudge
:) Because every article links to this: "Video unavailable: The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement."

There's an animated image in this article that tells the story. You'll have to scroll down past the videos.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
What still sticks out to me was the whole Surya Bonaly and her mother thing... Conspiracies of where Surya was from, who her mom was.... Because people thought it wasnt her Mom...

They were private, and didnt speak to media much.

Her mom also served as her coach.

I still remember some of that good ole fashion 90's drama!!!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
That some of the audience at the ice dance medal ceremony at 2001 worlds (in Vancouver) turned their backs on the ceremony because Skate Canada told them to, as an expression of displeasure that Bourne & Kraatz did not win a medal.

I don't recall anyone ever saying it was backed by Skate Canada, but as someone who was in the arena the behaviour of certain home fans in the crowd that night was a disgrace.

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Wasn’t Didier a big part about spreading rumors about Surya’s origin? He probably wanted to play up her “exoticness” for PR reasons.
Oh sure, he was ! To me it was (and still is) a form of racism at its worth. Like "exhibiting" Africans, Asians and people from other French colonies at Paris exposition in 1889. And it happened in the 90s. Let's go see Surya at the zoo :rolleyes::mad: She was born in Nice, from a mother native of Reunion Island and was adopted by the Bonaly family when she was 8 m.o. He tried to make people believe she was born in Africa or Asia (I can't remember) because it was more peculiar and it attracted attention, i.e. it made her more bankable. BTW Surya will be 45 on Dec 15. Time flies...

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Not exactly a conspiracy theory, but the entire Usova-Zhulin-Grishuk-love triangle was one of the best dramas ever in the history of figure skating. The fluff piece on it is pure gold.
I love the fluff piece on this. I don't know why a movie hasn't been made. Just as interesting as Tonya Harding's story.

Mad for Skating

Since when is Tarasova dating Klimov? I thought she and her partner were an item.

Some people think Tarasova broke up with her partner Morozov to go date Klimov. (TBH, Tarasova/Morozov haven't posted any cute coupley photos in a long time and looked a little less cuddly together than usual at Skate America IMO). But of course, we don't have any proof so that's why it's in the Conspiracy thread :D

Spun Silver

Has anyone mentioned the rumor that Davis and White only won their OGM through some sort of judging skullduggery? I don't remember what the exact accusation was. I had the impression it was sour grapes from V/M ubers.

D

Deleted member 74551

Has anyone mentioned the rumor that Davis and White only won their OGM through some sort of judging skullduggery? I don't remember what the exact accusation was. I had the impression it was sour grapes from V/M ubers.

It originated from a French report (L’Equipe, I think?) alleging that a deal had taken place between Russia and the USA to help Russia secure team gold and D/W dance gold. Didn’t make much sense, can’t win a OGM from only one judge.

Last edited by a moderator:

sap5

Didn’t make much sense, can’t win a OGM from only one judge.

Tell that to Didier.

As for the North Korean rumor, I do know that there were many *South* Korean VM fans who organized specifically to show their support for VM (they were the ones who made the banners that were English on one side and Korean on the other). It was quite the effort, and the fact that they actually made and passed out hundreds of free banners to anyone who wanted it still gets me. But that was just a fan effort -- nothing State/Fed sponsored.

VGThuy

Right, which is way different from what some people were selling about the reaction being artificial or whatever. The fact that there was a fan-made push meant that V/M's skating inspired fans to root for them, which means it was all about V/M's skating itself that inspired such a positive reaction.

:) Because every article links to this: "Video unavailable: The YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated due to multiple third-party notifications of copyright infringement."

There's an animated image in this article that tells the story. You'll have to scroll down past the videos.

There were absolutely no NK cheerleaders at the ice dance event tho. I was there (and have my ticket to prove it) and was actually really curious to see if they'd show up lol. The video might be from the pairs event which I'm told by a friend who went to all 4 events was the only one they showed up at.

-
Ah shucks, I just realized how wierd it seems for this to be my first post lmao. I've been lurking here and on GS for a while. Made my account back when I was looking for info about attending the Olys but I guess I never actually posted anything here lol

VGThuy

There were absolutely no NK cheerleaders at the ice dance event tho. I was there (and have my ticket to prove it) and was actually really curious to see if they'd show up lol. The video might be from the pairs event which I'm told by a friend who went to all 4 events was the only one they showed up at.

-
Ah shucks, I just realized how wierd it seems for this to be my first post lmao. I've been lurking here and on GS for a while. Made my account back when I was looking for info about attending the Olys but I guess I never actually posted anything here lol

That makes the most sense as North Korea actually had a pairs team competing, and those cheerleaders were used to cheer for North Korean athletes like the unified Korea hockey team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information